Which Anthias?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I really like Anthias. I am currently working on my stocking list and was wondering which type of Anthias you would recommend? I have a 55 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. Current stocking list is:

2 Clownfish (already have)
2 Bangaii Cardnalfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Royal Gramma
1 Pearlscale Butterflyfish
1 Lubbock's Wrasse
1 Fire Fish
1 Pygmy Angelfish
1 Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse

Which Anthias would work best for me? I don't care if it is reef safe or not.

OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity why get rid of an existing fish only to replace it? Personally speaking I'd let the stocking list run its course since it is already in play. No need to stress the display or hobbyist out trying to catch and re-home one.

Sometimes we the hobbyist have to quell our "but I really like" urges. I have been there done that. But sometimes doing what Frankie says and Relax is the best course of action. Enjoy what you have.
Sorry for the confusion, but I just meant get rid of the Pygmy on my stocking list. I don't actually have one in my tank.

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very helpfull! How many fish could I get if I went with the 'lot of fish option?

Take my opinion with a grain of salt because while I do have a background in the life sciences, I am not a marine biologist. I think there are three main things to consider: The bioload your system can handle, the habitat you offer, and fish behavior/aggression.

For example, my tank doesn’t have a lot of rock, which means it has a lot of room to swim, but not a lot of room to hide in. That’s why I feel ok with a Foxface, but the only truly shy fish I have is a Firefish, who lives in the only real cave my aquascape offers. If you have a ton of Marco rock, you could support several smaller, shy fish, but you’d be sacrificing swimming room. So it’s that balance.

Some people have success keeping small schools of Cardinals, Chromis or Anthias, others watch them play Hunger Games until one remains. So that’s another limitation to having “lots of fish.”

This is why it’s hard to throw out a number for XYZ tank size.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take my opinion with a grain of salt because while I do have a background in the life sciences, I am not a marine biologist. I think there are three main things to consider: The bioload your system can handle, the habitat you offer, and fish behavior/aggression.

For example, my tank doesn’t have a lot of rock, which means it has a lot of room to swim, but not a lot of room to hide in. That’s why I feel ok with a Foxface, but the only truly shy fish I have is a Firefish, who lives in the only real cave my aquascape offers. If you have a ton of Marco rock, you could support several smaller, shy fish, but you’d be sacrificing swimming room. So it’s that balance.

Some people have success keeping small schools of Cardinals, Chromis or Anthias, others watch them play Hunger Games until one remains. So that’s another limitation to having “lots of fish.”

This is why it’s hard to throw out a number for XYZ tank size.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 5? I was also just planning to get a single female. How many total fish would you recommend?
Anthias are schooling fish and should be at minimum a pair or trio. Which anthias? Smaller ones like resplendent that would probably be ok in your tank.

Upvote 0
Back