White (yellow) tang spotted in Hawaii (video)

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How rare are white tangs? Video from a snorkel off west coast of big island Hawaii yesterday, filmed just as I was getting out in the shallows - completely white ‘yellow’ tang with slight yellow tinge to fins, swimming alongside its true yellow family!

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the best frame of him next to a regular yellow tang.
54079FE8-116A-4338-8CFD-84DC2B0C3A98.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here article on a similar tang in hawaii from last year and was a thread started with a video on one in hawaii about 6 months ago like yourselfs, not sure exactly how rare but rare is all I can guess,I know watched a YouTube video of someone with a massive tank/system and he had 2 abherant tangs think it spelled and he literally paid thousands like 20 odd thousand if remember correctly,I posted in the thread and shared a link or video think it was in the other thread ( it's in my post history but far to Kate fir me to go digging
Just tried typing few times in search part here on r2r but can't find it off course

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was a good size too, a good 8”. The. GoPro has a scuba filter on so the in the video doesn’t quite do him justice in the shallow water, impressive fish. He was in a shoal of about a dozen yellows and caught my eye just as I was about to stand and pull my fins off.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know watched a YouTube video of someone with a massive tank/system and he had 2 abherant tangs think it spelled and he literally paid thousands like 20 odd thousand if remember correctly,I posted in the thread and shared a link or video think it was in the other thread ( it's in my post history but far to Kate fir me to go digging
Just tried typing few times in search part here on r2r but can't find it off course
I think that you’re referring to Hedgedrew’s 17000g tank in Long Island NY

Maka he'e lani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How rare are white tangs? Video from a snorkel off west coast of big island Hawaii yesterday, filmed just as I was getting out in the shallows - completely white ‘yellow’ tang with slight yellow tinge to fins, swimming alongside its true yellow family!
The public beach where I snorkel has a few of these. I never tell online where because illegal collectors then show up trying to capture them. Seems like if one has the gene then it passes them on. Over the past 10 years I have taken photos of at least 6 of them with 3 ending up almost pure white and the others with large white patches.

Maka he'e lani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The public beach where I snorkel has a few of these I have been photographing for about 10 years. I show them to other snorkelers but NEVER identify the beach online as there have been illegal collectors sneaking in trying to capture them. Apparently if one has the gene it has the ability to pass it on as I have seen at least 6 of them over the years with 3 of them being almost pure white and others having large white patches.

Attachments

• 8240037.JPG
    8240037.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2018Oct2 (1).JPG
    2018Oct2 (1).JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 2015-9-30.JPG
    2015-9-30.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 46

Slicknick420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The public beach where I snorkel has a few of these I have been photographing for about 10 years. I show them to other snorkelers but NEVER identify the beach online as there have been illegal collectors sneaking in trying to capture them. Apparently if one has the gene it has the ability to pass it on as I have seen at least 6 of them over the years with 3 of them being almost pure white and others having large white patches.
they look amazing! wish i had public beaches to snorkel with fish like these to see lol

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was snorkeling in kawii and a lady walked buy me with a food bag on . I could not see through the fish for a good couple of min. It was awsome.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning variation (most likely albino gene?) - and obviously not a problem for them as the specimens look just as healthy as their yellow counterparts. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back