Whistling Weir Teeth

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm having a issue eliminating the "whistling" of the water flowing through the weir teeth on my overflow. Not sure if whistling is the correct description of fast moving air noise through the weir teeth is better. I have a ESHOPPS-L overflow box. My return pumps are a Varios-2 and Varios-4 set to speeds 1 and 2 respectively. The water flow from the weir box into the external overflow box is pretty quite. For the overflow into the sump I have a Bean Animal setup.

Looking for suggestions from others that have experienced this issue and eliminated this annoying whistling or rushing air sound through the teeth.

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a waterfall, raise the level of the water in the box so it doesn't fall?
hth.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a waterfall, raise the level of the water in the box so it doesn't fall?
hth.
KrisReef - No waterfall effect. I did have that issue but eliminated it by raising my secondary drain. It's just the noise through the weir teeth.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a pain, but you could try filing a chamfer/bevel into the vertical edges of the tooth cutouts. No idea if it would heap, but I cannot think of anything else. Earplugs maybe LOL.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a pain, but you could try filing a chamfer/bevel into the vertical edges of the tooth cutouts. No idea if it would heap, but I cannot think of anything else. Earplugs maybe LOL.
yeah that would be a pain in ****. Going to see if a small mesh screen breaks up the sound

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that would be a pain in ****. Going to see if a small mesh screen breaks up the sound
Got me thinking. Sound is produced by vibration. You need to rig up something to stop the vibrations in the teeth. How? I'm thinking braces, or somehow clamping them together so they cant move?

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me thinking. Sound is produced by vibration. You need to rig up something to stop the vibrations in the teeth. How? I'm thinking braces, or somehow clamping them together so they cant move?
Good suggestion. Put something like a wedge in the internal box to see if that works.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo oddly enough when I got home today I noticed I had a microbubble issue. One of my pumps was sucking in bubbles from the water falling over the weir in the rtn chamber. I re-positioned my pumps and raised my ATO sensor and when I turned them back on the "rushing air" sound through the weir teeth was all but gone. I had the pump intake of one pump position away from the weir and one right next to it. I positioned both pump intakes to be away from the weir and now no more microbubbles and no more rushing air. I have some water noise but nothing compared to what I had before. Thank You MICROBUBBLE Problem!

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo oddly enough when I got home today I noticed I had a microbubble issue. One of my pumps was sucking in bubbles from the water falling over the weir in the rtn chamber. I re-positioned my pumps and raised my ATO sensor and when I turned them back on the "rushing air" sound through the weir teeth was all but gone. I had the pump intake of one pump position away from the weir and one right next to it. I positioned both pump intakes to be away from the weir and now no more microbubbles and no more rushing air. I have some water noise but nothing compared to what I had before. Thank You MICROBUBBLE Problem!
So that did not fix the rushing air noise. The TV was on and just didn't hear it tell the house was quite.

I had some screen netting left over from the Red Sea tank topper and cut a piece to fit behind the weir teeth and taped it in with some water proof gorilla tape. So far no more rushing air sound and the tank is pretty quite. Not dead silent like when I just run one pump but quite enough to not annoy me too much.

I think the last thing I can do if the netting becomes a issue is to pull the inside weir box and use my oscillating saw to cut a slit across the teeth much like how the EMS inside box is. Other than doing that (which I believe would work) I'm out of ideas. But like I said, the red sea screen mesh seems to be winning the battle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 60 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 65 54.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%

Back