Which method do you use for your SPS tanks

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balling method from Fauna Marin works well, it's basically just 2 part with magnesium, trace elements added to the 2 part solutions. I'm really pretty convinced that trace elements are not needed. I run it on a GHL doser. Works super well for me haven't changed water in 6 months

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thru the many years I have used every method of keeping corals. All have their good and bad points. I never thought of the Balling method of keeping your calcium and alk as a " method " as it is only used to keep your levels in line. A method to me is like the Berlin method the use of natural live rock for the filtration of the aquarium water. This was the method that started hobbyist on the road to success in keeping reef aquariums. The best "method" is the one that works for you. One that you can use to create the best reef aquarium that "you" can keep. I never think bad or think someone is doing something wrong because I think there are many things we have yet learned in keeping corals. Many things we do not know for certain so one must always strive to learn for other hobbyist.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m not familiar with the methods, but I just use a calcium reactor and test kits. I add additives as needed. It seems to be low maintenance method for me.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been loving Aqua Forest comp123 lately. It has basically everything you need mixed in so you're not having to dose random trace elements.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried af but have just reverted to kiss. It took probably 6 months to get them nice looking after stopping af fully and that was weaning them off of it. I do however still dose the vitality just because I had so much left and only one other thing acropower apart from the the regular 2 part and kalk.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified Red Sea. Only thing I'm not using is their Foundation ABC. For that I'm using BRS. Why?, because it's cheaper and I still have a few gallons worth of dry mix. It's the first real method I'm trying out. Before I just used a mix of everything and decided to just try out 1 line. When the BRS runs out I'll try their ABC Foundation.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified Red Sea. Only thing I'm not using is their Foundation ABC. For that I'm using BRS. Why?, because it's cheaper and I still have a few gallons worth of dry mix. It's the first real method I'm trying out. Before I just used a mix of everything and decided to just try out 1 line. When the BRS runs out I'll try their ABC Foundation.
Stick with what you're doing. I actually switched to BRS because it mixes easier with less residue and it's way cheaper for very basic chemicals. The RS ABC mix is much more concentrated so you'll have to either get mathematical on it or you'll have to play the "figure out how much Alk my tank uses per day" process. You risk Alk swings for no advantage at all.

I'm also dosing trace ABCD and Reef Energy which I think has research-backed scientific advantages for coral but the Foundation ABC is nothing special.

IMG_6946.JPG

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO calcium reactor is the most tried and true way to get traces and the basics. Especially if u add mag chips to it. Two part does not scale well for larger SPS tanks. Even my 75g when packed with SPS used upwards of two gallons of each alk and calc a month. Buying that much ESV would cost a ton, and making that much two part all the time proved to be a PITA. You can certainly have success with it, but it's alot more work and it starts costing a lot. I'm holding CaRx is the way to go long term. I think it's by far the most economical choice.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO calcium reactor is the most tried and true way to get traces and the basics. Especially if u add mag chips to it. Two part does not scale well for larger SPS tanks. Even my 75g when packed with SPS used upwards of two gallons of each alk and calc a month. Buying that much ESV would cost a ton, and making that much two part all the time proved to be a PITA. You can certainly have success with it, but it's alot more work and it starts costing a lot. I'm holding CaRx is the way to go long term. I think it's by far the most economical choice.
Nah... BRS three part is super cheap. It's more precise to dose than relying on pH probes and CO2 tanks/regulators IMO. I don't see myself ever calibrating/cleaning a pH probe so that could be disastrous.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im debating heavily on a calcium reactor vs dosing now.
I think the BRS mixing powder two part is really cheap long term, but the CaRx seems attractive to the standpoint of keeping up with demand.

I plan on stocking my 150 gal super heavy on sps, and wonder if dosing would keep up the same way as a dialed in reactor.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im debating heavily in a calcium reactor vs dosing now.
I think the BRS mixing powder two part is really cheap long term, but the CaRx seems attractive to the standpoint of keeping up with demand.

I plan on stocking my 150 gal super heavy on sps, and winder if dosing woukd keep up with daily demands
One thing that weighs in favor of a reactor is its ability to change output as the tank needs grow. I need to test every month or so and adjust my dosing rates.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that weighs in favor of a reactor is its ability to change output as the tank needs grow. I need to test every month or so and adjust my dosing rates.
Does your reactor have a second chamber or only one? Does a reactor supply all needed demands for alk or could there be need to dose it?

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you didn't mention the KISS method. I use this one because I am not smart enough to use the others :)

My thoughts EXACTLY. After 15-yrs in the hobby and two separate tank crashes, I now adopt the KISS method and all is bliss. In full transparency, I also keep corals that are much easier to keep and don't try to chase the SPS dominant craze....too much work for me as I get older and crankier:).

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts EXACTLY. After 15-yrs in the hobby and two separate tank crashes, I now adopt the KISS method and all is bliss. In full transparency, I also keep corals that are much easier to keep and don't try to chase the SPS dominant craze....too much work for me as I get older and crankier:).
Ha ha, I do admit that I am currently fully consumed by the SPS craze.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Red Sea kool-ade. Coral Pro salt, which I will switch to the blue bucket after this one runs out. A, B and C foundation and energy A and B. I'll start on the colors ABCD here soon.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Red Sea kool-ade. Coral Pro salt, which I will switch to the blue bucket after this one runs out. A, B and C foundation and energy A and B. I'll start on the colors ABCD here soon.
+1

I like the RS program compared to others. I like that trace element dosing is based off Ca consumption rather than Alk consumption (which is safer imo). They readily admit there is nothing fancy about a,b,c foundation. But if you use another brand, you'll need to do some math to know the proper amount for the others.

In general thou, many methods work, and I suspect 98% of the frustration or disappointments reefers encounter having nothing to do with chosing system A over B. Just cause it's the most marketed section of the hobby, doesn't mean it's the most important.

Taking advantage of the knowledge on R2R is probably the most important decision :)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I like the RS program compared to others. I like that trace element dosing is based off Ca consumption rather than Alk consumption (which is safer imo). They readily admit there is nothing fancy about a,b,c foundation. But if you use another brand, you'll need to do some math to know the proper amount for the others.

In general thou, many methods work, and I suspect 98% of the frustration or disappointments reefers encounter having nothing to do with chosing system A over B. Just cause it's the most marketed section of the hobby, doesn't mean it's the most important.

Taking advantage of the knowledge on R2R is probably the most important decision :)
The one thing I don't like about the Red Sea powder A and B over the liquid A and B is the B part(alk) powder mixes at 1/3 the strength of the pre mixed liquid. Requires a bit more math at first to get used to. Other than that they seem to be working just fine.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question really comes down to how much time do you have, are you one that likes to tinker and try new things, and how much money do you have to play with? Any way or method will work if you are comfortable with it, and willing to put in the time to fully understand what is going on chemically.. the cause and effect. I don't think there is a right way.

For me, I tried to pull the trigger on zeo a few times. The thing that scared me away is the lack of info out there. Yes, I've been on the forum, but who knows who you are talking to. I don't agree with (basically) stripping the water and then being forced to use several blue bottles with unknown components to make it right. I also don't like the window they give you with variation of drops per day and having to remember how many drops of each bottle per day. I'm sure its a good system if you have the money and are really into tweaking, and spending the time each day to be that involved. But its not necessary either.

As for what I do, I have tried about everything.. kalk, two part, Triton now, big water changes, no water changes.. its all worked. I do something different with each of my three systems. For me, simplicity and stability.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back