Why do socks get a bad rap?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate socks (filter in tank and on my feet!)

I don't mind particulate in the tanks (it's healthy), I saw way too many pods and micro brittle stars going down the sink no matter how well I rinsed them.

That's all life that is important for a healthy tank IMO. I refuse to throw that stuff down the drain for the sole purpose of making the water slightly more see through.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went from a Clarisea 5k back to socks. The Clarisea does help your water stay very clear, it’s nice for somebody like me who travels from a maintenance standpoint. I went back to socks because I was having issues with the water level changing causing my ATO to kick on messing with salinity on occasion. To me it’s this simple- socks equal another maintenance item.
I travel a lot for work my self (well, not so much right now...) I had that issue with socks when I was using them. If I was gone for a week or so they wouldn't get changed. They'd clog up and throw off the level in the sump, causing the ATO to run and drop salinity. I guess I could have solved the problem by just taking socks out before leaving, but oh well. They do a great job polishing the water though, plus sewing your own makes them a cheaper option than even poly floss in the long run when you factor in being able to wash and reuse them for a while.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 70.3 with two filter sock holders for the past year. I have 14 socks. I change them everyday and clean them in a washing machine every Sunday. Easy as can be. My water is crystal. I feed fairly heavily. Wouldn't change a thing. when I take the socks out I flip them inside out over a bucket. Pour the water in, the fishes love the copepods. The water is clear by the way. Also, 3 of the socks are 100 microns, so they really clean the water. I have no hair algae whatsoever in the tank and only need to clean a slight dusting of particles off the glass every few days.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 and I still use socks. I change them every 3 days and basically throw them all in a bucket until I only have 2 left (I have about 20 of them) and then throw them in the washing machine to clean. Why is everyone so against them? They seem to be doing a great job for me on filtering out all of the garbage in my tank. They're super cheap and they work. Am I missing something?
This is almost exactly what I do. I have 6 sets of socks. I rinse them out when it's time and keep them in a bucket outside. When my last set is in the tank I wash the others on Sanitary only using bleach, no soap. I set the machine to 2 extra rinses and I'm good to got for another few weeks. Couldn't be easier.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use socks for focused activities...for example, I put them in when I am vacuuming the gravel or doing other major maintenance that can stir things up. I will leave it in for a few days and then remove it. Otherwise, I tend not to use them regularly, as I have tended to forget to change them when I used them all the time in the past. Personally, I have found little difference in my tanks whether I use socks (or other mechanical filtration) or not. So, I consider them a tool that you can choose to use or not use in your tank.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a media baskets that fit in the filter sock slots of my sump and I just fill them will filter floss (polyfil) which is super cheap. Just throw away the floss 1-2x week and replace with more floss. Super easy maintenance and traps a lot of debris.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a media baskets that fit in the filter sock slots of my sump and I just fill them will filter floss (polyfil) which is super cheap. Just throw away the floss 1-2x week and replace with more floss. Super easy maintenance and traps a lot of debris.

Maybe I didn't get the right fill or I was doing it wrong, but, my issue with polyfil is that it seems to let stray strands of polyfil in the tank. I'm not a fan. But, to each their own.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use them.

Instead I use a power filter method - A Large sponge (designed for swimming pools) is attached to the intake of a small pump (Vectra S1) which is in my Sump middle chamber. This means I have great circulation which means no debris is left at the bottom.
I just replace the sponge every week (can last up to 15 days with little clogging) with a washed one. I have 5 sponges in and just soak and blast the removed one with rain water collected from my large water tub.

This method means that my 1st chamber gets all the food to feed the Pods, Shrimps, filter feeders and the one goby i have there gets lots of food.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a sock for the first year or two. Finally realized they werent necessary. Really don't see any difference after removing them, other than eliminating a pointless maintenance step.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I didn't get the right fill or I was doing it wrong, but, my issue with polyfil is that it seems to let stray strands of polyfil in the tank. I'm not a fan. But, to each their own.
That’s interesting. Can see that possibly happening, but I have never had this issue. I take a handful all at once and not in pieces. Works like a charm. And polyfil is cheap!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine every 3-4 days and when I'm down to the last pair I throw them in the wash. Whats the big deal? I thought about going to a filter cup and floss but after setting up my nano with media cup and floss, I'll stick with the socks. If you have enough of them and a big enough bucket, you can go a month between washings. Just be sure to have a lid on your bucket, p-eeeewwww

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 90g tank (5 weeks) with very little bioload ( < 6” total fish body, plus a shrimp). I feed twice a day, lightly, mostly eaten. Yet my BRS felt socks now clog up quickly, sometimes in less than a day. When they were new they lasted maybe 3 days. After washing they last much less time. Why? They aren’t collecting anything visible.

I have just ordered mesh socks. Maybe a better option for now.
I ran the mesh socks for a while, they seem to clog up really fast and let to much junk past. I'll clarify and say I do not run a refugium . It may work better having a fuge but I don't like all the junk in my sump

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everybody against them? Seems to me there are a group of folks that swear by them and a group of folks that do not. I think socks can be useful in smaller systems that may eschew things like skimmers, but are less useful in larger systems. I don’t personally use them on my system. In fact, I haven’t had any kind of mechanical filtration for decades. I just don’t find it to contribute much and just ends up as another disagreeable maintenance task.
What do you use ?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only run it a few days after a water change which is when I stir things up a bit. Just another tool in the box. I clean it in the sink and then rinse in the water I take out from my water change to get out the sink water/contaminant that dried in it.

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 and I still use socks. I change them every 3 days and basically throw them all in a bucket until I only have 2 left (I have about 20 of them) and then throw them in the washing machine to clean. Why is everyone so against them? They seem to be doing a great job for me on filtering out all of the garbage in my tank. They're super cheap and they work. Am I missing something?
Super cheap? Where do you get yours I believe I pay 20 each for mine 7”

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks, I use a sponge in my sump for mechanical filtration. I like my tank clear of debris. In my 30 years keeping my reef tank I have discovered that those tasks that require some effort get neglected. The easiest the better. Cleaning a sponge is fast and easy. No washing machines, bleach and having a bunch of stinky socks somewhere. Is important to keep mechanical filtration clean. No more than three days without changing or your debris will add organic compounds back to your water. The sponge is after the skimmer which will remove not just the small particles but also some large. Here is a video of my setup. old school..yes!
I can’t get the video to play has a slash threw the play symbol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back