WHY DO GREEN CORALS GET SUCH A BAD RAP?!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is no doubt that in this hobby we have an abundance of colors to choose from when it comes to picking corals. With that said, we all know that green is a very prevalent color.
But more and more we hear that everyone avoids the "green corals"

We think they get a bad rap for no reason. If you plan accordingly a little green never hurts! There are some absolutely STUNNING green pieces!
Below are a few of our favorites.

We would love to hear why you do or don't like green corals and show us some of your favorites!

TSA Fairly Odd

52006508344_0e41eee0d6_k.jpg

TSA Frozen Apple Zoas

51720925979_52e0d1eaad_k.jpg

Hologram Hammers

51127729843_7c4cd35bd0_k.jpg

Laura's Purple Polyp

52177193779_4776826284_k.jpg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, there are some beautiful green corals out there! They don’t have a bad reputation in my book lol. But my assumption is because there seems to be way more green corals then Other colors. But that shouldn’t ruin it for all green corals.

sastically there are more white color cars sold then any other color. That doesn’t mean all white cars suck. Not sure why people don’t like green corals.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree, there are some beautiful green corals out there! They don’t have a bad reputation in my book lol. But my assumption is because there seems to be way more green corals then Other colors. But that shouldn’t ruin it for all green corals.

sastically there are more white color cars sold then any other color. That doesn’t mean all white cars suck. Not sure why people don’t like green corals.

You'd be amazed how many times customers reach out and ask for some "nice corals" and we show them some green ones and immediately the say "No Green!" lol. Sometimes they don't even have green corals in their tanks. We definitely think there are some stunning ones out there!

We also don't mind a nice white car! lol

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I started out I was on a pretty tight budget, so I ended up with a full tank of green & light pink. I notice now that I tend to avoid those colors. So much so that I had to intentionally look for a couple striking green pieces for my current tank. I have a branching pavona that is an awesome shade of bright green… love it!

MiniGbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started out I was on a pretty tight budget, so I ended up with a full tank of green & light pink. I notice now that I tend to avoid those colors. So much so that I had to intentionally look for a couple striking green pieces for my current tank. I have a branching pavona that is an awesome shade of bright green… love it!
I agree. I started with way too many green acros. I’ve started selling them off so I could replace them with a lot more variety of color in the system.

That’s why I’d say no greens. They’re so much more prevalent I think. Don’t need any more greet ones at this point

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no doubt that in this hobby we have an abundance of colors to choose from when it comes to picking corals. With that said, we all know that green is a very prevalent color.
But more and more we hear that everyone avoids the "green corals"

We think they get a bad rap for no reason. If you plan accordingly a little green never hurts! There are some absolutely STUNNING green pieces!
Below are a few of our favorites.

We would love to hear why you do or don't like green corals and show us some of your favorites!

TSA Fairly Odd

52006508344_0e41eee0d6_k.jpg

TSA Frozen Apple Zoas

51720925979_52e0d1eaad_k.jpg

Hologram Hammers

51127729843_7c4cd35bd0_k.jpg

Laura's Purple Polyp

52177193779_4776826284_k.jpg
I wish my TSA hologram hammer had that much green. How much light do you recommend for that one?

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yeah a lot of green corals definitely get sold cheaper because most vendors struggle to sell them. With that being said we definitely think all tanks should have some really cool green corals in them!

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree. I started with way too many green acros. I’ve started selling them off so I could replace them with a lot more variety of color in the system.

That’s why I’d say no greens. They’re so much more prevalent I think. Don’t need any more greet ones at this point

Don't get rid of them all! lol

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish my TSA hologram hammer had that much green. How much light do you recommend for that one?

We keep ours right around 200 PAR. They also don't like super clean water.

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably two fold;
Those long enough in the tooth recall a time when corals were brown or green, that’s all.
Many SPS when not doing their best go green, you hear lots about browning but very little about greening.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Probably two fold;
Those long enough in the tooth recall a time when corals were brown or green, that’s all.
Many SPS when not doing their best go green, you hear lots about browning but very little about greening.

Very true! I could see how that contributes to the negative stigma around green corals

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s the how common green is. Don’t get me wrong, the color can be striking but I noticed in my tank I went too green. Green mushrooms, green nepthea, more green mushrooms. I’ve had to put some variety in there

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me it’s the how common green is. Don’t get me wrong, the color can be striking but I noticed in my tank I went too green. Green mushrooms, green nepthea, more green mushrooms. I’ve had to put some variety in there

Yeah green is probably the most common color, but a splash here and there never hurts lol

Back