Where to Buy REAL (Old-School) Live Rock Harvested from Pacific Ocean?

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been over 15 years since I set up a tank from scratch, without using rock I had in an existing system. I'd like to buy real rock harvested from the Pacific, but the suppliers have dwindled over the years.

I've found this site: http://www.livestockusa.org/ROCK.html

Any other suppliers? I'm not looking for dense, aquacultured chunks; I'm looking for the really gorgeous, showpiece-type of rock.

PLEASE: Let's not debate the merits of different types of rock; I'm just looking for supplier info for what I know I want.

Thanks!

Ken

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said Pacific but if it's not 100% required, tampa bay saltwater has nice LR from the ocean that will come loaded with critters. I'm not sure why you would want live rock other than a few pieces to add to the fauna populations, but you said you didn't want to debate live vs dry rock or whatever here so I won't continue with that. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching for the same myself. Besides the site you already listed, here is the other I can across.

https://www.aquatictech.com/livestock.html

No experience with either place but I'm leaning towards the one you listed. I've been emailing Mitch from livestock.org and he has been pretty responsive. Will contact the other site as well though before making a decision.

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said Pacific but if it's not 100% required, tampa bay saltwater has nice LR from the ocean that will come loaded with critters. I'm not sure why you would want live rock other than a few pieces to add to the fauna populations, but you said you didn't want to debate live vs dry rock or whatever here so I won't continue with that. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

I want to build and stock to a specific biotope (Pacific). I will use the rock to seed the substrate as well. Build system, fill with substrate and water, add rock, and run with full-blown skimming and mechanical filtration in place for cycle. Yes, it will consume a lot of water, and I know the risk re hitch-hikers, but it's the approach I've used before and it's worked well for me.

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bango! Just the sort of info I'm looking for!

I see they are in Cleveland. My wife is from Steubenville, OH. In fact, she and my daughters just left this a.m. to visit her folks. (And like I really thought I was going to use the quiet time to get some work done......... ) One of the upcoming trips in will definitely include a visit to them!

Thanks!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet would be finding someone breaking their tank down that has it.
My rock is tonga and fiji I bought close to 20 years ago at a whopping 16 bucks a lb and it's never been dry.
I could never see myself using dry rock to start a tank

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said pacific, but there's a really cool place in Florida that sells rock. I can't remember the name though... I'll see if I can find it.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said pacific, but there's a really cool place in Florida that sells rock. I can't remember the name though... I'll see if I can find it.

Probably tampa bay saltwater, I said it earlier :p

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I am going to be contacting that store in Cleveland to see how their current supply is. If they have some, I'll be making a road trip. Otherwise I'll just order a couple of boxes. I want some actual live rock for my new set up too.

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I am going to be contacting that store in Cleveland to see how their current supply is. If they have some, I'll be making a road trip. Otherwise I'll just order a couple of boxes. I want some actual live rock for my new set up too.
Please post re your experience/impressions.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the same thing. Everyone these days seems to be into dry lace rock or Caribbean aquacultured rock. Most of what was available here in Atlanta looked like super dense bowling ball chunks with no interesting shapes.I had my lfs order Totoka rock for me and they let me cherry pick through 3 boxes (there was a lot of rubble). I have read that it is shipped by boat so I'm not expecting a ton of organisms to have made it. Very happy with it overall and it stacks like Legos.

IMG_1998.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Walt smith directly. Yes he still imports old school actual from the ocean live rock. I asked him in person.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back