Peppermint or skunk

• Total voters

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 17gallon aquarium and yesterday I went out and bought a coral banded shrimp not realizing how agressive they are and that it would eat my sexy shrimp, my question is which other cleaner shrimp should I buy? A pacific (skunk) cleaner shrimp or a peppermint shrimp?

Fish plans:
2x Baby ocellarus clownfish (already purchased >1.5 inches)
Yasha hase goby
Yellow clown goby

Invertebrate plans:
1x Blue leg hermit crab (already purchased)
1x Tiger pistol shrimp
1x PEPPERMINT OR PACIFIC (skunk) CLEANER SHRIMP
5x Sexy shrimp
5x Nassarius snail (already purchased)
2x Cheeky hitchhiker porcelain crabs

Bubble tip anemone (already purchased)

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 17gallon aquarium and yesterday I went out and bought a coral banded shrimp not realizing how agressive they are and that it would eat my sexy shrimp, my question is which other cleaner shrimp should I buy? A pacific (skunk) cleaner shrimp or a peppermint shrimp?

Fish plans:
Yasha hase goby
Yellow clown goby

Invertebrate plans:
1x Tiger pistol shrimp
5x Sexy shrimp

Skunk shrimp are great and are very active

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish plans:
Yasha hase goby
Yellow clown goby

Invertebrate plans:
1x Tiger pistol shrimp
5x Sexy shrimp

The baby clowns are <1.5 inches sorry

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends really, peppermint are utilitarian as they can eat aiptasia but hide a lot and are nocturnal. Skunk cleaners on the other hand are mainly for looking at and will steal food from your corals if you try to spot feed them. I pulled the 3 I had in my 120 gallon specifically because of this!

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skunk cleaners all the way. I love mine they are awesome, very active and very fun to watch

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends really, peppermint are utilitarian as they can eat aiptasia but hide a lot and are nocturnal. Skunk cleaners on the other hand are mainly for looking at and will steal food from your corals if you try to spot feed them. I pulled the 3 I had in my 120 gallon specifically because of this!
Will they steal from a BTA?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am SO ANGRY I came home today and I was so happy that one of my baby clownfish had hosted my BTA but couldn’t find the other, i then looked around to see if it had jumped but it hadn’t then I went searching inside the tank and lifted up the rock and found it’s dead body, it had been absolutely mauled tail eaten, eyes eaten and even a big chunk out of its side I am 99% certain this was the pest of a coral banded shrimp. I am on the way to return it right now (which I was going to do anyways) and away it for a skunk cleaner as that seems to be the best from what you guys have said

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp can be menaces, but you also had a gorilla crab right? That'd be my first guess
Got rid of both of them and flushed all the live rock also found two filter feeders and put them back in so I am almost certain it was that little pest, anyways I am back home with a friendly cute skunk cleaner shrimp I also replaced the deceased baby clown and got a turbo snail

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am SO ANGRY I came home today and I was so happy that one of my baby clownfish had hosted my BTA but couldn’t find the other, i then looked around to see if it had jumped but it hadn’t then I went searching inside the tank and lifted up the rock and found it’s dead body, it had been absolutely mauled tail eaten, eyes eaten and even a big chunk out of its side I am 99% certain this was the pest of a coral banded shrimp. I am on the way to return it right now (which I was going to do anyways) and away it for a skunk cleaner as that seems to be the best from what you guys have said
If a fish died in your tank any scavenger, (shrimp, etc) will start to do their job. I can’t see how the coral banded can catch one of your clowns. I have had a coral banded for a long time and never had an issue with them. The clown was probably sick and weak to begin with. Anyway, the cleaner shrimps are awesome you will definitely enjoy

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a fish died in your tank any scavenger, (shrimp, etc) will start to do their job. I can’t see how the coral banded can catch one of your clowns. I have had a coral banded for a long time and never had an issue with them. The clown was probably sick and weak to begin with. Anyway, the cleaner shrimps are awesome you will definitely enjoy
Yeah I am starting to realize it probably wasn't his fault however I had to get rid of him anyways because either way he would eat my sexy shrimp i wanted to add and i also saw him trying to steal food from my anemone

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The votes could not be clearer and more biased! SKUNK CLEANER ALL THE WAY! They have great personalities and are fun to watch.
6F10B393-2DCD-4653-A354-554F0C7407C3.gif

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: He is super cool nice to watch and does a good job of cleaning
You bought him already? That’s great!:) I love them! Although I have yet to see mine clean any of my fish so he really has no practical use…but he is entertaining to watch!

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought him already? That’s great!:) I love them! Although I have yet to see mine clean any of my fish so he really has no practical use…but he is entertaining to watch!
I just love how they look, much prettier that any other cleaner shrimps I have seen

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back