Who makes your most favorite aquariums and why?

Do you have plans for a new tank sometime in the future?

• Yes but only as an upgrade/downgrade to what I have now.

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • Yes as an additional tank to what I have now. More tanks, YEA!

Votes: 221 27.4%
  • No but plans could change.

Votes: 122 15.1%
  • No, I'm content.

Votes: 153 19.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 2.4%

• Total voters

Spinal Compass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: Ya never know!

aquarium GIF
These panels were made here in Grand Grand Junction, Colorado. It’s 3 about feet thick. If you need one then I know a guy.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last tank I bought, I considered this question endlessly. I have several budget minded friends who would scoff at the idea of spending big money on a glass box. Save the money, put it into something that matters. That glass box doesn't make any real difference...

They're wrong. You look at that glass box every day. If you're not happy with the dimensions, the quality, fit, finish, edges, frames... quality and appearance, of that glass box, how could you ever be satisfied with what's in it?

Note, I'm talking glass boxes here... I don't like acrylic tanks. Just not my thing. Too easily scratched. I plan a tank for long term. I've never seen an acrylic tank more than a couple of years old that isn't scratched up.

You can add low iron glass to that, too. Too easily scratched. Don't care that it's a bit clearer, don't care that my old fashioned glass adds a green tint to the view. I want it to look as good in 10 years as it did the day I bought it. No acrylic, no 'starfire', no thanks.

Anyway, on with the glass boxes :D.

Size and Shape. Figure out what you really want. If you're lucky, you'll -want- something that's readily available. I _wish_ I had wanted a 48x24x24 120, or a 72x24x24 180. Unfortunately, what I wanted was different. I've got a nook that I want to fill, and taping off an area, I really want a 60" x 30" tank, with a 10" surrounding shelf. That's what will fit in this corner. Could I have gone with a standard 120 anyway? Sure... but would I have been happy with it? Nope.

Quality: My budget minded friends would never consider anything but mass produced tanks. All-glass, Marineland, Top-fin, that sort of thing. These were, frankly, never on my list. Quality, fit, finish... it's just not where I wanted it. 2nd tier 'premium' makers, Red Sea, Aquabox, etc... quality is better, but they don't do custom. 3rd tier, CustomAquariums.com, Planet Aquarium, etc... Much more of what I was wanting. Top shelf stuff... Miracles, Reef Savvy... Ok, now I can't justify the added cost.

So... 3rd tier. Call and talk to them, read reviews... Ended up being between CustomAquariums.com and Planet Aquariums. PA wanted to use a heavier gauge of glass for the same price... sounds good to me.

Build it. 60" x 30" x 18", drill these 4 holes, at these specific dimensions. Rim at the bottom, beveled and polished around the top, black silicone...

So, my custom Planet Aquarium tank was delivered, what, 4 years ago now? I'm happy as I can be with it, each and every day.

One of those budget minded friends picked up a used 250DD marineland tank cheap. Supposedly, it never had water in it, but who knows. Saved a bundle. Spent months designing and building a custom surround, built one of the glued up 'NSA' type rock structures for it, moved his old 125g reef over to the new tank, and the bottom seal let go.

Now... did he really save money on that tank?

Attachments

• FullTank100620.jpg
    FullTank100620.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 84

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been all over the map deciding on my tank. Previous 75 gallon Marineland tank for freshwater/discus. Wanted to go saltwater this time and have spent almost six months comparing, contrasting, and researching tanks while I saved For the start up costs. Was pretty close to getting an IM because I liked the tank dimensions, but the stand is definitely not my style, though it did have side access which is great. Would have had to buy sump and plumbing for below the tank as well, and that was a bit more than I wanted to spend to get the plumbing that would look nice and a decent sump. Red Sea looked good, but no side access to sump, no sump at all, and again, no plumbing below the tank.
Ultimately Cade is what I’ve decided on due to the quality, convenience of plumbing and sump set up, and customer service from Algae Barn Providing a full tank start up package with my choice of sand, some rock, salt, and Fritz Turbo. Since I had already purchased salt, they swapped that with extra Turbo. The tank is just a bit taller than what I initially wanted, but I love the stand that opens all around for easy access and the side that has cable management and controller mounting. All in all, the benefits outweighed the extra inch or two of tank height. The overall stand and tank height is perfect, so it all worked out. My 1500 S2 is on a truck headed this way! Will start a build thread this weekend as I prepare for arrival.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confession: the last tank I purchased has been in the crate for 17 months trying to arrange help to get it into my house. About 6 months after I bought that one, Innovative Marine came out with their 200g peninsula. That has replaced my dream 100EXT that’s still in work. Now just need to convince my wife to have both. :cool:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plans for any new tanks...about to move all my present tanks to a new house.
They are acrylic and a couple are 20-30 years old... but they can all look like new. I don’t want a glass tank even if it was free!

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the waterbox but mostly because their stands are great. The tank upgrade I am planning would most likely be a custom though, because I want a shadow overflow, synergy reef sump with fleece roller and such.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. For your next "aqua project" what aquarium will you go with and why?

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?
Is it an upgrade, frag tank, an additional tank, a species type tank or what?
1. I’m hoping to get a rather large tank, possibly 75 gallons+.

2. This will be an additional tank - no way a, I giving up my 29g. :p

I really want to get a Lion Fish if I go through with this tank. They are my dream fish!

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?

Well the Tiger Tanks are widely regarded as some of the best tanks of World War 2, but they were overcomplicated, overengineering, and difficult to manufacture and repair in the field.

The Sherman was easy to manufacture, would fit on standard railway cars, and had a good crew survivability statistic. They could also be repaired more easily. That legend of it taking 3-4 shermans to take down one tiger tank is a complete fabrication.

So if I had to have a next tank project it would probably be SCA for a good price/performance ratio and they make some really good looking Eurobraced tanks.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a year or two down the line, I'd like to upgrade my fluval 13.5 to something larger, possibly the fluval flex 32.5 or maybe something even larger. I'm content with what I currently have, though. It seems to work well.

jmantbbq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 130D. I have wanted one of these since they came out some years ago. Very impressed with the quality of it. It is small, 34 gallons so I added a 10gallon refugium. I think when I learn the hobby better I will upgrade. Maybe another bigger Red Sea.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to upgrade to a 150 or 200 gallon Red Sea reefer tank, I have heard they are great and I love that they come with a sump and are pre drilled and everything, I just cannot afford 3 grand for the tank I want right now

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with Miracles for my 500g, don't have it yet but the process has been great so far and the work I've seen from them is top notch. Unless I become fabulously wealthy then probably won't ever upgrade upgrade. Never in my life thought I'd spend 20k on a tank/stand/equipment and can't imagine how much a larger 2/3k gallon tank would cost (not to mention a house large enough to hold it)

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building the filtration for a 1000 gallon plywood tank build. These tanks are all for filtration.
B0691AE3-04E7-46E7-997C-C219AED5D208.jpeg
6444CF8F-083B-4042-A85A-FC32E621A217.jpeg
D977D97A-44F7-40F6-8998-C990B9FC36A0.jpeg

Attachments

• D1AC5FE7-18F7-4B6B-9F3D-022B81490A3A.jpeg
    D1AC5FE7-18F7-4B6B-9F3D-022B81490A3A.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 91

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back