Which light for 29 gallon standard

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am gonna be upgrading my lights soon. I am currently looking at the SB reef lights. My problem is the 16 I think would leave the sides shaded. My tank is a standard 29 gallon 30l x 18h x 12d. I would be using the tank mount as hanging isn't really an option at the moment, so would put it only 9 inches or so above the tank. And the 30 seems like it would be overkill for my tank. I really like these lights but I don't know if they can work to light the whole tank without hanging or getting way more light than I need. The other option I am looking at is the photon v2 24", but I like the SB reef lights better. Any thoughts?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the SB's, can't say enough. Youll be happier with a light that covers the length of the tank IMO. The lights do come with a dimmer. so its not really over kill IMO.
Hard Part is, The Photon is also a really good light..

OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the SB's, can't say enough. Youll be happier with a light that covers the length of the tank IMO. The lights do come with a dimmer. so its not really over kill IMO.
Hard Part is, The Photon is also a really good light..
Yeah I am aware of the dimmer, I just mean overkill as in having WAY more light than I will ever need for this tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am aware of the dimmer, I just mean overkill as in having WAY more light than I will ever need for this tank.
Price wise its kinda a moot point IMO. For the same price you could get something that wont light your tank as well.
ANd the dimmer on lights in Aquaria is quite honestly groundbreaking. It also gives you some flexability. Like taking the lenses out to get even better spread and coverage.
My take is this, coverage is better than anything else. Were I to choose a single radion or kessil or a 3o in fixture Id go with the 30 for coverage.
A T247 led, A Photon a, 16in mars/SB a Kessil 360 an AP 700 would also be overkill.

So at the price point I wouldn't know what to recommend besides looking at used fixtures..

OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know I am getting one of the two. It sounds like to go with the 30 if I want the sb reef light. Now the only draw back is they only make the 30 in a basic or ramping. Where with the photon I can adjust individual channels set points. I know they are both supposed to be good loghts, just wish I have gotten to see them in person to help make the decision. Seems like the photon has more adjustability.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know I am getting one of the two. It sounds like to go with the 30 if I want the sb reef light. Now the only draw back is they only make the 30 in a basic or ramping. Where with the photon I can adjust individual channels set points. I know they are both supposed to be good loghts, just wish I have gotten to see them in person to help make the decision. Seems like the photon has more adjustability.
Yea the bells and whistles always cost more. And Your 100% on seeing them in person. I believe the Photon leans more towards blue aqua a, the SB leans more towards the Royal blue. And Oh yea I was looking at both of these. I have the ramping, and its pretty cool. I also don't really but into the full adjustability of fixtures as that would assume were all marine biologists or its just there so we can make the tank look good. And that's OK too.

As a rebel I do also Highly recommend choosing a light that looks good ON the tank. Me personally, I don't need it to actually look like a science experiment.

OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really care so much about what the fixture itself looks like ( but the photon wins here)...just that the tank looks good with the lights and the corals are happy. But more led tightly packed in the sb reef light would also make me think better coverage and less chance of a disco ball effect.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really care so much about what the fixture itself looks like ( but the photon wins here)...just that the tank looks good with the lights and the corals are happy. But more led tightly packed in the sb reef light would also make me think better coverage and less chance of a disco ball effect.
yup. I pulled half the lenses on mine to reduce the disco.

Tough choice right? In the end they both grow coral.

OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sbox 30 is gonna be the winner. The more leds and ability to possibly upgrade to a bigger tank without having to get a new light i think is gonna do it for me. I'd rather not spend over $300 on a new light to immediately having to start popping optics off. I can live without adjusting individual channels, probably a good thing, I would spend way too much time playing with the different channels.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figure I will be starting off with pretty much minimum settings with this light and work up from there. Just replacing a dual t5ho 62w fixture. Thanks for the tip with the lux meter.

OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the new tank going to be?
;)
Lol for how much I just spent I might of just gone that route, but no new tank yet. Just replacing cheap stuff I started out with. Replacing my sun sun power heads and going from an ns80 skimmer to a bh 1000.

OP
OP
wherenext

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol actually am thinking of upgrading tank now. Looking at the 50 tall (demensions of a 40 breeder though) reef ready from glasscages.com. I have a 20 long or the current 29 gallon I could use for a sump. Haven't done a sump yet so that would be new for me.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol actually am thinking of upgrading tank now. Looking at the 50 tall (demensions of a 40 breeder though) reef ready from glasscages.com. I have a 20 long or the current 29 gallon I could use for a sump. Haven't done a sump yet so that would be new for me.
Hahahaha.
Bunch of addicts and enablers round here.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back