Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a sample:

1587500533364.png

Pests wise, only thing I can think of is possibly bristle worms stinging them.
Beautiful shrooms BTW, that's a good possibility, bristle worm taking refuge under them causing them to bail out as it's the only thing they can do to get away.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful shrooms BTW, that's a good possibility, bristle worm taking refuge under them causing them to bail out as it's the only thing they can do to get away.

Thank you. So bristle worms is deff one of my theories for sure, so I started an active battle against them. All my shrooms are in my shroom condos, which are great for keeping them safe, but do create dead zones with detritus. So I am engaged in an active battle against both, worms and detritus. So far I am not winning. fritz sludge bacteria is not working, and I pulled out like 50 - 100 worms so far. But that's a whole other conversation.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are a couple months removed here but i have a shroom that recently detached itself and (i think it was my fault i moved it a few times when i should have just left it alone) and has landed in the sand behind my rock. My question is will it survive in the sand like that or does it need to be attached to some rock? I hate to keep moving it around.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know we are a couple months removed here but i have a shroom that recently detached itself and (i think it was my fault i moved it a few times when i should have just left it alone) and has landed in the sand behind my rock. My question is will it survive in the sand like that or does it need to be attached to some rock? I hate to keep moving it around.

If everything is cool with the tank and the shroom it will re-attach and stabilize. If you have a high flow, it may get floated around some more and land in an undesired spot. If you want to be safe get a mushroom condo. An example is in my signature - but there are plenty of folks making similar ones if you don't like one of mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For anyone interested / following this thread, I've been doing more research as to why mushrooms detach -- other than the standard high flow too much light scenarios. I do strongly believe it's either an infection / bacteria, or something is bothering the specimens - i.e. Birstleworms, Flatworms, etc.

At a recommendation of a friend I treated the tanks with Cipro (this treatment is not recommended, but I was running out of ideas) and surprisingly, most of my mushrooms attached within a week.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. All my Jawbreakers detached after recent nitrate overdose.
Outside of obvious reasons like flow and light idk. I do have many species and they all do like different light and flow as already said. Cant help with your current issue.
But I buried mine under a little course sand to get them to re attach. I've had to do it a couple times now with my turbos tearing stuff up. Works like a charm to get them re attached quicker.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of ironic as my mushroom was just starting to lift and I was wondering what it was doing XD here’s an image. You can just see it starting to lift on the pedal
07B2BC95-CD0D-4F31-B283-1D7352B9A168.jpeg

My mushroom coral has about five babies around it’s base very close to the mother coral. And they’re all a bit shaded so I think the coral is moving to give them more light so they can grow in.
This could just be something it does. Leave a few babies and move on to another place. After all every coral is adapted to fill in space. Real estate is the number one priority for every coral... that’s why they have sweeper tentacles, nematocysts, et cetera. So I think this could just be one of it’s methods for taking over.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is interesting. All my Jawbreakers detached after recent nitrate overdose.
Outside of obvious reasons like flow and light idk. I do have many species and they all do like different light and flow as already said. Cant help with your current issue.
But I buried mine under a little course sand to get them to re attach. I've had to do it a couple times now with my turbos tearing stuff up. Works like a charm to get them re attached quicker.
This is kind of ironic as my mushroom was just starting to lift and I was wondering what it was doing XD here’s an image. You can just see it starting to lift on the pedal
07B2BC95-CD0D-4F31-B283-1D7352B9A168.jpeg

My mushroom coral has about five babies around it’s base very close to the mother coral. And they’re all a bit shaded so I think the coral is moving to give them more light so they can grow in.
This could just be something it does. Leave a few babies and move on to another place. After all every coral is adapted to fill in space. Real estate is the number one priority for every coral... that’s why they have sweeper tentacles, nematocysts, et cetera. So I think this could just be one of it’s methods for taking over.

Appreciate your thoughts guys. Real-estate is not an issue for me as it's all in a frag tank with plenty of space and no dark spots, that's why I started the thread as the answer wasn't as obvious as most.

@LRT yes I share your experience with JBs. They seem to be the first to detach in my tanks also, most sensitive shroom to that experience.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your thoughts guys. Real-estate is not an issue for me as it's all in a frag tank with plenty of space and no dark spots, that's why I started the thread as the answer wasn't as obvious as most.

@LRT yes I share your experience with JBs. They seem to be the first to detach in my tanks also, most sensitive shroom to that experience.
JB's are the most finicky species I have by far. Beautiful shrooms but definitely not the hardiest I'm finding out. Wish I could have been of some kind of help for your situation here.
You have some beautiful shrooms man.
How do you run you nitrates and phosphates? And do you have certain species under higher par?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may not be an issue, my tank has enough room for all my corals but ltheir man adjective is to increase their numbers and have light. There may be enough room but still their ‘thought process’ is grow, claim land, have babies.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot more space in the ocean where they come from than in any container we humans can come up with. Just saying

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
JB's are the most finicky species I have by far. Beautiful shrooms but definitely not the hardiest I'm finding out. Wish I could have been of some kind of help for your situation here.
You have some beautiful shrooms man.
How do you run you nitrates and phosphates? And do you have certain species under higher par?

You are not going to like my answer. I test daily, unless I am not home then when ever I get back home. Phosphates and Nitrates get dosed daily to the exact amount I want them at, p at 0.08 - 0.1, n at 20ppm. Most mushrooms are at the same par level, some tiny deviation as some are under the light some are to the side. Not a significant difference.

It may not be an issue, my tank has enough room for all my corals but ltheir man adjective is to increase their numbers and have light. There may be enough room but still their ‘thought process’ is grow, claim land, have babies.

Of course - as the saying goes, life finds a way. But I don't believe floating is the way to do that. Mushrooms walk when they want to find a new spot. There's something to be said about foot health, if a mushroom lets go, I believe something deeper is going on.

There is a lot more space in the ocean where they come from than in any container we humans can come up with. Just saying

Thanks Jesse for the words of wisdom :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to like my answer. I test daily, unless I am not home then when ever I get back home. Phosphates and Nitrates get dosed daily to the exact amount I want them at, p at 0.08 - 0.1, n at 20ppm. Most mushrooms are at the same par level, some tiny deviation as some are under the light some are to the side. Not a significant difference.

Of course - as the saying goes, life finds a way. But I don't believe floating is the way to do that. Mushrooms walk when they want to find a new spot. There's something to be said about foot health, if a mushroom lets go, I believe something deeper is going on.

Thanks Jesse for the words of wisdom :)
I do like and appreciate your answer. I've been trying to accumulate as much info as possible on parameters reefers are keeping mushroom reefs at.
If you had to guess what range your par would be what would you guess?
I havent checked par but plan to next week when I get my new lamp. Couldnt tell you where mine are sitting right now but am seeing especially the bounces like and do better in more light.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do like and appreciate your answer. I've been trying to accumulate as much info as possible on parameters reefers are keeping mushroom reefs at.
If you had to guess what range your par would be what would you guess?
I havent checked par but plan to next week when I get my new lamp. Couldnt tell you where mine are sitting right now but am seeing especially the bounces like and do better in more light.

I am at around 75 par per Neptune Par Meter

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it down to number of things.

1. To much or not enough light
  2. To much or not enough flow
  3. Another Coral is to close
If its not happy were it is it will move good thing about mushroom they will try to look after them self and make good coral for newbies

Im having opposite issue i don't like the round rock that was placed in my tank by previous owner it the only round rock in the tank and mushroom has taken up residence on it so I'm working on a method of getting it on to a frag plug so i can remove the round rock from the tank

Im using a frag plug and few elastic bands to encourage mine off the rock and on to the plug

IMG-0952.JPG
IMG-0953.JPG

Fingers crossed it looks to be moving over on to the plug will know in next few days if it has worked

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tokash23 we didn't hear back from you - how's your mushroom doing? Did it settle down ok?
Well i tried to do my own shroom condo out of a water bottle but i have a pico tank and space is tight so i opted out of that. I turned down my flow and place the shroom on a piece of rubble and moved my light higher off the tank (its a par 38 bulb from amazon). It has been that way for a few days and it still looks upset. Im leaving it alone though i think part of the problem was i kept moving it around instead of just letting it be. I feed reef roids on Fridays before water change ill see how it responds to that and see if it has actually reattached itself to the rock or not. Thanks for checking in.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well i tried to do my own shroom condo out of a water bottle but i have a pico tank and space is tight so i opted out of that. I turned down my flow and place the shroom on a piece of rubble and moved my light higher off the tank (its a par 38 bulb from amazon). It has been that way for a few days and it still looks upset. Im leaving it alone though i think part of the problem was i kept moving it around instead of just letting it be. I feed reef roids on Fridays before water change ill see how it responds to that and see if it has actually reattached itself to the rock or not. Thanks for checking in.

Thanks for letting us know and please keep in touch and update us. Your plan seems good - let it sit there and get happy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back