Which protien skimmer is this

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my fellow reefers
Im trying to identify this protien skimmer....the pump works but the cord is frayed. I’m trying to figure out how to get the correct replacement pump for it ...please help

B85AFE1E-AAA7-4FFB-B890-73E2253040CC.jpeg 4C4A1738-214A-46B2-A14B-C1D171C948D4.jpeg C58E77E5-366A-48E0-9832-8779BE056B2C.jpeg C9D44150-8B6A-499F-88F3-4AF30F5C071B.jpeg EF980C60-7A55-40F4-8C61-63684D7DAC73.jpeg 9DEA1852-E22C-4A63-92EB-B42FE42507B2.jpeg

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s old enough you’re not gonna find replacement with old school venturi like that. But not a problem. I’d recommend sicce PSK 600 or 800 with a new Venturi, and modify a method to attach it. Zip ties are pretty useful.

OP
OP
bull2k20

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s old enough you’re not gonna find replacement with old school venturi like that. But not a problem. I’d recommend sicce PSK 600 or 800 with a new Venturi, and modify a method to attach it. Zip ties are pretty useful.
So you are saying it’s a Venturi skimmer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a reef octopus 100 series

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree octopus

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, is there any tag,number, or design on pump ,looks like an otp model body,not sure if fitting is standard or metric??

OP
OP
bull2k20

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was even trying to find it by trying to look up other skimmers that have that acrylic base that houses the pump but to no avail .

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like and SWC maybe.. and those I am pretty sure are metric.. the 2 I had both were.. but they usually have SWC stamped on the lid of the cup. The one I have I am using a Sicce 600 on but did have to modify things to make it work.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
take union to store with you ,to see if metric ,then know what pump to order w fittings

OP
OP
bull2k20

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like and SWC maybe.. and those I am pretty sure are metric.. the 2 I had both were.. but they usually have SWC stamped on the lid of the cup. The one I have I am using a Sicce 600 on but did have to modify things to make it work.
Can you send a pic of yours and the mods ? If you have any pics ...I guess the thing I need the most now is to find out where I can find a screw on fitting to match the base of the skimmer

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you can get a metric to American standard conversion piece.. I would look at BRS.. I know I have seen something there.. though not sure if it what you need. I cut parts off and installed standard American thread parts. I also shortened the legs.

I would take a part of your skimmer to a Home Depot or equivalent and make sure American parts don't fit first.. before ordering anything, verify what you have. As to modifications, if they aren't the same, my mods may have nothing to do with the skimmer you have. though the pumps looked the same. Determine what you have and decide what you need. Relying on us here at R2R might just cause you to scrap the whole thing.. Plan it out.. and then go..

You will need to modify pump to skimmer. You may need to modify the skimmer legs. You may need to make your own venture.... Any number of possibilities.. YOU decide here.

SOme of my mods included using my lathe to make a fitting to directly insert 3/4 in American into the hole in the base.. No threads. Also used PVC tubing to connect from pump to skimmer as the Sicce was a smaller pump .. Shortened the skimmer legs so the pump would sit flat on the bottom of the sump.. Yo need to look at yours. and make your decisions.. Miy mods are crude but worked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bull2k20

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you can get a metric to American standard conversion piece.. I would look at BRS.. I know I have seen something there.. though not sure if it what you need. I cut parts off and installed standard American thread parts. I also shortened the legs.

I would take a part of your skimmer to a Home Depot or equivalent and make sure American parts don't fit first.. before ordering anything, verify what you have. As to modifications, if they aren't the same, my mods may have nothing to do with the skimmer you have. though the pumps looked the same. Determine what you have and decide what you need. Relying on us here at R2R might just cause you to scrap the whole thing.. Plan it out.. and then go..

You will need to modify pump to skimmer. You may need to modify the skimmer legs. You may need to make your own venture.... Any number of possibilities.. YOU decide here.

SOme of my mods included using my lathe to make a fitting to directly insert 3/4 in American into the hole in the base.. No threads. Also used PVC tubing to connect from pump to skimmer as the Sicce was a smaller pump .. Shortened the skimmer legs so the pump would sit flat on the bottom of the sump.. Yo need to look at yours. and make your decisions.. Miy mods are crude but worked.
Nice I appreciate that I’ll start checking for some fittings at the depot and local fish stores

OP
OP
bull2k20

bull2k20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I can find that piece that I circled on top I would be in good shape ..I’m going to call brs tomorrow and inquire about it

D304C800-6BA4-4F58-91BB-E94928459F3A.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back