• Total voters

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, who doses ammonia?

I do. In large amounts in my macro grow out and in small amounts throughout the day in my reef tanks.

13649278-1348-4AE2-97C3-123955B4207F.jpeg
Could you share how much you dose in mL per Gallon?

This makes alot of sense as corals use ammonia better than NO3 if i understand correctly. Ive always wonder why more people dont talk about dosing ammonia if that is true.

I mean i know our fish make it but how much really that the corals get to use?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share how much you dose in mL per Gallon?

This makes alot of sense as corals use ammonia better than NO3 if i understand correctly. Ive always wonder why more people dont talk about dosing ammonia if that is true.

I mean i know our fish make it but how much really that the corals get to use?

Thanks!
For my mixed reef - 6 times a day it gets dosed 2 mL (every 2 hours, as I do not dose after lights out)
For my fish barn setup (about 500 gallons) - 8 times a day it gets dosed 5 mL (every 3 hours)

For dose per gallon and how many times per day, that is kind of hard to come up. You have to know how much is consumed by your tank in a given time and make sure not to get anywhere near an unsafe level for fish. This also changes from day to day, so you need to find a happy medium. I aim for .1 ppm or so and watched my fish like a hawk when I first started dosing to the mixed reef setup.

I also used a Seneye, to begin with. But have since sold it and just keep the dosing the same, except when I go out of town for long periods of time. I then shut down that doser, just as a precaution.

But for the amount and how I do it, Austins ammonia (what I use) will raise ammonia about .1 ppm for every drop added to 6.25 gallons.. This means that 1 mL will take 125 to .1 ppm of ammonia. This level does not shift a seachem badge from "Safe" color and on a clean/new slide from Seneye, registered .08 to .12 ppm of ammonia.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my mixed reef - 6 times a day it gets dosed 2 mL (every 2 hours, as I do not dose after lights out)
For my fish barn setup (about 500 gallons) - 8 times a day it gets dosed 5 mL (every 3 hours)

For dose per gallon and how many times per day, that is kind of hard to come up. You have to know how much is consumed by your tank in a given time and make sure not to get anywhere near an unsafe level for fish. This also changes from day to day, so you need to find a happy medium. I aim for .1 ppm or so and watched my fish like a hawk when I first started dosing to the mixed reef setup.

I also used a Seneye, to begin with. But have since sold it and just keep the dosing the same, except when I go out of town for long periods of time. I then shut down that doser, just as a precaution.

But for the amount and how I do it, Austins ammonia (what I use) will raise ammonia about .1 ppm for every drop added to 6.25 gallons.. This means that 1 mL will take 125 to .1 ppm of ammonia. This level does not shift a seachem badge from "Safe" color and on a clean/new slide from Seneye, registered .08 to .12 ppm of ammonia.
Fantastic! Thank you for the info!! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back