Why do my blue corals always turn green?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the past....in the last 6 months I switched to a lower alk salt and have bumped up my nutrients. I know that was a major issue back then.....maybe I am just being gun shy now. Previously I would walk by my tank too quickly and something would start to bleach lol.
interesting. right now my tank is N/P FAT because of that same fear and running lower alk and higher light because of that gun shyness. Curiously my Tricolor Valida has finally turned tri color like you see in the Ad's. (depending on what ad you look at lol).

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks too bad I don't keep a log on my led color changes I have made. But it's a painstaking task to see the effects, some are fast (2 - 3 weeks) but mostly took months. It's very rewarding to see shades of color on normally montone colored acros.

OP
OP
Chris Kelly

Chris Kelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def believe you.
Once I understood what frequency was most effecting what cartenoid pigmentation I suspected an overdose)in my case(greening), and that increases and decreases would effect pigment production.

Mee too!

What light? Ther's some running kessil, but the blue is in fact not all blue

Gotta Link?
overdose of what?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting. right now my tank is N/P FAT because of that same fear and running lower alk and higher light because of that gun shyness. Curiously my Tricolor Valida has finally turned tri color like you see in the Ad's. (depending on what ad you look at lol).

@saltyfilmfolks - First of all , is that A hasselblad 500cm ? I own a 500 and a 503 and love them probably more than my reef :D

Anyways, coming to the high nutrient and blue spectrum stuffs, how high are you running now ? I stopped all my GFO and carbon and having only skimmer run to take nutrients higher. More PE and seeing colors improve. Right now am sitting at 12 ppm for nitrates and 0.1 for phosphates.
I need to look into teh led stuffs as my reefbrites are on for 10 hours and halides for 6 hours . May be cut down reefbrites to 8 hours a day - 1 hour before halide and 1 hour after halide .

Regards,
Abhishek

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hasselblad 500cm ?
Oh, your good! No the camera Pictured Is a 1940's Zeiss TLR, the camera taking the picture is a '68 Mamiya c330 w the 8omm bluedot. Its as close to the late 60s Hassy as I could afford.(im holding the release cable in my hand and using the Zeiss finder as my focus mark, the field was literally 1')

And yes Im running close to the same, my N/P have been higher lately as I just killed off a bunch of bryopsis. The coral is growing like a weed, but I have just a bit of brown in the skin where it should be pale. Most is the classic purple.

Without a meter(par or lux) it would be tough to gauge your DLI. As stated above
@saltyfilmfolks too bad I don't keep a log on my led color changes I have made. But it's a painstaking task to see the effects, some are fast (2 - 3 weeks) but mostly took months. It's very rewarding to see shades of color on normally montone colored acros.
It takes some time to see the results. Mine has taken a few months. My "green burn" took two at least to fade.

Im not familiar enough with the reef rights, do they not dim or ramp? Your photo period seem fine to me.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, your good! No the camera Pictured Is a 1940's Zeiss TLR, the camera taking the picture is a '68 Mamiya c330 w the 8omm bluedot. Its as close to the late 60s Hassy as I could afford.(im holding the release cable in my hand and using the Zeiss finder as my focus mark, the field was literally 1')

And yes Im running close to the same, my N/P have been higher lately as I just killed off a bunch of bryopsis. The coral is growing like a weed, but I have just a bit of brown in the skin where it should be pale. Most is the classic purple.

Without a meter(par or lux) it would be tough to gauge your DLI. As stated above

It takes some time to see the results. Mine has taken a few months. My "green burn" took two at least to fade.

Im not familiar enough with the reef rights, do they not dim or ramp? Your photo period seem fine to me.

Ofcourse , I see !! Yes I used the Mamiya C330 but its kind of heavy compared to the Rollies . Hassleblads were my first love even before reefing and I spent everything I had to get them .
May be we should chat offline !!! Nice to see an analog enthusiast.

Regards,
Abhishek

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks, mine doesn't ramp up/down. I have 3 channels, Blue/White/Warm multi colored on Arduino controller. Blue turns on at 5am till 9pm, white from 7am till 7pm, warm multi colored turns on at 12pm till 17pm but white channels turns off/on randomly during this period for 10 to 20 minutes to simulate clouds passing by.

bfliflet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Abhishek and @saltyfilmfolks I hope you know where the Hasselblad orginate from? Your right - Gothenburg - my home town :)

This house was the start of the Company

upload_2017-5-3_21-8-54.png

Sincerely Lasse

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe you can have too much blue light. Not to say adding white won't change things, but just having blue won't hurt the coral.

Jason Fox uses only blue light. Two of his propagation tanks use Reefbrite blue LED's and Actinic T5's. No white/red/green at all!

I'd encourage watching the whole session if you have the time.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe you can have too much blue light. Not to say adding white won't change things, but just having blue won't hurt the coral.

Jason Fox uses only blue light. Two of his propagation tanks use Reefbrite blue LED's and Actinic T5's. No white/red/green at all!

I'd encourage watching the whole session if you have the time.

I will but consider without a spectrometer you cant see whats in blue, or white for that matter.

In my case the Blue IS a very very narrow band, once I lowered the time of exposure the green went away.

Ill definitely watch.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the specific LED within the fixture can be identified, we can usually look up the spectrum break-down of whatever LED is being used.

Yes true. But I would have to look up either the declared values or use a spectrometer. And it would be really difficult even then to precisely identify the offending Nm. We could assume it was the Highest peak visible or was the combined frequency narrow spread for just too long. Too much violet or Aqua. Hard to say. I'm favoring between those two as that's the only color I reduced in time. I actually increased overall intensity.
The ai sol whites are an Aquablue btw. The Lisa time I saw green burn it was more Aqua as well but less than the sol.

I hope it's understood I'm totally blaming the user not the light.
But it is totally possible the ratio the manufactures used has a higher ratio of a blue. I'm using the factory set ups at even one to one ratios.

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know we are talking about blues turning green, but my homewrecker has turned all green as well.

When I first got it the tips had some pink to it, now the whole coral has turned completely green for some reason. Any suggestions?

I run t5 + Radion hybrid. Radions at 55 maximum intensity with AB+ program and 2 blue + and 2 coral + T5s.

Thanks a lot!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back