Who is everyone using for shipping overnight priority?

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had to ship 3 bounce mushrooms on Tuesday. I haven't shipped coral in over a year so I went to FedEx to get a price. When the lady told me I almost fell over. $190 to Florida from Connecticut. It was 8x9x9 less then a pound. I thought surely I can get a better price from UPS. Wrong $173 for 9am delivery and $139 by 12pm . I also struck out a USPS, as they no longer do next day priority. If your willing to wait wait for delivery by 6pm then USPS is the way to go it's only 50 bucks. I was screwed I only charged the person $50 and I didn't feel like bothering him for more money. Fortunately someone recommended ShipNerd and ShipyyourAquatics.com. they get better deals buy buying in bulk from FedEx and UPS. I used shipyouraquatics.com who contracts out to FedEx. It was still $90 which I think is really outrageous for a tiny box. I think I will be sticking to my rule only local pickup. I was really happy with everything from shipyouraquatics.com it makes everything easy but the price bothers me. Anyone have another service they use that's significantly cheaper. For a hobbyist who only ships once in a while?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to ship 3 bounce mushrooms on Tuesday. I haven't shipped coral in over a year so I went to FedEx to get a price. When the lady told me I almost fell over. $190 to Florida from Connecticut. It was 8x9x9 less then a pound. I thought surely I can get a better price from UPS. Wrong $173 for 9am delivery and $139 by 12pm . I also struck out a USPS, as they no longer do next day priority. If your willing to wait wait for delivery by 6pm then USPS is the way to go it's only 50 bucks. I was screwed I only charged the person $50 and I didn't feel like bothering him for more money. Fortunately someone recommended ShipNerd and ShipyyourAquatics.com. they get better deals buy buying in bulk from FedEx and UPS. I used shipyouraquatics.com who contracts out to FedEx. It was still $90 which I think is really outrageous for a tiny box. I think I will be sticking to my rule only local pickup. I was really happy with everything from shipyouraquatics.com it makes everything easy but the price bothers me. Anyone have another service they use that's significantly cheaper. For a hobbyist who only ships once in a while?
If you went into the locations for shipping quotes, thats half your issue.

Online labels are on average 20% cheaper directly through the shipper.

Did you tell them you had live goods?
That might be another issue why the cost was so high if you did.

I dont have any sources for fedex but pirate ship is the most cost effective for UPS. I dont pay more than $60 for a coast to coast 7x7x7 box less than 2lbs.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with this directly, but I did talk to the shipyouraquatics.com guys at Aquashella and I was really impressed with how knowledgable and professional they seemed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back