Peppermint or skunk

• Total voters

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a great Cleaner Shrimp for a while, until 1 evening of missed feeding, my Hawk Fish had a $40 dinner. Removed Hawk Fish, waited for a bit got a (bonded pair) according to LFS of Coral Banded, well, that lasted 2 days as apparently they hated each other.

Was Left with 1 CB Shrimp, apparently a few days ago he lost both his big boxer pinchers, started flowing around the tank and made his way into the power heads!

So I too am looking for a Cleaner or Skunk to add now!

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a great Cleaner Shrimp for a while, until 1 evening of missed feeding, my Hawk Fish had a $40 dinner. Removed Hawk Fish, waited for a bit got a (bonded pair) according to LFS of Coral Banded, well, that lasted 2 days as apparently they hated each other.
Was Left with 1 CB Shrimp, apparently a few days ago he lost both his big boxer pinchers, started flowing around the tank and made his way into the power heads!

So I too am looking for a Cleaner or Skunk to add now!
Yikes!! Here in Jakarta a coral banded shrimp is $2 and a skunk $5 (AUD) I am scared of what the prices will be once I go back to Australia

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What. I just looked up the price of a yellow banded possum wrasse and they are around $120 here they are <$15 (US)
My LFS has one for $75.00 it's about 2.5 inches.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My official apology: I hereby apologise to mister coral banded shrimp

You were right... THERE WAS ANOTHER WAY BIGGER GORILLA CRAB UNDER THE ROCK I FOUND THE DEAD BABY CLOWN UNDER https://youtube.com/shorts/VRbDg7aTcPY?feature=share
I have a coral banded shrimp in my tank with baby clowns, peppermint, blood red, scarlet stunk and pistol shrimps and it’s never attacked anything. I also have pom-pom crabs, snails and other small fish - the coral banded shrimp will eat things that have died, but it’s too slow moving to catch anything that’s alive and doesn’t seem particularly aggressive except when anything encroaches on it’s personal space, in which case it just waves it’s arms hilariously to shoo the intruder away.

Others may have had a different experience with them but my coral banded shrimp has been a model citizen and is my favourite invert in the tank.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I FINALLY think I have them all as they are too small to multiply so far
That is the thing all gorilla crabs r small. U can only tell their age by seeing how dark it is. The crab might not be the one to kill your fish – but if you find that a fish has entirely vanished or has signs of being munched on, it’s possible a crab was responsible.
These crab relies on its camouflage and ability to hide in small crevices to escape predators like you. The best way to tell is to examine your tank after dark or right as the aquarium lights come on. You may spot one or several scuttling away to their hiding places. A well established, fully grown Gorilla Crab may spend more time out in the open, hunting for morsels. But at night you can search using a red flashlight, which is invisible to many marine animals. Red light is absorbed by the first few feet of seawater, so few animals have the ability to see light in this wavelength.
Gorilla Crabs are usually quite small but they can overpower just about anything else in their size range or even a little larger.

---King kong

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back