White stuff on rock, fish dying

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for everything I could identify as dead on the love rock and left it in buckets of saltwater for a couple days. Now we have this white stuff growing on it and have had 2 fish just up and die.
Testing water now but Saturday the LFS tested a water sample and said the only thing was our ammonia was a little high but not emergency high.
20180402_175203.jpg
20180402_175214.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything but ammonia tested fine. Ammonia between. 5 and 1 if we tested right.

You can see this stuff everywhere.

20180402_182206.jpg
20180402_182159.jpg

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the white stuff but you shouldn't have any ammonia with that many things in the tank. How long has it been up? I'd recommend getting a bottle of instant ocean bio-spira and dump it in to facilitate bacteria growing that can take care of the ammonia. You should probably test your ammonia and nitrite levels every day until they are 0. Next you'll want to watch your nitrate level such that it stays below 10 and below 5 if you have corals.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our old light was almost all white light. About to hook that up and see if it brightens up to take the pic. There seems to be almost like a dusting of snow coating the rocks and stuff.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the white stuff but you shouldn't have any ammonia with that many things in the tank. How long has it been up? I'd recommend getting a bottle of instant ocean bio-spira and dump it in to facilitate bacteria growing that can take care of the ammonia. You should probably test your ammonia and nitrite levels every day until they are 0. Next you'll want to watch your nitrate level such that it stays below 10 and below 5 if you have corals.

Its relatively new actually. The live rock was added last week. We bought a used set up and made the mistake of overloading it and over feeding.

Nitrite and nitrate are 0 are almost 0

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the bacteria grow they will break down the ammonia into nitrite. Then a different bacteria will grow and break the nitrite down into nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to all sea creatures and there is none in the ocean. If you don't add some starter bacteria it will take longer for the bacteria to grow, you will have higher and longer ammonia and nitrite spikes and you might lose some of your inhabitants. I'd put some starter bacteria in the tank and monitor it every day. Once there is no more ammonia and nitrite in the tank and your nitrates start to rise, you will have completed your cycle.

To give you an idea of how long the cycle lasts its usually a month without bacteria and a few days to a week with starter bacteria.

Tenji

Aquarium Design + Build
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is toxic to animals at extremely low levels. Anything above 0.2 ppm requires immediate correction. Your ammonia level is double, or quadruple that, which is why you are losing fishes.

I suspect there was die-off on the live rock you recently added, and you note some overfeeding, which will also spike ammonia.

Do a 50%+ water change after matching salinity, temperature, and pH. Continue to perform this size water change until ammonia is reduced to zero (may require multiple per day).

Any detectable ammonia in a reef system is an emergency, I suggest finding a new local fish store if they told you otherwise.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea we have some of that we are using now. This weird white crap has us a little freaking out. Like I said it's almost like snow.

Here's a better picture. It's kind of slimy. I was reading about some kind of bacteria bloom that can be caused by VOGs or something.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some ready to go salt water that we can put in the small 10g set up. Transfer the fish we have there and start fresh.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has this tank been running?

Bout 3 weeks probably. But we bought it as an existing system that had been running for 6 months or more. We added real reef rock and live rock and more fish. In hindsight we added too many fish, and my allergies were acting up so I couldn't smell the live rock very well. But that piece I pulled off absolutely reeked.

So what do I do about the live rock now? Pull it out right? Soak it in tubs of saltwater for awhile? Overly salty or normal and how long? I'm not above throwing it out but I'm for sure gonna be scared about ordering more down the road.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, scrub that stuff as best You can & big water changes. I don't know hoe to summons the reef squad however I'm sure they will give you more info !
Don't Ya just love reef keeping?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a separate bucket with Salt water & a scrub brush & scrub it off & swish. 2 buckets would be better !

How did you do that ? LOL # reef squad
see didn't work for me ! Hey You got other stuff going on . Summons them

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a store getting more salt and stuff. Looking at their Caribsea live sand like "hey just start fresh" they have 3 bags, 2 of them have a green substance inside lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back