White stringy critter

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these white/brown stringy things on a couple of different rocks. It sort of looks like a feather duster but super super thin. Anyone have any suggestions?
B578D6E7-B54B-4ADA-A776-03D2AC4CF61D.jpeg
sorry for the bad photo quality. It’s just hard to capture a good picture of these guys..

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know honestly...I had the star type of hydroid you see on the glass in a tank before and they seemed to go away over a month or so then never came back...I’d just search threads for other people’s experiences.
I had the exact same thing and those suckers haven’t gone away yet.. I was told that practically every reef gets em so it’s not much to worry about but I just didn’t know about the digitate ones. thank you!

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything to worry about?
Nothing to worry about and no they are not standard digitate (Zanclea) hydroids, i can't quite tell if they are a thecate or athecate species from the distance of the photo but most hydroids do not become an issue

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back