Which ATO should I get.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was discussed in another recent thread, I'm not sure if you were part of it (or the one that mentioned it) but someone was having the same problem and rectified it by finding a way to mount the float without using a magnet.

Come to think of it, it may have been one of my threads. I have a few QTs and was hoping not to drop $200 on 3155's for them but got the half price 3152. I'm convinced the 3155 is the way to go. They're worth the extra $100 (each).
The only thing I'm a bit weary about is the noise of the pump. For my DT, the resiviour and pump are in my basement. I can hear it from the first floor of my house, but it's just a high pitched whine that runs for a few seconds once or twice an hour, not a big deal. Not wanting to put a bunch of holes in the floor of my spare bedroom, I don't know if I want to listen to it.
That seems to leave me with two options. Put the pump in the bedroom and listen to it. Put it in the basement, run the lines up 10ish feet through the existing hole where the cable comes up from the basement, run the tube all the way around the room to the QT and swap the pump out for a stronger one that can push the water that far. I think I'll probably just keep refilling them by hand. They're small tanks and one has a glass top so it's not a huge deal.

Thanks, no I wasn’t aware removing the magnet was a fix for this issue, but did suspect it probably was...I’ll look in to a way to do this as I really don’t fancy forking out another load of cash, the pump is annoying but it doesn’t go off that much so guess I can live with the noise.
Thanks again.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, no I wasn’t aware removing the magnet was a fix for this issue, but did suspect it probably was...I’ll look in to a way to do this as I really don’t fancy forking out another load of cash, the pump is annoying but it doesn’t go off that much so guess I can live with the noise.
Thanks again.
I think there's a recent thread called "Tunze Quality" where someone mentioned it when I asked if it was worth getting the 3152 for my coral QT to save the hundred dollars. I really like my 3155, but see nothing but complaints about the 3152.

Edit: Here's the thread. If you go down to Post 11, someone mentioned it working fine without a magnet.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was discussed in another recent thread, I'm not sure if you were part of it (or the one that mentioned it) but someone was having the same problem and rectified it by finding a way to mount the float without using a magnet.

Come to think of it, it may have been one of my threads. I have a few QTs and was hoping not to drop $200 on 3155's for them but got the half price 3152. I'm convinced the 3155 is the way to go. They're worth the extra $100 (each).
The only thing I'm a bit weary about is the noise of the pump. For my DT, the resiviour and pump are in my basement. I can hear it from the first floor of my house, but it's just a high pitched whine that runs for a few seconds once or twice an hour, not a big deal. Not wanting to put a bunch of holes in the floor of my spare bedroom, I don't know if I want to listen to it.
That seems to leave me with two options. Put the pump in the bedroom and listen to it. Put it in the basement, run the lines up 10ish feet through the existing hole where the cable comes up from the basement, run the tube all the way around the room to the QT and swap the pump out for a stronger one that can push the water that far. I think I'll probably just keep refilling them by hand. They're small tanks and one has a glass top so it's not a huge deal.
Ok yeah this is going to be in my room so I have to see if it’s noisy or not which it sounds like it is from what I’ve been reading. Thanks.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yeah this is going to be in my room so I have to see if it’s noisy or not which it sounds like it is from what I’ve been reading. Thanks.
Yeah, the pump included with the 3155 has a distinctive whine to it. I will say that it doesn't sound quite is awful when I'm standing next to it as it does when it echos up my basement stairs and it's not even that it's loud, it's just that it's high pitched.
I'm going to pick up another one, hopefully today, for my reef QT. We'll see how it sounds when it's on the same floor as I am.
If it is annoying enough, you could put it on a timer so that it doesn't run during the hours I'm trying to sleep. Or, at the very least, during the few hours when I'm likely to go to bed on the assumption that it won't wake me up during the night. I doubt leaving it off for a few hours will be even close to long enough to cause it to timeout trying to refill in the morning.
Come to think of it, I might end up doing that with mine. Have it just run while I'm at work. I'm only topping off a few cups a day on this tank so if it maintains it while I'm at work, that would likely be just fine. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the LFS that I called still has it in stock when I get there.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pump included with the 3155 has a distinctive whine to it. I will say that it doesn't sound quite is awful when I'm standing next to it as it does when it echos up my basement stairs and it's not even that it's loud, it's just that it's high pitched.
I'm going to pick up another one, hopefully today, for my reef QT. We'll see how it sounds when it's on the same floor as I am.
If it is annoying enough, you could put it on a timer so that it doesn't run during the hours I'm trying to sleep. Or, at the very least, during the few hours when I'm likely to go to bed on the assumption that it won't wake me up during the night. I doubt leaving it off for a few hours will be even close to long enough to cause it to timeout trying to refill in the morning.
Come to think of it, I might end up doing that with mine. Have it just run while I'm at work. I'm only topping off a few cups a day on this tank so if it maintains it while I'm at work, that would likely be just fine. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the LFS that I called still has it in stock when I get there.
Ok thanks a lot for the info I think I’m going with the 3155.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks a lot for the info I think I’m going with the 3155.
Quick tip. I put an airline check valve on the end of the tube so it doesn't lose it's prime. Mine is running all the way up from the basement, but even just from the floor to the DT, it's that much less time the motor spends running.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha so if I always have water in the container I should be good?
Should be. But it's easy to top the pump upside-down and shake the bubbles out after you fill the reservoir

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ice Cap
Auto aqua

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it pump water when you test the high water alarm manually for anyone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back