Which controller?

Reefer4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning All,

I have a couple of questions concerning controllers. I have a mixed 155 gallon bow front tank, with numerous equipment pieces that I need to control. To be exact I need at least 14 outlets for Lights, heaters, and fans. I do have an old RK2 & an AquaController Jr., both seem to have gone on a fritz. Four of the outlets on the RK2 do not power down intermittently so I have to manually turn the lights of at their switch. The Aquacontroller Jr. no matter what button I press I cannot get the main menu to come up. On the AC Jr when I press the select button all that happens is that the seconds on the clock change, press the up button, and the screen goes black, press the down button, and the Feed Mode screen comes up.
I sent Neptune an email about 3 days ago, and have not gotten a response.:(

Of course the best would be to get the 2 controllers I currently have working as I am no longer working, and have to totally depend on my spouse retirement income.:( In the event that they cannot be fixed then I am thinking I need to purchase a new controller or 2. In this case what would you recommend?

I am not at the moment interested in connecting it to the net. All I need is to controller the lights, heaters, and fans. My lights are 4 units of Wingo's Cree Brick LEDs with two cords each for a total of 8 plugs, I just need the controller to turn them on/off. I would also like the controller to monitor my PH as well as Temp.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a reef angle there cheapest and include. A lot of futures. But research them and see if you like them. V

Sent from my tank using tapatalk

Fatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a single Reef Angel + (more memory than a standard). It's been great. You do need some patience in setting it up as there is a plethera of information out there and some is conflicting as the unit evolves. At this point if you get one and use the included Wizard you should be able to get it running on the first try. The Value/Cost ratio is outstanding. It comes with a pH probe, temp probe and 8 outlets. You would need to get a second outlet expansion to have 14 outlets, but that's not too expensive. I got the WiFi attachment and can monitor and control the unit from anywhere via the web or my iPhone app.

OP
OP
Reefer4Life

Reefer4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a reef angle there cheapest and include. A lot of futures. But research them and see if you like them. V

Sent from my tank using tapatalk
Thank you, research is what I am currently doing.;)

I just got a single Reef Angel + (more memory than a standard). It's been great. You do need some patience in setting it up as there is a plethera of information out there and some is conflicting as the unit evolves. At this point if you get one and use the included Wizard you should be able to get it running on the first try. The Value/Cost ratio is outstanding. It comes with a pH probe, temp probe and 8 outlets. You would need to get a second outlet expansion to have 14 outlets, but that's not too expensive. I got the WiFi attachment and can monitor and control the unit from anywhere via the web or my iPhone app.
Thank you Fatman! You answered my question perfectly.;) Can I ask you another question please? The wifi, how does that work with the RA? Is it like other controllers, for instance does it need a usb cord connected to the router? Or does it work like my laptop where it does not need a usb connected to the router? Forgive me if I come across stupidly, but I just do not understand a WIFI needing to connect with a wire.:(

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a reef angel and I have been very happy with it. The wifi is connected directly to the RA head unit via a proprietary cable. You only need to connect it you laptop during setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rkl with 2 pc4 you can always add power strips so you can add all your blues to one outlet and white to another. I also have the sl1 with a ph probe and float switch for ATO. Works great would not go to any other controller.

OP
OP
Reefer4Life

Reefer4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a reef angel and I have been very happy with it. The wifi is connected directly to the RA head unit via a proprietary cable. You only need to connect it you laptop during setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! Sounds good.;)

I have a rkl with 2 pc4 you can always add power strips so you can add all your blues to one outlet and white to another. I also have the sl1 with a ph probe and float switch for ATO. Works great would not go to any other controller.

Thanks for the response, problem with the RKL is that I would need 4 pc4 (or is that DC4?). Not sure that it can be expanded to that many, plus from what I have been reading the Reef Angel is way more expandable then any other controller.;) Don't know that I would ever need to, but who knows what the future will bring.

Anyone needed to get their RA serviced, and how did that go? I know DA is great with their customer service, how about the RA's people?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back