OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were mid to mid high on the scale. The one that looks mostly just like rock and reddish orange was probably a 5, the one with plants a 5-6, barnacles a 6 (barnacles came off when i scrubbed) with the other being like a 7.

20180404_000843.jpg 20180404_000838.jpg 20180404_000633.jpg 20180404_000330.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for these beauts. These babies ranged from the one with the orange sponge looking thing (i pulled that off) being an 8-9, to the one with the slime looking thing and black spot (something that broke apart when being scrubbed) being "oh my god, Hela put these on earth because even the denizens of Hell could no stand the smell".

20180404_000928.jpg 20180404_000919.jpg 20180404_000851.jpg

20180404_000915.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yea, I'm slightly nervous about ever putting any of that stuff in my tank again. But man when I first had it in some water, it looked so good with so much life lol.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 surviving fish are now being fostered at LFS (which is still funny to say outloud).

Have enough new live sand and ready to go water to get started. Got the new filter and used protein skimmer in today as well.

So the reef rock should go in now? And the "live" rock not for 3-4 weeks. Or can the pieces of live that dont reek of death go in now since we won't be putting livestock in for a couple weeks?

Let's see if this works again haha
#reefsquad

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and all that's left in the 10g tank are 2 starfish, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and a few hermit crabs, 2 emeralds and a couple snails. About to do a water change on it as well. That shouldn't be too much in there for now should it? When is it generally safe to add the hermits and stuff to the tank?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put them in buckets with powerheads.

But yea, if nothing is in the tank do it there.
Could be fun and scary to watch.

Right now I have them in two separate tubs with powerheads, air stones and heaters. Live rock in one, real reef from LFS in another one.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put them in buckets with powerheads.

But yea, if nothing is in the tank do it there.
Could be fun and scary to watch.

Oh and reefsquad leader, im humbled lol.

I was just wondering if the real reef stuff that didn't spend more than like 2 days with the live rock should go in the tank to help the cycling. Still reading and learning about that.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if the real reef stuff that didn't spend more than like 2 days with the live rock should go in the tank to help the cycling. Still reading and learning about that.

Throw it all in there. You want to cycle everything all at once. The more surface area you have for beneficial bacteria to establish itself the better.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and reefsquad leader, im humbled lol.

I think you just had a lot of die of from the live rock.
I’ve rarely seen problems with mixing rock or live rock.

I’m still unclear as the what the “stuff “ was.
I belive the real reef rock is coated and seeded (not sure how long that was in the tank) , but add that to ammoina and I have seen some odd stuff during cycling.

Die off from real ocean live rock is to be expected , lots of odd life does die.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't read through all the replies, but in an emergency where you have ammonia in the tank: a short term fix til you can set up a holding tank is to dose Seachem Prime. They have emergency dosing instructions on the label. (Believe it's 1 mL/Gallon)

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just had a lot of die of from the live rock.
I’ve rarely seen problems with mixing rock or live rock.

I’m still unclear as the what the “stuff “ was.
I belive the real reef rock is coated and seeded (not sure how long that was in the tank) , but add that to ammoina and I have seen some odd stuff during cycling.

Die off from real ocean live rock is to be expected , lots of odd life does die.

So when we got the tank the guy said he had it set up for about 6 months with 75 pounds of "live rock". It definitely wasn't 75 pounds lol, it was the 3 pieces I have that are lighter colored. And it wasn't "live" in the sense like the crap I ordered.

We've had the tank a total of like 3 weeks I guess. The we added real reef rock from our LFS and all of that was in the tank for the last 2.5 weeks together, no problems really (other than from us being rookies and overstocking the tank cause we thought it was established). This past friday the live rock I ordered came in and we added it. By monday morning "oh crap!". The stuff was this odd white slimy looking thing on some of the rocks. And it was almost like we had a dusting of snow over everything.

Like I said earlier, some lessons learned from this experience for sure haha. My friend found a 120g set up for sale and the first thing I told him was "replace the sand and don't add any more fish!".

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't read through all the replies, but in an emergency where you have ammonia in the tank: a short term fix til you can set up a holding tank is to dose Seachem Prime. They have emergency dosing instructions on the label. (Believe it's 1 mL/Gallon)

We have a holding tank now actually. But it's only a 10g, that's the most we have space for currently in our apartment.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake one with rock like that a lot of that will come back a live I wash it all off a scrub it all off I had big problems with my tank with rock like that it looks cool when I bought it

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when we got the tank the guy said he had it set up for about 6 months with 75 pounds of "live rock". It definitely wasn't 75 pounds lol, it was the 3 pieces I have that are lighter colored. And it wasn't "live" in the sense like the crap I ordered.

We've had the tank a total of like 3 weeks I guess. The we added real reef rock from our LFS and all of that was in the tank for the last 2.5 weeks together, no problems really (other than from us being rookies and overstocking the tank cause we thought it was established). This past friday the live rock I ordered came in and we added it. By monday morning "oh crap!". The stuff was this odd white slimy looking thing on some of the rocks. And it was almost like we had a dusting of snow over everything.

Like I said earlier, some lessons learned from this experience for sure haha. My friend found a 120g set up for sale and the first thing I told him was "replace the sand and don't add any more fish!".
Hahahaha. Yep. That’s the learning curve.

I’d suspect it was a bizzare bacteria or something.
Adding ammonia to a rock covered in bacterial spores.

I’d put it all in and let it cook myself. Probaly take a month.

Most any “live rock” that’s etbalished will have die off almost immediately after it comes out of the water. Hindsight now , but an easy fix is to drop it in a bucket of tank water with a powerhead.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha. Yep. That’s the learning curve.

I’d suspect it was a bizzare bacteria or something.
Adding ammonia to a rock covered in bacterial spores.

I’d put it all in and let it cook myself. Probaly take a month.

Most any “live rock” that’s etbalished will have die off almost immediately after it comes out of the water. Hindsight now , but an easy fix is to drop it in a bucket of tank water with a powerhead.

I put it in a bucket but only for a couple hours. And looking back it absolutely smelled like death when I opened the box (even had a small red crab fall off).

Does this clam thing look alive or dead to you? I've never seen it open. If it's dead I want it to get it off somehow right? I can take a better picture if that will help.

clam.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably dead. You can take it off either way.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got the new sand, rock and water in the tank last night. Did take advantage to do a little better aquascaping this time around. Not on the level I've seen on here but I think it's not bad for our first real attempt at it. Now how in the heck can i get all the sand off the rocks? (maybe I should have added the sand, then water, then rocks lol)

Protein skimmer arrived broken :mad::mad: Guy from here that sold it to me has already filed the claim with USPS so no issues there, just sucks. Now I need to try and find another one here or just buy a new one.
Here's how it showed up. Thanks for taking care of that box with "Fragile" on it USPS lol.
skimmer3.jpg
skimmer2.jpg
skimmer1.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back