Which fish to add next?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in my tank I have 2 clowns and a one spot foxface. Tank is 100 gallons and I want to add 4 wrasses, I have a few in mind and need to post another thread to get compatibility help but they are of the halichoeres, cirrhilabrus, paracheilinus family. I also want possibly add a flame hawk (need help on if I should or not) and finally a white tail bristletooth tang. Also any other active peaceful fish recommendation are appreciated! I’m wondering what fish I should add next, the wrasse’s, tang, hawk fish, or something else? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you like some cool inverts the hawkfish may be a predator. I have 5 wrasses in my tank.
I don’t care too much for inverts, I don’t plant on getting any shrimp or crabs just snails which I’m ok taking a gamble with. Which wrasses do you have? I’m stuck on which ones will be comparable with each other.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t care too much for inverts, I don’t plant on getting any shrimp or crabs just snails which I’m ok taking a gamble with. Which wrasses do you have? I’m stuck on which ones will be comparable with each other.
I have a rohmboid wrasse, 6 line, pintail fairy, yellow coris and blue streak cleaner. The 6 line and coris are good for pest control.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in my tank I have 2 clowns and a one spot foxface. Tank is 100 gallons and I want to add 4 wrasses, I have a few in mind and need to post another thread to get compatibility help but they are of the halichoeres, cirrhilabrus, paracheilinus family. I also want possibly add a flame hawk (need help on if I should or not) and finally a white tail bristletooth tang. Also any other active peaceful fish recommendation are appreciated! I’m wondering what fish I should add next, the wrasse’s, tang, hawk fish, or something else? Thanks in advance!
Got any ideas of the 4 wrasses?

I would avoid the Sixline, this is due to them potentially becoming murderous (Much likely to occur with these guys than it is to occur with something like a Hawaiian Fourline or Mystery). Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharyngodon, Xenojulis, Pseudojuloides and Anampses are all generally good when it comes to compatibility.
The True Cleaner Wrasses (Labroides species) are also good when it comes to compatibility however they are bad with their care. I would say avoid these as well, if it’s your first time with wrasses then I would definitely avoid them. These guys just don’t fare well in captivity and many will wither away after a couple of months (if not weeks).

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would avoid the Sixline, this is due to them potentially becoming murderous (Much likely to occur with these guys than it is to occur with something like a Hawaiian Fourline or Mystery). Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharyngodon, Xenojulis, Pseudojuloides and Anampses are all generally good when it comes to compatibility.
The True Cleaner Wrasses (Labroides species) are also good when it comes to compatibility however they are bad with their care. I would say avoid these as well, if it’s your first time with wrasses then I would definitely avoid them. These guys just don’t fare well in captivity and many will wither away after a couple of months (if not weeks).
This is my first time having any wrasse so sticking to the easiest ones is my plan. Currently my list is
Melanurus wrasse (halichoeres melanurus)
Red lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)
Scott’s fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus scottorum)
Mccoskers flasher wrasse (paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Royal flasher wrasse (paracheilinus angulatus)
Red head solerensis wrasse (cirrhilabrus solorensis)
Not sure which 4 of the 6 I want but the only one I want for sure is the melanurus. I’ve read the Scott’s fairy can be pretty aggressive if it wants to be. I just want them to be peaceful towards each other as well as other tank mates. And easy to care for since it will be my first time

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time having any wrasse so sticking to the easiest ones is my plan. Currently my list is
Melanurus wrasse (halichoeres melanurus)
Red lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)
Scott’s fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus scottorum)
Mccoskers flasher wrasse (paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Royal flasher wrasse (paracheilinus angulatus)
Red head solerensis wrasse (cirrhilabrus solorensis)
Not sure which 4 of the 6 I want but the only one I want for sure is the melanurus. I’ve read the Scott’s fairy can be pretty aggressive if it wants to be. I just want them to be peaceful towards each other as well as other tank mates. And easy to care for since it will be my first time
I would go for;
- Halichoeres biocellatus
- Halichoeres iridis or leucoxanthus
- Paracheilinus angulatus
- Paracheilinus mccoskeri

The two Cirrhilabrus you mentioned can both be rather nasty with other wrasses so I recommend avoiding them as part of the first load of wrasses you attempt.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for;
- Halichoeres biocellatus
- Halichoeres iridis or leucoxanthus
- Paracheilinus angulatus
- Paracheilinus mccoskeri

The two Cirrhilabrus you mentioned can both be rather nasty with other wrasses so I recommend avoiding them as part of the first load of wrasses you attempt.
If I changed the halichoeres iridis or leucoxanthus with the halichoeres melanurus would that still work with the other three?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this is your area of expertise but labeling 6 lines murderers is harsh. Mine is the nicest fish in the tank and blue cleaner wrasses are not difficult. Mine is at least 8 months in the tank now. Eats everything and cleans all his fellow fish mates.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is your area of expertise but labeling 6 lines murderers is harsh. Mine is the nicest fish in the tank and blue cleaner wrasses are not difficult. Mine is at least 8 months in the tank now. Eats everything and cleans all his fellow fish mates.
I’ve cared for several sixlines and the odds of them being peaceful is much lower than the odds of them being aggressive.

As for the blue streaks, again it’s luck. These are notoriously difficult and getting them past 6 months in captivity is a nightmare. If you get them feeding then it’s already going well, but most will not feed and starve.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bag the flame hawk. They can be bullies. If you like that color get a magma wrasse.
+1 to this, if you don’t like the magmas (Cirrhilabrus shutmani) then you’ll most likely find another red fairy wrasse with the same colour and just as stunning.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bag the flame hawk. They can be bullies. If you like that color get a magma wrasse.
That’s what I’m worried about, whenever I see them at a store I can’t stop watching them. The fact that they have no swim bladder and their personality is apperently really cool to watch. But I’m worried of it attacking other fish in the tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back