Whos got a AI Nero 5 Powerhead?

Tureefik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gyres 230s on Waterbox 100.3 opposite sides and one Nero on the back glass angled in a diagonal pattern plenty flow
sorry bout the blue lights

image.jpg

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the voltage that the Nero run on? I know there has been talk of the lack of battery backup, wondering if maybe a re-wired tunze backup could work. Mine Tunze’s run off of a deep cycle 12v boat battery.

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be, never tried it, but setting it

I've not tried 90, but 180 is true anti sync (same as setting a slave vortechs into anti)I imagine 90 would create a lot of random flow which is good
Yeah it makes sense what he says in the video. I'm gonna try it too. Let's report back...

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be, never tried it, but setting it

I've not tried 90, but 180 is true anti sync (same as setting a slave vortechs into anti)I imagine 90 would create a lot of random flow which is good
Hey man. Did you try out the 90? I liked it but went back to 180. Not sure why lol. Can I ask what lights you have? Are those the Hydra HD's? What settings/times do you run? Thanks!

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. Did you try out the 90? I liked it but went back to 180. Not sure why lol. Can I ask what lights you have? Are those the Hydra HD's? What settings/times do you run? Thanks!

I went back to 180 as well, I think I preferred the movement with 180.

I might try it again but with the pumps power turned down.

I have 3 hydra 52hd on the tank and I run the setting from tony rogers on the AI signature page.

He linked me a newer version but it's not much different.

Screenshot_20190308_202910_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to 180 as well, I think I preferred the movement with 180.

I might try it again but with the pumps power turned down.

I have 3 hydra 52hd on the tank and I run the setting from tony rogers on the AI signature page.

He linked me a newer version but it's not much different.

Screenshot_20190308_202910_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg
Yeah same here seemed to like the movement better. I have 3 Hydra 26hd on my 120. I'm running a guy's BRS AB+ w/ reduced whites/r/g and some respite/clouds during peak. everything seems to like it. My NEM even came out so gonna leave it. I tried to make them come a couple hours earlier by adding points but it keeps changing everything before it. They are on 10:40 am until 10 pm, i want them to turn on around 9am but can't seem to make it work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if it's a bug.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can move the entire schedule by using 2 fingers on the AI app. Just drag it left or right

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thanks I knew that but I just want them to go on an hour earlier. I placed the time and click add then adjust. Repeat. But it keeps changing the entire 24 hours. I don’t know why

cbj25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This must be a dumb question because I cannot find the answer anywhere... can someone quickly explain the variances to me. Is high for high energy, rapidly changing speeds and so on going down. What would no variance achieve?

CedricT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still thinking to buy MP40 or Nero 5. I like the design of Nero 5 because it is slim and look more neatly than Mp40. But not sure Nero 5 will work as good as MP40.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still thinking to buy MP40 or Nero 5. I like the design of Nero 5 because it is slim and look more neatly than Mp40. But not sure Nero 5 will work as good as MP40.

I guess have to define “work as well”. E
How big is your tank?
I have both, plus Maxspect Gyre. Will it create lots of random flow? yes. Is it powerful? yes. If you have a Reeflink, I prefer that to manage the schedule of the Vortechs; but’s that’s an additional cost if you don’t already have. The Nero has an app for easy controls.

I don’t much care for the cord in the tank, got used to not seeing one with my Vortechs. I have questioned the strength of the magnet on the Nero; but it has been holding well and you also have the flexibility to angle/direct the flow.

Bottom line, you won’t go wrong with either. If you prefer the look of the Nero, I’d say go for it.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a big Nero 5 fan and always recommended that pump until it sucked my extremely healthy Canary Blenny into the rear opening and killed it. When I left my condo in the afternoon the blenny was perfectly healthy and swimming actively allover the tank, a few hours later I discovered it dead in the blades of the Nero 5.

I emailed Ai with pictures and stated that the issue was the openings on the rear of the Nero 5 pump which are too large, a hazard for smaller fish and that clearly caused the problem. I asked if they had any plans to offer a foam insert (their sister company Ecotech has it on their Vortech pumps) or a improved rear cover with smaller openings and Ai simply gave me brushoff. :mad:

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a big Nero 5 fan and always recommended that pump until it sucked my extremely healthy Canary Blenny into the rear opening and killed it. When I left my condo in the afternoon the blenny was perfectly healthy and swimming actively allover the tank, a few hours later I discovered it dead in the blades of the Nero 5.

I emailed Ai with pictures and stated that the issue was the openings on the rear of the Nero 5 pump which are too large, a hazard for smaller fish and that clearly caused the problem. I asked if they had any plans to offer a foam insert (their sister company Ecotech has it on their Vortech pumps) or a improved rear cover with smaller openings and Ai simply gave me brushoff. :mad:
Have you looked at 3D printed box or the like to protect the Nero? I need to pick one up for nem tank, as I actually do not like the foam covers as they hold a bunch of whatever and need to be cleaned/swapped frequently. But after losing a high $$ nem to an MP10, I keep them covered.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at 3D printed box or the like to protect the Nero? I need to pick one up for nem tank, as I actually do not like the foam covers as they hold a bunch of whatever and need to be cleaned/swapped frequently. But after losing a high $$ nem to an MP10, I keep them covered.

No I haven’t, I do not have access to a 3D printer nor have I seen any mention of someone doing this on R2R.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back