Who is a Brown Jelly Disease, RTN, STN, Other Coral Ailments Expert?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 8 weeks I have experienced numerous rapid death events for established corals in my 125 gallon reef aquarium.

The first event occurred on a 10 polyp duncan colony. Overnight, half of the colony died completely. After the second night, the other half died.

I posted related to the problem and one suggestion was brown jelly disease. The event was incredible. I removed the rock where the colony was attached and placed it in a established QT hoping to at least isolate the bacteria from my display tank.

Since then, I lost two other duncan colonies, two large hammers, a torch, and a cyphastria. All were located far apart from each other. With each, I removed the colony from the DT to a QT. In several cases I tried the cipro treatment with absolutely no impact. The deaths just occur too quickly. Understanding the concerns regarding cipro, I doubt I will try it again unless more evidence about its efficacy becomes available.

I've searched extensively on R2R for threads that might offer treatment solutions. I admit my searches may not have found valuable threads. Everyone wants to help and always ask questions about water quality. Problem is, no one seems to have a solution that can be effectively implemented when the rapid death begins. I still have a lot of established corals that look fine. And, by all means I diligently maintain good water conditions. I am suspicious that the problem arrived on one of two coral shipments I received several weeks before the first death.

So back to my titled question

We have a forum dedicated to treatment of fish diseases that receives 100's of questions every week. We have a fish medic team that tries to answer these questions.

Do we have any Coral disease experts who could provide valuable information to diagnose and treat coral ailments that go beyond water quality?

I'm fearful I will continue to lose a colony every couple of weeks until I have none remaining.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 8 weeks I have experienced numerous rapid death events for established corals in my 125 gallon reef aquarium.

The first event occurred on a 10 polyp duncan colony. Overnight, half of the colony died completely. After the second night, the other half died.

I posted related to the problem and one suggestion was brown jelly disease. The event was incredible. I removed the rock where the colony was attached and placed it in a established QT hoping to at least isolate the bacteria from my display tank.

Since then, I lost two other duncan colonies, two large hammers, a torch, and a cyphastria. All were located far apart from each other. With each, I removed the colony from the DT to a QT. In several cases I tried the cipro treatment with absolutely no impact. The deaths just occur too quickly. Understanding the concerns regarding cipro, I doubt I will try it again unless more evidence about its efficacy becomes available.

I've searched extensively on R2R for threads that might offer treatment solutions. I admit my searches may not have found valuable threads. Everyone wants to help and always ask questions about water quality. Problem is, no one seems to have a solution that can be effectively implemented when the rapid death begins. I still have a lot of established corals that look fine. And, by all means I diligently maintain good water conditions. I am suspicious that the problem arrived on one of two coral shipments I received several weeks before the first death.

We have a forum dedicated to treatment of fish diseases that receives 100's of questions every week. We have a fish medic team that tries to answer these questions.

Do we have any Coral disease experts who could provide valuable information to diagnose and treat coral ailments that go beyond water quality?

I'm fearful I will continue to lose a colony every couple of weeks until I have none remaining.
There’s a guy on instagram. You could probably google it as well. Look for the kfc dip. He’s got a whole tank process as well. It’s kungfucorals.com. Sounds bacterial

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest, currently I think everyone is shooting in the dark with these problems (I did that on military training, absolutely luck based (unless you cheat)).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back