White center on my colonies

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone knows why the center of my colonies are getting white?

336193BB-077A-4E3F-BA9B-48A2991EAF60.jpeg 0BDBF41A-3315-4FBB-B3E0-9ECDE2E6F374.jpeg

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one on the right has been like that for months. Now I notice on my Pink Cadi too. Alk is low, 6. Its hard to keep it up on my tank. I will try to get closer.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would had killed the colonies long ago.

Not exactly, aefw can only really kill colonies off entirely if the problem goes unseen, and they are allowed to reproduce unchecked, that can take months to get that bad.

Screenshot_20200702-194720_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200702-195458_Chrome.jpg

See those circular "scars" ? =AFEW

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang and it’s so hard to get them off. It’s been months like that.

Better pics will confirm, Id be looking for egg masses on dead skeleton or all along the base, they wont lay eggs on living tissue, they lay eggs where the acros base meets the rock or, in this case on dead skeleton next to living tissue
they can easily be mistaken for algea growth, but if you look very closely you will see the golden brownish-green spheres clustered together, each egg is around the size of a grain of refined sugar, or even smaller.

Wish you the best of luck in your upcoming battle with them.

With diligent weekly dipping, sealing and isolation they can be beat, but its a lot of work.

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like AEFW. Its not as much of a death sentence as people like to think it is.
Remove the colonies, place them on disks so you can remove them from the tank and dip weekly. Buy some yellow coris wrasses and start dipping. If you're patient and have time they'll be gone in no time

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it was. My yellow Coris wrasse die 6mo ago. I had seen this before but it went away when I had all my wrasses.

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you
Better pics will confirm, Id be looking for egg masses on dead skeleton or all along the base, they wont lay eggs on living tissue, they lay eggs where the acros base meets the rock or, in this case on dead skeleton next to living tissue
they can easily be mistaken for algea growth, but if you look very closely you will see the golden brownish-green spheres clustered together, each egg is around the size of a grain of refined sugar, or even smaller.

Wish you the best of luck in your upcoming battle with them.

With diligent weekly dipping, sealing and isolation they can be beat, but its a lot of work.

Found some eggs at the bottom the the colonies. I smashed them and killed them with my finger. Some fell to the bottom. Hope they get eaten by other corals. I have a long way to go.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t freak out they arent as bad as a lot of people think. Just baste the corals off to keep the worms from taking hold until you can treat. I had luck with flat worm stop at a double dose which eventually killed them. After a few months you won’t even notice they are there.

OP
OP
Oscar Bravo

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t freak out they arent as bad as a lot of people think. Just baste the corals off to keep the worms from taking hold until you can treat. I had luck with flat worm stop at a double dose which eventually killed them. After a few months you won’t even notice they are there.
By treat you mean dip?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either treat the tank by dipping all acros once a week for 5 weeks or if your patient then dose a double dose of flatworm stop for 6+months until you can’t find them anymore I have had success with both methods.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back