Why aren't stags more popular?

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some grow fast, have nice colors and have a great growth form. What's not to like? I have a tank that I would love to turn into a stag dominant tank, but there just doesn't seem to be much available. Why the snub? Are there any other members who work with stags?

image.jpeg

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love stags, they are awesome great growing corals, I think the main reason they are not as popular, is because they will take up so much space so fast, people run out of room for collecting. That is the main reason I got rid of most of my stags, is because they can shade out and dominate so fast. That being said, if I had a larger system, I would def. incorporate more stags in my system.

OP
OP
Artisan

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're probably right. Collecting is fun, but I'd like to fill out this tank in less time and on a smaller budget. I don't mind the shading issues so much since I plan to keep corals that don't require much light below the stags. At least that's the plan.

Here's my current scape. It's probably a little tall for stags at this point, but I can change that easily enough. I used a reef safe resin to to create the coralline. Unfortunately, I can't capture the color and detail under the LEDs.

image.jpeg

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been eyeballing some sps pieces and ran across a few stags from @Battlecorals . I have yet to actually place my order (around end of year I should be), Have heard nothing but rave reviews on his pieces.

His Battlestag, Bubblebath Unicorn, and Bleeding Tree are three of the nicest Acropora, period, in my opinion, and all three are stags.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're probably right. Collecting is fun, but I'd like to fill out this tank in less time and on a smaller budget. I don't mind the shading issues so much since I plan to keep corals that don't require much light below the stags. At least that's the plan.

Here's my current scape. It's probably a little tall for stags at this point, but I can change that easily enough. I used a reef safe resin to to create the coralline. Unfortunately, I can't capture the color and detail under the LEDs.

image.jpeg
One guy I know has a stag dominated system, and it looks awesome, your rock work looks pretty good to me! I would just look to get as many different colored stags as you can and let them do there thing. I still have a green slimmer in my system, I love that coral.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love stags myself, I even have a few, but my tank is way too shallow to focus on them. I'll probably have some serious trimming to do with the ones that I do have, but that's the beauty of SPS; you can trim them to work in your tank and get different growth patterns.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love stags as well. I left what I am calling "stag island" on the lower end of the tank to allow room for upward growth. Hard to see from this crappy pic, but there is a good 8-10 inches of room to the top of the tank. Still want to add a few more but will be swapping tanks shortly to arrange things nicer.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the anti stag corner. Yes they grow fast, but the are bulky and lose the refined sense of many nice small colonies of different size and shapes around the tank. It's like having one mighty oak in the yard instead of a plethora of well manicured cherry, maples, elms, and hedges.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the anti stag corner. Yes they grow fast, but the are bulky and lose the refined sense of many nice small colonies of different size and shapes around the tank. It's like having one mighty oak in the yard instead of a plethora of well manicured cherry, maples, elms, and hedges.

Trim however you like you can have one stick going straight up to the top of your tank if you like and a bunch of happy local reefers.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the trim has little to do with it. The stags generally grow thick and long, with a lot of space between branches. Great looking in 1000 gallon tank, not so much in the smaller home aquariums IMO.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stags r my absolute favorite I have 6 different color stags atm and always looking for more I have a 220 with the 30"deep so fast growing colorful and usally they r super Hardy and not as pricey they look incredible when grown into lg colonies

OP
OP
Artisan

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One guy I know has a stag dominated system, and it looks awesome, your rock work looks pretty good to me! I would just look to get as many different colored stags as you can and let them do there thing. I still have a green slimmer in my system, I love that coral.

Thanks, man. That's good to hear! A green slimer is a definite must. Hopefully I can track down some more nice ones. I'd like to find a nice blue one for a centerpiece with the green slimer behind it to add contrast.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back