Which One Of These Should I Look To Get For A 75 Gallon? (poll)

Which One For A 75 Gallon?

• Total voters

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've wrote a similar thread about this a few weeks back focusing on the onespot foxface but I would like to see a poll edition of what people think would be the best for a 75 gallon 4 foot long reef tank based on their experience. If it is a yellow tang or onespot foxface then I would get them small. The foxface is definitely the largest one here but people think they are ok

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot in my 75 and he needs more tank. He paces.
The tomini tang is happy though.
I think the others listed are too big for 75g.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've wrote a similar thread about this a few weeks back focusing on the onespot foxface but I would like to see a poll edition of what people think would be the best for a 75 gallon 4 foot long reef tank based on their experience. If it is a yellow tang or onespot foxface then I would get them small. The foxface is definitely the largest one here but people think they are ok
My suggestions are only based on research and not much experience at this point, but the only one that may do well for its entire lifetime is the Kole tang.
Yellow tangs and one-spot foxfaces are kept by some in a tank as small as a 75-gallon, but I've read about a lot of issues eventually or people feeling like their yellow tang or foxface seemed to eventually not be content in such a relatively small tank.

Any of these options will also need a lot of open swimming space which will limit the amount of rock for nitrifying bacteria living space as well as limit the amount of space for corals (if this is your plan?).

Of course, any of these 3 may work while they are still small, but that is not a plan I personally recommend unless only for the quarantine tank size or you already have an upgrade in the planning to be completed within a short time-frame like a year or less. Rehoming is not always a simple plan and I personally do not like it as a plan for fish outgrowing a tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried two different Koles in a 80 and they both became so aggressive and moody... they had to go.

I have a Yellow Tang now and he's been around for awhile and doing well.

Plus you can buy a captive bred yellow and it will take forever to outgrow a 75. I almost never see Koles come in that small (sometimes tomini's do).

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like kole tangs are just as rare or even rarer than yellow tangs now? dang guess I don't have much of an option now as I don't really like the two spot bristletooth or tomini that much. Wise to go for like a baby hippo tang and rehome it when its larger?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface (5 or 6 years old) grew to his adult size, very quickly may be in 6 months. My hippo is 2 years now and it is still smaller than the Foxface. I have a 6' long, 120G.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back