White slim bacterial bloom

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 31, 208 6:50pm CST

Well I completly cleared up the slime and I have been slime free for over a month now.

1. Weekly cleaning, I cleaned the sump, glass, overflow and all drain/supply lines, skimmer and retuen pump.
2. Used power head to manually blow off rock work again weekly.
3. Heavy feeding with pellets only.
4. Added SeaChem Phosphate twice a week. Added nothing else.
5. Changed Salt to Tropic Marin.
6. No water changes.
7. Skimmed wet, very wet.
8. Changed 200 micron sock daily.
9. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
10. Wait, wait, wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates to yalls tanks? Think I am going through the same thing and wanted to see if your methods help resolve the problem!
Thanks!!

It cleared up for me within a couple of days. I suspended the nopox dosing, started wet skimming, and changing filter floss. All back to normal, just lowered my daily dosage of nopox. Best of luck!

tmabry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! Im trying to decide if this approach will work better for me or just keep up with the wet skimming, uv and small feedings to try to starve it out. Think I started mine with spraying too much febreeze near the tank and the combination of refresh and waste away have created a massive amount of bacteria and carbon source.

tmabry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that my Slime outbreak was from Waste-Away and Vibrant, ot took 6 months to rid myself of it.

Good luck in ridding yourself of this stuff.

Do you believe if you would have kept up with the wet skimming and minimal feeding and just stopped the use of waste away and vibrant the slime would have subsided as well? Trying to evaluate the options before changing up to overfeeding.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe if you would have kept up with the wet skimming and minimal feeding and just stopped the use of waste away and vibrant the slime would have subsided as well? Trying to evaluate the options before changing up to overfeeding.
No I tried stopping the additives for 2 months without success, I changed 25% of the water and still no success. It was not until I stopped doing anything except cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning that things began to change.

I changed salts from Red Sea Pro to Tropic Marin because I was told by Dr. Timm's that Red Sea was having a problem with some of their salts. I do not know if it was true but it did not hurt to change.

tmabry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. Looks like I may have to go that route then. I have a small AIO tank so have to do water changes to clean the sump. May try a few more weeks of weekly heavy water changes. Cleaning. Wet skimming and uv....nitrates are 0 so really want to see that come up to know that I have started to get this kicked. Heck I wouldn’t mind to see some algae growth as the tank has had none

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. Looks like I may have to go that route then. I have a small AIO tank so have to do water changes to clean the sump. May try a few more weeks of weekly heavy water changes. Cleaning. Wet skimming and uv....nitrates are 0 so really want to see that come up to know that I have started to get this kicked. Heck I wouldn’t mind to see some algae growth as the tank has had none
You might want to stop the UV, I tried it with limited success (almost none really) and the UV will kill the alge you are trying to grow.

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my update: i still have slime not gotten worse but i have neglected my weekly 100% scrub clean of sump, plumbing, return - i just clean glass 2-3 a week (family time issues)

waste-away/refresh method did nothing for my slime issue besides $. have not done waterchange in months just adding salt to floss pads. change floss 3 times a day. have slowed overfeeding a bit. stopped adding seachem po4. took skimmer offline month ago as cleaning the slime out if it took 1.5 hours every week or so has made no difference at all (aquamaxx hob 1.5)

myself when i get a day to myself am doing a 100% rip clean. pull all frags and rock using existing water to temp tank. toss and remove sand bed and clean tank and equipment. refill with 100% new water no sand bed. scrub frags and rock (what i can) and rinse, spray with peroxide wait 30seconds and rinse with new water and place in clean tank. clean off snails n hermits shells same way. the fish will be gone after tear/tare down.

this is my last shot might do 1-2 cleanings like this. works awesome if not i’ll sell off everything. good luck to you all!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates?

I've been dosing diy NoPoX for about 2 months and I have a small amount of white slime that shows up in display. Where the issue is, is in my 2little fishes P04 reactor. Every 5-7 days the bottom sponge gets clogged and gfo stops tumbling. The first couple of times I took it off line to rinse sponges was no big deal but now it's a pita.

I might run it without sponges and set the flow so gfo does not leave the reactor.

jld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a ripclean like mentioned. cleaned everything with new water. stuff came back.

I tore down tank. chipped all coral off rock and put enough rock to keep a 10gallon tank running packed with everything on eggcrate frag racks. cleaned my display and did a fresh fishless cycle with new dry rock/sand moved everything back when cycle was done. so far so good. also running a UV and skimmer after cycle ended. dosing neonitro to keep nitrates at 5ish for now 16:1 ratio no3/po4

basically i gave up the battle with it and rebooted.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back