Where to hang, mount, or set my RODI

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by WannaBSpaghetti, Jul 9, 2018.

1. WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti Active Member R2R Supporter

HI R2R,

I just purchased my 5 stage RODI unit and have the perfect (only) place for it in my basement next to the sole utility faucet in my home - but there is a snag.
    One thing I forgot to consider is that the walls of my basement are stone. All stone. Nowhere for screws or fasteners to be secured. I could hang from the crossbeams but then all the meters and gauges become worthless.
    Have any of you found yourselves in this pickle and come up with a decent solve?

Thanks,
    Planning on Becoming Spaghetti

Crabs McJones likes this.

2. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Hospitality Award Glitter Fairy Build Thread Contributor

Could you create some kind of mounting board that either stands on the ground or hangs from the cross beams?

3. WannaBSpaghetti

I do have a bunch of unused pallets in the back yard. I'm not too handy but I could probably figure something out of i needed to.

Crabs McJones likes this.
  4. TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger Active Member

What did you come up with? Found your post searching for a solution to the exact same problem.

5. count krunk

count krunk Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

6. TriggerFinger

Yea...I’m not equipped or skilled enough for all that. I’m think I’m going to make a stand and screw it to that. Thanks though!

7. Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc Well-Known Member

Several options I can think of -
    - Mount a board on the wall using construction adhesive like liquid nails, then just screw into the board.
    - check with your local hardware store, Home Depot, neighbor, etc about renting a hammer drill. You can buy Tapcon screws that simply screw into the hole. It’s acutally quite easy and would take less than 20-30 min (this is what I did) if you can make a stand, you can do this.
    - make a stand like you were planning on doing.
    - there’s nothing that says the filters have to hang on a wall. You can simply set them on the floor or on a shelf, too.

8. TriggerFinger

I’m going to drain di water to a brute. Doesn’t the unit need to be higher than the brute so gravity keeps the water flowing?

9. Sleepydoc

No - the RO (& DI) water coming out is pressurized (slightly) from you household water supply. My DI unit is actually slightly below the top of my reservoir. You don't want a ton of back pressure, but a couple of feet won't matter. Just make sure you have it set up so it can't back siphon.

10. Sleepydoc

No - the RO (& DI) water coming out is pressurized (slightly) from you household water supply. My DI unit is actually slightly below the top of my reservoir. You don't want a ton of back pressure, but a couple of feet won't matter. Just make sure you have it set up so it can't back siphon.

11. Sleepydoc

12. WannaBSpaghetti

Sorry for the late reply - I actually did find a solution! My basement has exposed boards in the ceiling. I went out and grabbed used wooden pallet and fastened it to one of the rafters. I installed everything on that pallet which is hanging above my collection cans as well. Its not elegant, but its functional.

Draft saved Draft deleted