Where do you most attribute to your success

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have been in SW reefing since 2004 and am only now starting to see success with the SPS. What do you attribute to your success keeping SPS and where did you acquire the info, (R2R, BRS, YouTube, friends, etc…)? For me it was having a fight with Dinos. Dinos destroyed my tank. It’s learning from different sources here on R2R about dinos. There is so much contradictory info out there now. Once I started focusing on the microfauna in my tank, it allowed a biodiversity to develop that stabilized my system. Now I am seeing growth and good colors in my SPS.

52287E90-7947-47F4-833B-C610954B261E.jpeg 87DD32E4-D42A-43B6-A1D4-E7CDBEE7C9A3.jpeg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firt reef was in 89.
I run a heavy in heavy out system.
Current 120 is 50% live rock and 25 months old.
Live rock, heavy skimming, carx, dosing trace, minimal water changes, heavy random flow, and dont rush the system has worked well.
Stabilty and Halides with a couple OR3 light bars.
20210805_115735.jpg
20210803_162900.jpg

Last edited:

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My success at this point is based on the knowledge acquired here on Reef2Reef. Interaction with other reefers and advice given in different situations is invaluable. Sometimes you confront an issue but at the moment draw a blank then someone comes along and tells you something that you knew but didn't think of. Thanks REEF2REEF!

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you’re using good equipment, lights, pumps, Skimmer, etc., it’s all about stability. Let the tank age and stabilize, monitor your Alk regularly and don’t make big changes or multiple changes at the same time. Stability, stability, stability.

I’ve been reefing since the 80’s, but my current tank is my first Acro tank. Most of my Acro knowledge I’ve learned from R2R or that “other” site. There is A LOT of advice online and you need to be a little careful what you listen to.

My recommendation is to find a tank or two who are doing great (look at the pics in their build threads) and follow their advice. Ask them questions. People usually love to talk about their tanks! If their tank looks new or is full of nubs, use EXTREME caution with their advice! Also, don’t read just one thread and start making changes. Read multiple threads about the same thing and if you do make changes, take your time and make just one change at a time.

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The game changer for me was being able to manage nutrients and maintain stability.

Learning from many of the talented reefers on R2R will help tremendously. What I love about this hobby is that you never stop learning.

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplicity.

making sure the tank could run on its on without adding a bunch of nonsense.

Sure having great equipment is good, but it goes back to simplifying and ensure that then it is nice and stable. Get a schedule and stick to it, WC, adding additives whether it is Kalk or Alk and calcium. Then try to keep hands out the tank. Things will pick up on its own. Then you can enjoy the results.

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched all the early Bulk Reef Supply youtube videos a decade ago and its so funny comparing production value then vs today. I have also utilized their chat feature hundreds of times. Special shout out to Chad Vossen on that chat always helping me and he emergency helped me save a maroon clown!

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Balancing high volume nutrient import/export

2. keeping my hands out of the tank

3. Buying the largest aquacultured frags I can afford from the most reputable vendors I can afford.

4. I waited a full yr before adding challenging Acros.

I took a long break before this tank and had kids. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to properly take care of an acropora reef now.

Almost the exact opposite. I was forced to setup auto feeders, buy larger frags that needed less babysitting, and can't always make it in front of the tank every day.

These all proved to be difference makers for me vs the last go round with acropora specifically.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everyone

1. Spent yr1 building up their fish load, feeding them heavily and navigating balanced export

&

2. Spent yr 2 on a battle box, a pack from Therman and maybe a TCk or ARC live sale

The "I can't keep SPS" threads would shrink considerably.

Not to say legitimate issues don't arise, but the SPS hobby is saturated with ppl in a rush trying to mimic truly elite hobbyists that are often yrs into their tank.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first nano in 1998 at the age of 12, started attempting acropora in 2002 after I got a job at my LFS and upgraded to a 58gal oceanic reefready with a sump and 250w halide and I had mixed success, I don't believe chemistry/ alk stability was holding me back very much as I was mixing and dripping kalk every night and using those old Aquarium systems SeaTest kits to measure kh/ cal twice a week.

Back then, for me, my limiting factor was the right kind of FLOW.
I had a couple acros do really well to which I believe was their placement in relation to flow, as getting the right flow dynamics without a broad flow propeller pump ($$$ Tunze was the only option at the time) was especially challenging, I was using narrow nozzle Rio's and maxijets "fighting " eachother to throw intermittent gushes of current around the tank.
The biggest jump up in my success with acropora in particular started in 2005 when I got a Tunze 6101 wave pump, it was then that I could start putting acros in any part of the tank and they would do great!

These days I would say embracing consistency and in some aspects automation for me to be a large part of maintaining success with Acropora in particular.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back