Where to get better gaskets for Shadow overflow?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
My Shadow is leaking via the outside box no matter what I do. I just clipped the drain pipes to the stand, so the box is supported however much the clips can do. I used different gaskets from a spare /new shadow. Still the tiny leak. I seen in another post where the person used other gaskets. I can not find any the size for shadow
**>> can someone please let me know where to get better gaskets? For whatever reasons the ones I have will not seal.
OR do I need to tighten the plastic nuts much beyond hand tight (then they will be very hard to loossen). I know overtightening will also cause leaking.
This is where I saw someone using other gaskets: He seemed to be lucky in that he had some just laying around the right size. Odd. I cant find any anywhere.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/leaking-overflow-shadow-box-v2-new-install.722668/

Please help lol .. this leak is taking a lot of my time right now
TIA!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a crescent wrench to tighten or remove bulkheads
TY for that. USing a wrench I thought is overtightening (?). I cant us a wrench on this bulkhead nut. It's mostly smooth with some light inedentiosn on it, nothing for a wrench to grab. I can probalby use jar top rubber grippers to tighten more. But I dont know why I'd need to do this when their instructions say not to at the same time.
I'll do whatever I need to do that works though and wont cause a leak or something else later

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I wasnt clear at all. The leak is where the box meets the tank. Not at the drains. They are fine. All my other pluming is totally fine, just the bad gaskets at the joining of the outter drain box to the tank is the problem. Pic attached shows the gasket sandwiched between tank and outter box,the leak happnening in that space.

Attachments

• gasket1.jpg
    gasket1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 47

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pic, it appears that the box is at an angle. Can you measure the top distance of the box to the tank and the bottom distance of the box to the tank?
The photo makes it look like the top is more compressed than the bottom. Not sure if that's true or not. If it is true, then that would contribute to a leak.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pic, it appears that the box is at an angle. Can you measure the top distance of the box to the tank and the bottom distance of the box to the tank?
The photo makes it look like the top is more compressed than the bottom. Not sure if that's true or not. If it is true, then that would contribute to a leak.
at first I said it's not.. but the top is 1/16" awy from the tank more than the bottom, though it's not as uneven as it looks:
the top is wider from font to pack than the bottom , it's slants in other words. There is a foot at the bottom that the outter box rest against the tank, and it is right at the glass. same for upper part there is a small 'foot' there aa well. But those upper feet are both about 1/16" away from the glass. That's with the gasket plastic nts on as hand tight pretty much as I can without help from a rubber grop to tighten more.
Id really like to use this gaskert material if I knew 100% it was safe.
Thx again

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at first I said it's not.. but the top is 1/16" awy from the tank more than the bottom, though it's not as uneven as it looks:
the top is wider from font to pack than the bottom , it's slants in other words. There is a foot at the bottom that the outter box rest against the tank, and it is right at the glass. same for upper part there is a small 'foot' there aa well. But those upper feet are both about 1/16" away from the glass. That's with the gasket plastic nts on as hand tight pretty much as I can without help from a rubber grop to tighten more.
Id really like to use this gaskert material if I knew 100% it was safe.
Thx again
Ok, I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot.
Last question, then I'm out of ideas. Did you install all the gaskets properly? Not sure which model you have, but regardless, each hole should be using two gaskets. Are they installed per this diagram? I know it may seem obvious, but in my 25 years in the hobby, I've seen people do some pretty silly things...myself included!

1680560819681.png

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes instaleld just like that . ONe pair of gaskets on each hole: a gasket of each pair on either side of glass of one hole. other pair between insdie of glass and inner box, and other pair bewtween outisde of glass and outter box.
It could be that small 1/16" inch gap at the top cuasing the leak though as well.
( i apreciate your help, i didnt mean to soudn like I don't. )

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you add a thin layer of aquarium silicone?
I was going to do that. Butif i put that on the gasket to make a better seal from water getting through if/when any stress is put on the gasket it could break thr seal of the silicone , causing crack in it. Making a permanent leak. If it was on a bulkhead that was for a drain box built into the tank and the drain was on the bottom then that would be a better option since theres no possible
Movement of the gasket there

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT leak is solved. I ended up using
The red highlited another issue. The diamater of the orig gasket was too small possibly as well. I realized that when I saw the bright red of the gasket through the dark transparent outter box. So a mix of the better quality? gasket material, it's 2x thicker, and larger diamter solved that leak. I tightened the nut only hand tight, but not max hand tight.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back