Which Hanna Checkers do I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at finding a way to test my water parameters without alot of hassle which has led me to Hanna Checkers. The BIG question is which ones are needed for my reef tank?

I assume:

ALK - DKH
Calcium
pH
Salinity (where can you purchase? BRS doesn't sell them)
Phosphate low range? (What's the difference between phosphorous?)
Nitrite

I don't see anything for Nitrates and Ammonia at least not for marine applications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and Ultra low Phosphorus are the ones that help the most.
(Ultra low Phosphorus measures in part per billion, phosphate meter was in parts per million, so ULR was more accurate. )
Don't by a Nitrite, you don't need it. and I heard calcium is kind of a pain to use, but accurate. Others will chime in, I think they have an upgraded ULR meter, but I'm too lazy to look now.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like mentioned above ALK and ULR PHOS rest are junk or dont need,

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at finding a way to test my water parameters without alot of hassle which has led me to Hanna Checkers. The BIG question is which ones are needed for my reef tank?

I assume:

ALK - DKH
Calcium
pH
Nitrite

I don't see anything for Nitrates and Ammonia at least not for marine applications.

I highly recommend you also get high range copper for fish quarantine and disease treatment.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the calcium and Alk, and I have had the calcium for a year now, but let me tell you, Alk is soooooo much easier!

AndrewB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have ALK. I test alk most often because it's the one I struggle to keep stable. I would definitely recommend getting at least that one. Phosphorus is next on my list and that'll probably be it.

psl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone else. I presently have and use the ALK very often. I have the phosphate but the ULR PHOS would be a much better choice.
I had the CALCIUM but it was too sensitive for me to get an accurate measurement.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use:

Calcium Checker
Alkalinity (dKH) Checker
ULR Phosphorus Checker
HR Copper Checker
ULR Nitrite Checker (not for determining nitrite, but to get a photometric nitrate measurement when used together with the Red Sea Nitrate Pro reagents per @Rick Mathew 's method. )

I really should do a video on how to use the Hanna calcium checker quickly and accurately. I love it. No tedious titration or visual color matching.
It takes very little time ime and is far faster than, for example, the phosphorus checker or many colorimetric test kits because there is no waiting period at all.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use:

Calcium Checker
Alkalinity (dKH) Checker
ULR Phosphorus Checker
HR Copper Checker
ULR Nitrite Checker (not for determining nitrite, but to get a photometric nitrate measurement when used together with the Red Sea Nitrate Pro reagents per @Rick Mathew 's method. )

I really should do a video on how to use the Hanna calcium checker quickly and accurately. I love it. No tedious titration or visual color matching.
It takes very little time ime and is far faster than, for example, the phosphorus checker or many colorimetric test kits because there is no waiting period at all.
Is calcium really that hard? I use it every few days, add reagent A, add RODI water, shake, add powder, add test sample, shake, test, record results!

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I assume:

ALK - DKH
Calcium
pH
Nitrite

I use several of the Hanna Checkers and have found them to work very well...Alk, PO4 Calcium, Total Chlorine for RODI Testing, Silica For RODI Testing...I bench mark them with ICP test results and find them to be very satisfactory...The key to there use is good consistent laboratory procedures....clean vials, accurate reagent and water measurements etc. ....The Sample water measurement for the calcium test is especially important...I purchased the Hanna Pipette and it works well and gives good repeatability in the measurement...

As for the nitrate testing via meter...here is a link on some work I have been doing with regards to that..... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/test-meter-for-testing-nitrates.530004/#post-5502120

hope this helps

rick

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it’s a fact.
Thank you @DrewBrees713

ALK - DKH
Calcium
pH
Salinity
Phosphate low range
Nitrite

OP asked for opinion on 6 items.

Alk is good

Cal is very flakey. I'll give mine away for free if OP wants it.

pH probe is a waste of money and time as most all of them drift after 1-3 months of use in a normal tank conditions. Secondly there is no reason to chase pH as long as its within 7.8 to 8.4 range.
ALL pH adjustment chemicals on the market are Alk additives with temporary effect on pH.

Salinity. A simple refractometer is more effective than digital Milwaukee or hanna photo meters and salinity or conductivity probes are most all drifters with tons of problems.

Phos ULR is good

Nitrites are not deadly in saltwater unless in hundreds which I have never seen even in a cycling tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back