Whos got a AI Nero 5 Powerhead?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 questions. is one enough for a 72 bow to cover it all with no dead spots, 2 i will have some smaller fish, clowns, chromis, etc in this build... should i look elsewhere? tanks 4 foot
I.have about a 90ish gallon corner bow. I use 2. I love them. Just wish they'd fix the programming on the random mode. They rate doesnt change very fast and the anti sinc doesnt work in random.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
point taken! Back to gyre shopping it is.

You can always back a back guard from Melev's Reef which I did to avoid this from happening as otherwise this is a really good wavemaker. As long as the glass is not thicker than 1/2 inch and you don't need to angle it more than 15% you should be ok.;)

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input..I've never had an MPXX..food for thought...this Nero 5 was an upgrade from my old korrilas..but I've also been outa the hobby for 8 years...
I would recommend a gyre style wavemaker they far surpass all others IMHO the Maxspecter ones have a cover over the head and this allows you to direct that side at any angle you want and it's direction is independent from the other head so you could have the gyre upright in the back corner with one head blowing towards the front glass and the other head blowing along the back keeping all the ditritus away from the back of the tank.

Hey all, Trying to decide on flow for my new 72 gallon bow build. I would really like one powerhead on the right hand side of the tank only. Have been looking at Gyres as that is normally what i would use, but been reading about the Nero 5. Would a single do me or would i need multiple?
Go with a gyre you want the best? See my rey above this same goes for you.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a gyre style wavemaker they far surpass all others IMHO the Maxspecter ones have a cover over the head and this allows you to direct that side at any angle you want and it's direction is independent from the other head so you could have the gyre upright in the back corner with one head blowing towards the front glass and the other head blowing along the back keeping all the ditritus away from the back of the tank.

Go with a gyre you want the best? See my rey above this same goes for you.
I usually go with ice cap , but they seem to be discontinuing models, so hoping for a new model soon, if not I'll have to go with maxspect

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to pick up a Nero 5 in the Black Friday sales. The only thing that is putting me off is the reports of fish deaths.
I doubt that I would be running the pump at more than 50% in my Reefer 250. How much of a risk to the fish would it be?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to pick up a Nero 5 in the Black Friday sales. The only thing that is putting me off is the reports of fish deaths.
I doubt that I would be running the pump at more than 50% in my Reefer 250. How much of a risk to the fish would it be?
I hear they will all float down there... Honestly ive heard both sides of it. So im interested too.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great power head. I don’t think I’ll use anything else ever again. Been running on a few tanks about a year and I’ve cleaned it maybe twice just because I felt I should.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Buy a 3D printed rear guard from Melev’s Reef and you will be good to go

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 nero 5s I switched from the mp40s bc my tank is a corner bow so the ability to change the angle of the powerhead was great. It is also slimmer than the mp40 which is nice. I bought 2 guards bc I was worried about fish also, bc of all the reports, honestly the guards just collect algae... I removed them a month and a half ago. And I have no issues or concerns about my fish any more than with the mp40s. I like them. I just wish they would fix the software for the random mode bc you cant put them in anti sync. And also when you put it on the fastest changing speed it only changes once every 60 seconds. Where the mps were able to anti sync and were truely a reef Crest where it didnt sit at one speed too long

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 nero 5s I switched from the mp40s bc my tank is a corner bow so the ability to change the angle of the powerhead was great. It is also slimmer than the mp40 which is nice. I bought 2 guards bc I was worried about fish also, bc of all the reports, honestly the guards just collect algae... I removed them a month and a half ago. And I have no issues or concerns about my fish any more than with the mp40s. I like them. I just wish they would fix the software for the random mode bc you cant put them in anti sync. And also when you put it on the fastest changing speed it only changes once every 60 seconds. Where the mps were able to anti sync and were truely a reef Crest where it didnt sit at one speed too long

Frankly I would rather clean the rear guards because of algae buildup on a regular basis than potentially risk losing a single fish. The Canary Blenny I lost was extremely healthy and an active swimmer.

49FC2602-644E-47C0-9783-B67E70177FA5.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have mine on a 3/4" thick. Stays on, Any thicker- NOPE

Last edited:

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one 3 weeks ago and think I want more. Very powerful and Quiet. For 72 gal- I think three would be the tickey. One in center and one on each end
I think I'll start with 2, as I'll be mostly lps, choice sps and clams. If I need a 3rd, back wall sounds like a prime place.

feloracing26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone knows if this NERO 5 can be attached to a WB 220.6 with 3/4 inch glass? Will it hold? Bigger magnet needed? Screen guard a must?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does anyone knows if this NERO 5 can be attached to a WB 220.6 with 3/4 inch glass? Will it hold? Bigger magnet needed? Screen guard a must?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback
3/4" - Yes. 5/8 is a maybe and any thicker, it'll likely slide down the glass from light vibration. Very quiet unit

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back