Why are leaks always at night.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess what I got to wake up to 30 minutes ago.
A BIG POOL OF WATER ON THE FLOOR AND A DRIPPING SOUND YAYYYY!!!
This is leak no.3 from the same seam.
Maybe we will hit 4 or 5.
Leak 1 was the first time I was filling the tank. Sealed it and left it.
Leak 2 was July 15th at 3 or 4 am. Halfway patched it and waited till the day to reseal it. Reasealed the top with new silicon and the entire outside with some too.
Leak 2.5 it started spraying out water when i turned my pumps off for a water change 4 weeks later. Patched it with gel glue
Leak 3 sep 20, 2:30 am. Wake up to loud topoff then the faint dripping sound. Go look step in big pool of water. I go grab towels and gel glue.
I see the Leak is much lower than usual. So I try my best to patch it after closing off my overflow. I go back to bed with my cat and write r2r post.

I think he is the reason I stayed up long engouh to hear the dripping when the ato turned off. I am assuming a drop in Salinity because my rear section was almost full so the auto has been keeping it up.

I guess this is what I get for buying a 10year old innovative marine tank off of fb for 500$.

So much for adding a new light and go buying some more sps. :<

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is going to continue causing problems unless you completely disassemble it, remove every bit of silicone and rebuild it. You can't patch silicone seams. Sorry this has happened to you but it sounds like you have just been kicking the can down the road. Time to look at a new tank or a full teardown and rebuild so you don't have this issue occurring again.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is going to continue causing problems unless you completely disassemble it, remove every bit of silicone and rebuild it. You can't patch silicone seams. Sorry this has happened to you but it sounds like you have just been kicking the can down the road. Time to look at a new tank or a full teardown and rebuild so you don't have this issue occurring again.
Absolutely right. Silicone does not stick to silicone. Unless you get a 100% clean surface free of any silicone you are going to run into the same outcome. You gave it a crack or 4 and did not succeed. Time to learn your lesson and move on.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights go out, the water gets bored and tends to want to go looking for something fun to do! But seriously, as everyone else said, time for a complete tear own or a new tank!

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights go out, the water gets bored and tends to want to go looking for something fun to do! But seriously, as everyone else said, time for a complete tear own or a new tank!
Ahhh yes I see. That's pretty logical. I know red sea tanka have their auto water change systems.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to keep the leaking down or to a minimum for the next year? That's when I'll be getting a new massive tank. There's really no point on spending 2k$ for a tank I'll just haft to sell in a year.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with smoke alarm batteries. Middle of the night and always that low battery beep from somewhere in the house.
This one is often because the temperature drops at night, and since batteries rely on a chemical reaction power output can drop just enough to trigger the low battery alarm when they're already low.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to keep the leaking down or to a minimum for the next year? That's when I'll be getting a new massive tank. There's really no point on spending 2k$ for a tank I'll just haft to sell in a year.
No. The only way to stop leaks is to completely disassemble and reseal the entire thing. If you're upgrading in 6 months I might consider just putting everything into a Rubbermaid stock tank.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The only way to stop leaks is to completely disassemble and reseal the entire thing. If you're upgrading in 6 months I might consider just putting everything into a Rubbermaid stock tank.
Even if I keep that overflow box off?
It's in the left overflow so I can just seal off the gate and use just the other filter.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boat leek GIF

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tractor supply and ace sell 100gal rubbermade containers for 120$

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla Patch & Seal. It won't be pretty, but the stuff works as advertised. I put some over a 1/4" diameter hole on a 500 gallon plastic holding tank about two years ago and it's still holding tight.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have apex audible and battery powered audible alarms all around my tank for this reason. Always at night.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have apex audible and battery powered audible alarms all around my tank for this reason. Always at night.
I'll definately be getting some of thoes when i get a bigger tank.

The ato kept the return pumps from drying up I calculated there was about 3 gallons of water on the floor.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know flex seal tape works well enough. Buddy cracked his redsea sump when moving his tank and just slapped flex seal on it and it’s still leak free a year later. Could get you by until time for the new one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you're getting a new tank - there is a corollary question - "Why do leaks/problems always happen the day I leave on vacation?'. Best of luck with your new tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back