Why does Chaeto Gro cause cloudy water?

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
29,666
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens every time like clockwork.

Dosing Tropic Marin A & K trace elements? No problem. Even high doses.

Chaeto Gro? The water will become hazy, cloudy, and foggy within 30–60 min.

I’ve dosed it sparingly over the years with the exact result. Every time. It happened with different bottles purchased years apart. Even with “smaller doses.”

It doesn’t bother me, but I just need to know why.

IMG_5431.jpeg
 
It sounds like precipitation, which would make the precipitate not bioavailable for the Chato, which doesn't sound likely. I wonder if the suspension fluid that makes up the bulk of the product needs a higher pH to keep everything suspended in solution. I would check the pH of the product to see what it is straight out of the bottle.
 
Thanks guys. That’s lame because I predominantly wanted it for the iron and manganese. I can dose it separately though.

I don’t know, but it might be manganese precipitation since they do not use an organic-bound form.
Is manganese (II) chloride tetrahydrate organically bound?
 
Thanks guys. That’s lame because I predominantly wanted it for the iron and manganese. I can dose it separately though.


Is manganese (II) chloride tetrahydrate organically bound?

No. The manganese gluconate that I use is, however.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new