Which method do you use for your SPS tanks

julioperez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of "The Zeovit Method" now there is the "Triton Method", the "RedSea Foundation" method, the Fauna Marine "Ultra Balling" method, and I am sure there are others.
My question is do any of you use these methods? Which? And why?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you didn't mention the KISS method. I use this one because I am not smart enough to use the others :)

I'm going back to that method on the new build.
I was using the zeo method for a couple years but ended up crashing my system due to an oversight on my end.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going back to that method on the new build.
I was using the zeo method for a couple years but ended up crashing my system due to an oversight on my end.
Ouch. I may dabble in the more intensive methods after I retire and can spend all day/every day on my tank. But I just know if I were to try anything that required continuous upkeep right now it would fail.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. I may dabble in the more intensive methods after I retire and can spend all day/every day on my tank. But I just know if I were to try anything that required continuous upkeep right now it would fail.
The zeovit method was actually quite easy. My crash was caused by removing all fish to treat for disease and forgot to adjust dosing. Basically starved all my sps.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zeovit method was actually quite easy. My crash was caused by removing all fish to treat for disease and forgot to adjust dosing. Basically starved all my sps.
Oh wow... with zeovit are you required to supplement every day?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow... with zeovit are you required to supplement every day?

I did not reduce dosing of carbon source and bacteria. By the time I realized what happened it was too late for most of my sps. LPS was not affected. I was still spot feeding them. What ever method you go with make sure to pay attention to what the corals are telling you.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but I find by often reading about all "newer" methods that many reefers spend lots of time scratch their heads trying to figure why things arent working as expected.
Most of the methods supposedly work in theory, but in practice we see regular results.

The best tanks Ive seen do a traditional route, quality salt for water changes, alk ca and mg dosing, stability.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to sps but what happened to good old 2 part dosing? Are any of those methods better than the other? do they prevent less sps loss? or are they just all fluff in order to get us to spend more $$$ I have seen guys just do basic stuff like water change, 2 part dosing, mag and feed corals and they have amazing sps tanks.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to sps but what happened to good old 2 part dosing? Are any of those methods better than the other? do they prevent less sps loss? or are they just all fluff in order to get us to spend more $$$ I have seen guys just do basic stuff like water change, 2 part dosing, mag and feed corals and they have amazing sps tanks.
Two part is what most of us do, actually three part with Magnesium.
Balling is sort of like the same, but the third part is a sodium free trace solution, so you could dose and replenish all needed elements without doing water changes. The idea of Triton and Balling is a more stable system without water changes. Doing water changes could become an issue since batches of salt can vary fluctuating parameters, but in practice IMO its been working for so long with so many successful tanks.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of "The Zeovit Method" now there is the "Triton Method", the "RedSea Foundation" method, the Fauna Marine "Ultra Balling" method, and I am sure there are others.
My question is do any of you use these methods? Which? And why?

I run ZeoVit in my current tank. I have run Triton and Balling methods in previous tanks. I think what is missing in your comparison is splitting out these methods - they aren't apples to apples. Some are dosing method in which they supply calcium and alkalinity. Some other methods listed are nutrient management systems (nitrate/phosphate). I use ZeoVit to manage my nutrients and dose ESV two part for calcium and alkalinity.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Esv 2 part is sorta like a balling method, their calcium portion has a couple goodies inside =)
Even any balling method is a great route to go.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using traditional method in reef keeping . regular water changes, dosing alk ,cal, mg. so far have a good success to keep corals happy

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I here this all the time, say it to myself all the time, and I still forget to do it regularly all the time, even when all the pros swear by it all the time. It's very simple, and I hear it all the time over and over, and still I get away from it all the time. Wow, I'm stupid! I keep second guessing, trying different stuff. The basic Water Change, with basic salt, Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals. Keeping it still stupid!!!! Keeping it simple!!! I really need to stop reading, listening, guessing, and wondering!!!

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run ZeoVit in my current tank. I have run Triton and Balling methods in previous tanks. I think what is missing in your comparison is splitting out these methods - they aren't apples to apples. Some are dosing method in which they supply calcium and alkalinity. Some other methods listed are nutrient management systems (nitrate/phosphate). I use ZeoVit to manage my nutrients and dose ESV two part for calcium and alkalinity.
Won't it be cheaper to make your own 2 part for alk and cal? What zeovit products are you using? I see a ton of stuff on bulk reef ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issues with Zeovit and Triton are only that we keep adding products without knowing what they are. Obviously these companies wont quite give us all their secrets, but I wonder if all dosed is indeed really needed.

I see beautiful Zeovit coloration tanks online, but see more common results from users at forums. Im far saying they dont work, but just think one can get the same results doing basic water changes.

I also see users claiming they know exactly why their tanks crashed while using these systems, I tend to think dosing trace elements never really end well. Soon or later algae blooms, refugiums "crash" and other unsuspected issues come up.

A friend of mine has a 500 gal loaded with sps growing out of the water and colored like ive never seen any tank. He hasnt changed the water for 3-4 months now. He hasnt "had time" but will do sometime soon lol. He has a calcium reactor and runs GFO, period. That is a statement to me

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Rhythm Method for several years and have 4 beautiful healthy colonies and 1 just produced a baby ;Dummy;Happy

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't it be cheaper to make your own 2 part for alk and cal? What zeovit products are you using? I see a ton of stuff on bulk reef ?

Maybe? Ive used ESV B-Ionic for dosing before, and its a nice consistent product. I have BRS two part products sitting on my shelves, and I have used those when I need to make adjustments to water chemistry.

I use only a few of the zeovit products - ZeoBak (the bacteria that drive the system), Spongepower (an additive that provides food for filter feeders like clams and sponges), and ZeoStart (which is a carbon source for bacteria to feed on - likely some kind of vinegar and sugar combination). I occasionally (once every other week or so) use ZeoFood, since it came with the starter pack, but its not necessary to use anymore and has been replaced with SpongePower in the startup guides. I also use the ZeoVit stones, as thats the primary thing for the system. I wouldnt use any other additive unless you need to and or could test for it. I know that Zeo tanks often have low potassium, and I thought perhaps mine was as well, but a potassium testing kit and a Triton test showed that I didnt need it, and I dont dose them at all. :D

Stolireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a long time practitioner of the KISS method, I suspect that the real magic behind things like Zeovit are that successful users pay extremely close attention to their tanks since they are so invested in the 'method'. As a result, they spot issues early and are able to address them. Same thing with the KISS method. Users that really pay attention to their tanks are successful. Oh, and when I say 'pay attention' I don't mean making constant adjustments or fiddling but rather, knowing what to look for with regard to issues such as burnt tips (kH maybe too high), poor coloration (maybe too low nutrients, too high phosphates, etc.), nuisance algae (nutrient imbalance) etc. Whichever method you are using, your best tools in this hobby are your eyes and your knowledge.

Back