Which pipefish and seahorses are these?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than one species of seahorse there? The one with the saddle markings may be the Hedgehog Seahorse, H. spinosissimus. (Can't quite tell if it has prominent spines from that video.) These are often collected as bycatch by SE Asian trawlers and wind up in the Chinese traditional medicine market. The other two species that are known for saddle markings are H. erectus and H. histrix. Could be erectus, doesn't look like histrix. Finding out where they were collected would answer the question, spinosissimus is Pacific, erectus is Atlantic.

Pipefish look like the Alligator Pipefish, S. biaculeatus.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea! I haven't kept any of these. I imagine they'd do well in a quiet tank with appropriate food.
:)

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alligator pipefishes are good eaters, and can be acclimated to eat frozen foods like mysis.
however, some require live food.
dont know the seahorse species.....they look like wide bright eyed ones

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back