Which Anthias?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I really like Anthias. I am currently working on my stocking list and was wondering which type of Anthias you would recommend? I have a 55 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. Current stocking list is:

2 Clownfish (already have)
2 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Royal Gramma
1 Pearlscale Butterflyfish
1 Lubbock's Wrasse
1 Fire Fish
1 Pygmy Angelfish
1 Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse

Which Anthias would work best for me? I don't care if it is reef safe or not.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't add another fish to that 55 gallon much less a small group of anthias. 5 of those 11 fish would really prefer a tank bigger than a 55 gallon. 11 fish most of them being large is a pretty massive bioload in 65 total gallons (minus rock space).

My total water volume is about 190 gallons with a 15% of water volume dedicated refugium, almost 200 pounds of live rock, and an oversized skimmer. Even then I'm tentative with my eventual 16 fish in the tank (and they're on average smaller than the fish you are planning to stock)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't add another fish to that 55 gallon much less a small group of anthias. 5 of those 11 fish would really prefer a tank bigger than a 55 gallon. 11 fish most of them being large is a pretty massive bioload in 65 total gallons (minus rock space).

My total water volume is about 190 gallons with a 15% of water volume dedicated refugium, almost 200 pounds of live rock, and an oversized skimmer. Even then I'm tentative with my eventual 16 fish in the tank (and they're on average smaller than the fish you are planning to stock)
Which 5? I was also just planning to get a single female. How many total fish would you recommend?

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 5? I was also just planning to get a single female. How many total fish would you recommend?
The 2 that ABSOLUTELY should have more room are the yellow tang and pearlscale butterfly. Fairy wrasse and pygmy angels are active swimmers and also would rather a tank bigger than 55, but for the 2 fairy wrasse and the pygmy angel you could PROBABLY get by in a 55 just know you're likely to see more aggression than those fish are generally known for.

It's not necessarily about number of fish as it is the size of those fish. Arguably 1 yellow tang, 1 pearlscale butterfly, and 1 pygmy angel at full size would produce enough waste to consider a tank of that size full.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 that ABSOLUTELY should have more room are the yellow tang and pearlscale butterfly. Fairy wrasse and pygmy angels are active swimmers and also would rather a tank bigger than 55, but for the 2 fairy wrasse and the pygmy angel you could PROBABLY get by in a 55 just know you're likely to see more aggression than those fish are generally known for.

It's not necessarily about number of fish as it is the size of those fish. Arguably 1 yellow tang, 1 pearlscale butterfly, and 1 pygmy angel at full size would produce enough waste to consider a tank of that size full.
Ok, I'll think about it some more. How many inches then? I've heard 5ish gallons for every inch, is this accurate?

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll think about it some more. How many inches then? I've heard 5ish gallons for every inch, is this accurate?
Those rules of thumb aren't as useful in saltwater fish keeping. Different species of saltwater fish have vastly different niches and eating habits and produce wildly variable amounts of waste. What filtration equipment are you planning to run

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I really like Anthias. I am currently working on my stocking list and was wondering which type of Anthias you would recommend? I have a 55 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. Current stocking list is:

2 Clownfish (already have)
2 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Royal Gramma
1 Pearlscale Butterflyfish
1 Lubbock's Wrasse
1 Fire Fish
1 Pygmy Angelfish
1 Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse

Which Anthias would work best for me? I don't care if it is reef safe or not.
Lyretail or queen

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface and a Melanarus Wrasse in a 55 and they are perfectly happy. However I do agree that your tank is full. A 55 offers 4 feet of swimming length, so I think it gets a pass from the tang police, but it’s skinny AF and lacks enough territory to offer an appropriately sized aqua scape for a big group of reef dwelling fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface and a Melanarus Wrasse in a 55 and they are perfectly happy. However I do agree that your tank is full. A 55 offers 4 feet of swimming length, so I think it gets a pass from the tang police, but it’s skinny AF and lacks enough territory to offer an appropriately sized aqua scape for a big group of reef dwelling fish.
Do you think my tank would be overstocked or just full?

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different. Since you already have two fish who will get to at least 6” fully grown, you’re already full in my book and more would be overstocked.

My opinion on the 55 is you can have a larger fish, or you can have a lot of fish, but you can’t have both. It’s too thin.

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different. Since you already have two fish who will get to at least 6” fully grown, you’re already full in my book and more would be overstocked.

My opinion on the 55 is you can have a larger fish, or you can have a lot of fish, but you can’t have both. It’s too thin.
This I can agree with, though I really feel a 55 gallon tank isn't a great home for a fully grown adult zebrasoma tang even if it's the only fish in there

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is very helpfull! How many fish could I get if I went with the 'lot of fish option?

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, will get rid of the Pygmy.

Out of curiosity why get rid of an existing fish only to replace it? Personally speaking I'd let the stocking list run its course since it is already in play. No need to stress the display or hobbyist out trying to catch and re-home one.

Sometimes we the hobbyist have to quell our "but I really like" urges. I have been there done that. But sometimes doing what Frankie says and Relax is the best course of action. Enjoy what you have.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back