Which to believe...Milwaukee Refractometer or Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it do that? It's all I use anymore.

It was just off. I trusted it so much I didn't think salinity was my problem. I chased a problem in my tank for months. Spent a fair amount of money trying to figure it out. One day on a whim while at Petco I bought a refractometer to just try one out. It read 1.035. I was flabbergasted. So I checked it again with an old swing arm IO one I had. Same. 1.033. The TM still read 1.025. Started taking water out and letting it top off with RO. Things turned around almost immediately.

It was indeed faulty. I couldn't believe it. I felt so irresponsible. I thought I was using the best. Still may even be the best but now I'll stick with the refractometer.

That refractometer is now 4 or 5 years old and I still use it. I calibrate with BRS solution.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust but verify
I was using other methods and used a hydrometer to be accurate is temperature I think Randy has a chart for this I bought the water tube so you can get a good reading instead of bobbing about in bucks and tanks . This is only my opinion
Trust but verify

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all. Wondering what you'd do...

My new Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer is reading my tank at 1.0235 SG while my Milwaukee Refractometer is reading 1.022. What gives? The Milwaukee was calibrated as instructed with RODI water (direct from my new BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System). I've heard the Hydrometer is the ultimate in precision, but it's recommended to get the milwaukee for convenience (and accuracy). What would you do in this situation? Thanks!
After reviewing 5 different testers on a video, Milwaukee failed 3X and TM was found to be accurate

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Milwaukee was calibrated as instructed with RODI water (direct from my new BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System).
This is a problem also. As said, calibrate it to a known solution not rodi. The slope could be off as many are.

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a problem also. As said, calibrate it to a known solution not rodi. The slope could be off as many are.
I'm using the milwaukee as well. Would I calibrate to a 0 ppt solution or is there a way to calibrate to the 35 ppt? Should I use the included solution or buy some from a store like brs?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronic Hydrometers can be thrown off by; High Powered Fluorescent Drivers, LED Drivers and Power Supplies, Hat Type LED’s. Inverter Motors in your Furnace, AC Units, Refrigerator, Clothes Washer, Dryer and any other Appliance, that has these motors. Also there is a residual charge in the Inverter Motor, after the Motor has stopped, that slowly fades away.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the milwaukee as well. Would I calibrate to a 0 ppt solution or is there a way to calibrate to the 35 ppt? Should I use the included solution or buy some from a store like brs?

It forces you to calibrate with RO/DI, I think, but then you can always check it with a 35 ppt standard.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Wondering what you'd do...

My new Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer is reading my tank at 1.0235 SG while my Milwaukee Refractometer is reading 1.022. What gives? The Milwaukee was calibrated as instructed with RODI water (direct from my new BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System). I've heard the Hydrometer is the ultimate in precision, but it's recommended to get the milwaukee for convenience (and accuracy). What would you do in this situation? Thanks!
Did you compensate for temperature using the hydrometer?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just off. I trusted it so much I didn't think salinity was my problem. I chased a problem in my tank for months. Spent a fair amount of money trying to figure it out. One day on a whim while at Petco I bought a refractometer to just try one out. It read 1.035. I was flabbergasted. So I checked it again with an old swing arm IO one I had. Same. 1.033. The TM still read 1.025. Started taking water out and letting it top off with RO. Things turned around almost immediately.

It was indeed faulty. I couldn't believe it. I felt so irresponsible. I thought I was using the best. Still may even be the best but now I'll stick with the refractometer.

That refractometer is now 4 or 5 years old and I still use it. I calibrate with BRS solution.
Anything you buy can be faulty, all things being equal, I would trust the hydrometer every time.

Anyone thinking of buying a hydrometer, they are easy enough to test, either buy a reference solution to test, or better still make Randy’s DIY solution, to test its accurate before you use it.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back