Why do mushrooms detach?

Jovany Coronado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eclectus that has been in a shroom box for weeks and won’t attatch to rubble hopefully someone has some insight on this so I can fix the problem!

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi reefer do you have link of product you used?

I do not as a bought it locally at an LFS. It's an antibiotic, so it needs a prescription to get online or from an animal clinic. I couldn't get a prescription from any vet, including a local emergency clinic that has an exotic animal doctor. They wanted to see the patient. Any Ciprofloxacin, 250mg or 500mg should do the trick.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting us know and please keep in touch and update us. Your plan seems good - let it sit there and get happy.
Looks like my shroom did reattach and seems to be on the mend. Opens up everyday and did seem to respond to the reef roid target feed so hopefully it stays that way.

FrostyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eclectus that has been in a shroom box for weeks and won’t attatch to rubble hopefully someone has some insight on this so I can fix the problem!
I also have an eclectus I got a couple months ago and it took about a month before it started to look healthy and fully extended all day. It just attached this week, so it can take a while!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long term population of two types of mushrooms, reds and green striped. For me detachment is usually small baby mushrooms, budding off from a dense population.

Even when a larger mushroom detaches it always leaves a bit of tissue behind which starts another mushroom.

I have added more light to my tank recently and is does seem to keep the green mushrooms smaller and flatter, usually at the end of the day. One interesting thing I've notice is most of my bottom rock work which is shaded, tends to get colonized and they start the vertical colonization, except in one spot. I have this old piece of palm sized rock which does have mushrooms attached at the sand level, but have yet to colonize the top of the rock. It has been years like this. The rock seems to get a blast of light. I'm tempted to attach a different coral to see how the mushrooms respond. I tried something similar on a much higher platform and the mushrooms took over.

I've been blasting the higher platform to see if the mushrooms would detach, not much to report. They just lay small and flat.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back