Which to believe...Milwaukee Refractometer or Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer?

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Wondering what you'd do...

My new Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer is reading my tank at 1.0235 SG while my Milwaukee Refractometer is reading 1.022. What gives? The Milwaukee was calibrated as instructed with RODI water (direct from my new BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System). I've heard the Hydrometer is the ultimate in precision, but it's recommended to get the milwaukee for convenience (and accuracy). What would you do in this situation? Thanks!

Last edited:

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust the hydrometer all things being equal. Perhaps make a reference solution and compare, that's an enormous difference and I would want to be 100% certain.

I have had refractometers vary so wildly month to month and even multiple new unused reference solutions disagreeing by meaningful amounts.

Why not confirm the hydrometer then calibrate an easy to read swing arm hydrometer that you keep clean and re-calibrate occasionally? A swing arm hydrometer is the quickest to use and easiest to read...doesn't require electricity or full sun. Both will last forever.

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry...I originally incorrectly stated the Hydrometer was 1.035 above when it IS ACTUALLY 1.0235. And the Refractometer is 1.022. Still...quite different. I corrected my original post above to say 1.0235. It sounds like the Milwaukee, while convenient, is not as accurate as I was hoping (for the cost). It sounds like I should trust my hydrometer most.

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Hydrometer and use that to help confirm my refractometer I use.

I was using a hannah salinity checker but that thing is crap. Would calibrate it every week and it would still be way off, so I got the refractometer and hydrometer and use those together.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry...I incorrectly stated the Hydrometer was 1.035 when it IS ACTUALLY 1.0235. And the Refractometer is 1.022. Still...quite different.
1.What's the margin of error for the Milwaukee?
2. What is the water temp (and did you calculate/adjust the Tropic Marin result based on this)?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get a Vee Gee refractometer - calibrate it to a known salinity. And you will never second guess a reading again.
Ideally, you would calibrate your refractometer (with a solution of known salinity) before each use and adjust accordingly... No second guessing needed.

Edit: I do this when using a handheld refractometer for quick adjustments when mixing saltwater... and yes, I do a calibration read EACH TIME I test during that mixing session. No reason to skip that step when it takes 3 seconds.
Final check with the Tropic Marin (I'm afraid of breaking it so try to handle it sparingly, lol)

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for mentioning adjusting the Hydrometer for temp...I completely forgot that step and here are my new results which are less concerning, but still interesting:
Hydrometer: 1.023 (adjusted for temp)
Refractometer: 1.022 (calibrated using RODI)

Refractometer accuracy is supposed to be +/- 0.002 SG

So 1.023 versus 1.022...actually not too bad! Wow...this exercise with you all has actually taught me a lot (especially to get more familiar with my hydrometer scale and adjust for temp (I found and used this: https://www.morebeer.com/content/hydrometer_correction_calculator)...and that my Refractometer is not terribly accurate and maybe I won't use much except for quick convenient checks.

I'll check out the Randy's test solution suggestion. Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the accuracy of each, they may both be perfectly accurate. :)

The milwaukee, for example, only claims 1.0235 means 1.0215 to 1.0255

ACCURACY: ±2 PSU | ±2 ppt | ±0.002 S.G. (20/20) | ±0.3°C / ±0.5°F

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Veegee as well, the only true refractometer on the market, calibrate with RODI to 0.000 and will be accurate at any level. Other refractometers ATC to 25C even though reference solution are set to 20C.
I also use Hanna and find it works amazing, not sure about all the negative reviews I hear, I’ve only calibrated it once in 2 years now and it’s dead on with Veegee

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Veegee as well, the only true refractometer on the market, calibrate with RODI to 0.000 and will be accurate at any level. Other refractometers ATC to 25C even though reference solution are set to 20C.
I also use Hanna and find it works amazing, not sure about all the negative reviews I hear, I’ve only calibrated it once in 2 years now and it’s dead on with Veegee
Which Hanna Salinity tester do you have? I see they have several options.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad it is working although Hanna recommends monthly.

1685023326331.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , is a conductivity probe more accurate than the other options we've been discussing? Does this also need frequently calibration?

Some are, some aren't. The best conductivity probes, calibrated properly, will be more accurate than most other devices.

That said, making cheap anything doesn't always lend itself to accuracy.

I am a fan of higher end, 4 electrode conductivity meters/probes, even if they are purchased used from a place such as ebay.

I have an old Orion model 128 with a 4 electrode probe that worked perfectly for many years (still does, I think). It actually cannot be calibrated, but it can be checked in a standard, and corrected as needed. It never varied from reading a bit low in a commercial KCl standard over many years. I don't recommend leaving them in reef tank water 24/7 to reduce fouling.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you about the Hanna tester. I was so surprised that my refractometer was off even after calibration. I'd zero it and test. The SG was reading 1.025 bang on and the Hanna was reading 1.021 after calibration. So down to my lfs and checked the refractometer against his many hundred dollar one and then tested it against the new IO swing arm and the 20+ year old IO swing arm, and believe it or not but the swing arms being totally a different shape tester were both identical and pretty much eyeballing it was so close to his refractometer.

So in the trash the refractometer went as it was the problem to the issue.

Hanna tester is reading 1.025 and comparing both swing arms and LFS refractometer the water is reading the test equipment to 1.0255 so I can live with that and it's in the margin of % Hanna claims so I'm happy with that and not concerned of a .001 +/- as everything we use isn't 100% accurate;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back