OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheleted copper is 1.75 (copper power,etc). This may be the cause of the spinal issue. Let’s cross our fingers she gets better in a sterile tank.
it was doing it before todays dose. It been about 48hrs since i noticed it

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was doing it before todays dose. It been about 48hrs since i noticed it

With Cupramine over .8 is toxic for the fish... if that lines up with the timeline for when it started :(

I hope she recovers... keep us updated!

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished 75% water change, thank god for my make up water station being ready in a instant. Tested twice with checker. level is now .25ppm. 1.28 was only for about three hours. As before i dosed tonight it was .55ppm. Thank godness for this form. I clearly mis read about cupramine.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished 75% water change, thank god for my make up water station being ready in a instant. Tested twice with checker. level is now .25ppm. 1.28 was only for about three hours. As before i dosed tonight it was .55ppm. Thank godness for this form. I clearly mis read about cupramine.

If I were you and if possible I would do 14 days once you hit .50 then transfer to a sterile tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I feed misis it went straight for it and ate. I figured it's a result of copper or whatnot, as it's been fine for weeks. Tank has hob filter and power head pointed at surface for agitation. Fingers crossed but not hold my breath
Either neurologic from drugs or a swim bladder injury (or as fed said - an injury). As long as its eating - hopefully it will get better - is it now out of copper.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished 75% water change. tested twice with checker. level is now .25ppm. 1.28 was only for about three hours. As before i dosed tonight it was .55ppm. Thank godness for this form. I clearly mis read about cupramine.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TK_KW don't feel bad about the overdose. This hobby has so much information to learn and a very steep learning curve up front, this is an easy mistake since other types of copper require this level. Good news is you have learned and won't do it again.

I actually had a discussion with @Humblefish about spinal injury today and he had some additional insight. Please note this quote is from him, not me, I am not that smart.

"I usually place the fish in an acclimation box or small aquarium with low flow. Many times the fish continues to eat (target feeding with a pipette helps), and if so I offer food soaked with metronidazole because there is some evidence that internal flagellates invading the spinal canal may at least be a contributing factor to spinal injuries. Sometimes the issue self-corrects, many times it does not."

I think the metro bound to the food with focus would also be a good addition or might help prevent further damage.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TK_KW don't feel bad about the overdose. This hobby has so much information to learn and a very steep learning curve up front, this is an easy mistake since other types of copper require this level. Good news is you have learned and won't do it again.

I actually had a discussion with @Humblefish about spinal injury today and he had some additional insight. Please note this quote is from him, not me, I am not that smart.

"I usually place the fish in an acclimation box or small aquarium with low flow. Many times the fish continues to eat (target feeding with a pipette helps), and if so I offer food soaked with metronidazole because there is some evidence that internal flagellates invading the spinal canal may at least be a contributing factor to spinal injuries. Sometimes the issue self-corrects, many times it does not."

I think the metro bound to the food with focus would also be a good addition or might help prevent further damage.

I'm currently about to actually start that, noticed white stringgy poop. Just waiting to get my focus. Its rediculious how a tone of these products I have to order online, as lfs doesnt carry many of these medication products.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently about to actually start that, noticed white stringgy poop. Just waiting to get my focus. Its rediculious how a tone of these products I have to order online, as lfs doesnt carry many of these medication products.

There are some real problems with accessing fish medicine in Canada and lots of conflicting information. A lot of animal drugs were recently banned and it's my understanding that this primarily focuses on livestock like horses and cows but somehow fish stuff are lumped in. Then it was only supposed to contain certain antibiotics. Now I am reading that even prazipro will require a prescription and copper based meds will not be carried - which as I'm sure you know is not an antibiotic.

It's something to keep an eye on and while it's a good idea to stock up this stuff (other then copper) doesn't last forever so if the situation does not improve this could be real problematic in the future.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canadians-please-read-heads-up-to-stock-up-on-meds.583583/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He’s just recently mentioned this to me as well. It’s nice to have a “hail-mary” for spinal injuries. Humble really doesn’t like to give-up on his fish :)

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some real problems with accessing fish medicine in Canada and lots of conflicting information. A lot of animal drugs were recently banned and it's my understanding that this primarily focuses on livestock like horses and cows but somehow fish stuff are lumped in. Then it was only supposed to contain certain antibiotics. Now I am reading that even prazipro will require a prescription and copper based meds will not be carried - which as I'm sure you know is not an antibiotic.

It's something to keep an eye on and while it's a good idea to stock up this stuff (other then copper) doesn't last forever so if the situation does not improve this could be real problematic in the future.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canadians-please-read-heads-up-to-stock-up-on-meds.583583/

I'm honestly currently finding out first hand how absurd this is. Especially when I had finally found out my red head had flukes. What's the treatment, right Praziopro/GC. Where can you get it, know where. So stupid. Find out you have a sick fish and can do **** for it. Luckily one of my employees crossed and grabbed me some. But had to wait days, that could in turn be the result of this fish's demise.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can be post effects of copper or infection to the bladder. Id wait it out and see if it goes away slowly before attempting any meds. The fact that it is eating mysis is a good sign

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back