Whos got a AI Nero 5 Powerhead?

motortrendz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone knows if this NERO 5 can be attached to a WB 220.6 with 3/4 inch glass? Will it hold? Bigger magnet needed? Screen guard a must?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback
3/4" glass or acrylic... absolutely not. I have half inch glass and it barely holds on. And I mean barely. An extra 1/4" thicker and theres no way itll hold! Theres TONS of threads and posts on the site about the magnets being way too weak. And AI so far has no intentions of making it better or stronger. Only thing you can really do(this is what I did) put a dab of glue(cyanoacrylate gel) on the wet side magnet to the glass. Thatll hold it along with the weak magnet from the dry side. It's worked for me. Not sure how well itll work on 3/4" but I'd think the glue would do most of the heavy work.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
I believe that the Nero 5 is rated for only 1/2" of glass.
It is but is stable on my 3/4" glass. As I said. . . any thicker. . . likely wont work. Youd think Ai being aware of this would produce a thicker magnet and boost their sales ???

motortrendz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It is but is stable on my 3/4" glass. As I said. . . any thicker. . . likely wont work. Youd think Ai being aware of this would produce a thicker magnet and boost their sales ???
Youd think. But that would be too easy.

What size is your tank?

And I'm really surprised it holds on yours. I have 13mm glass, which is slightly larger than 1/2" (about half a mm) 3/4" is the equivalent to 19mm. And a 1/4" thicker than my glass is. That's a huge difference..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Youd think. But that would be too easy.

What size is your tank?

And I'm really surprised it holds on yours. I have 13mm glass, which is slightly larger than 1/2" (about half a mm) 3/4" is the equivalent to 19mm. And a 1/4" thicker than my glass is. That's a huge difference..
Mine is 15mm - Just measured

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Other "knockoff" brands have figured it out. Coralbox, jebao and reefbreeders all have stronger magnets. Only difference is no app control. Personally I'm fine with that. For 400 bucks I can get 2 reefbreeders RP-m and a battery backup. 18 month US warranty

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I believe they have upgraded the magnets on these, to accomodate glass up to 16 mm or .625" thick. This is per a promo email I got from Premium Aquatics. Did anyone else see this? That's the only place I've seen it mentioned though.

I'd like to pick up a couple possibly but my glass is 1/2" thick and I've been skeptical if they'd work well. Maybe if the magnets really are stronger now I'll jump.

myakuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone knows if this NERO 5 can be attached to a WB 220.6 with 3/4 inch glass? Will it hold? Bigger magnet needed? Screen guard a must?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback
i have that 220 waterbox and attached two nero 5s in the overflow box, can take a look at my pics to see what i mean by that. working out great so far

Cooper5

View Badges
Reaction score
I believe they have upgraded the magnets on these, to accomodate glass up to 16 mm or .625" thick. This is per a promo email I got from Premium Aquatics. Did anyone else see this? That's the only place I've seen it mentioned though.

I'd like to pick up a couple possibly but my glass is 1/2" thick and I've been skeptical if they'd work well. Maybe if the magnets really are stronger now I'll jump.

Looks like they increased it by 3mm. Check out the earlier vs current specs from their site.

Old.png New.png

Do you have a frag tank and do you like fragging corals?

• Yes I have a frag tank and I like fragging corals

Votes: 92 18.7%
  • Yes I have a frag tank but I don't like fragging corals

Votes: 27 5.5%
  • No I do not have a frag tank but I do like fragging corals

Votes: 158 32.1%
  • No I do not have a frag tank and I don't like fragging corals

Votes: 60 12.2%
  • I have never fragged a coral

Votes: 155 31.5%

Online statistics

Members online