Why has no one brought the DSR products to the USA?

Would you be interested in trying the DSR (Dutch Synthetic Reefing) method? (See this thread)

• YES! The tanks run on that system have me inspired enough to check it out!

Votes: 52 12.4%
  • No. I like the method I'm using and not interested in trying this one.

Votes: 85 20.3%
  • Maybe. I'd like to know more about it first.

Votes: 104 24.9%
  • I'm not familiar with the DSR. (check out the thread)

Votes: 177 42.3%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been following along with GlennF's reef system for a while now (it's CRAZY! If you've never seen his tank, check it out here!). He created the DSR (Dutch Synthetic Reefing) method, and I keep wondering why has no distributor stepped forward in the USA to bring these products here to the US?? I'm seriously jealous of my European friends who have access to this. LOL

Btw, if you've not seen GlennF's reef, here ya go... You're welcome!! :D

1.jpg

2.JPG

Photos by @glennf

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a quick skim

Appears to be Zeo with generic bottles of supplements

And typical heavy Euro Zeo T5s

How far am I off, and how?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following along with GlennF's reef system for a while now (it's CRAZY! If you've never seen his tank, check it out here!). He created the DSR (Dutch Synthetic Reefing) method, and I keep wondering why has no distributor stepped forward in the USA to bring these products here to the US?? I'm seriously jealous of my European friends who have access to this. LOL

Btw, if you've not seen GlennF's reef, here ya go... You're welcome!! :D

1.jpg

2.JPG

Photos by @glennf
DSR,been around since 80's?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One interesting thing about Glenn's method is that he was considerably ahead of the curve. Essentially, it's the philosophy behind the Triton method, which is testing for (and supplementing) major and minor trace elements. He started this the hard way - with lots of wet chemistry tests. One thing I've never been able to puzzle out is how he could prevent a significant sulfate/chloride ratio shift over natural seawater, since he's continually adding sodium with the sodium bicarb, and chloride with the calcium chloride. As the specific gravity is adjusted to match seawater, the sulfate content would naturally go down relative to the chloride, as most tanks just don't consume much magnesium (which would be the opportunity to add sulfate back in the form of magnesium sulfate).

It might well be that sulfate in seawater just isn't something that matters to our corals, fish and invertebrates.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need more info as many are unfamiliar with this method. We endured the same with Triton and then balling method. Too many methods. . . LOL

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a quick skim

Appears to be Zeo with generic bottles of supplements

And typical heavy Euro Zeo T5s

How far am I off, and how?
DSR controls alkalinity/ca, major and minors like Mg, K, Sr, S, I, Mn, Fe, etc. etc. Simultaneously controls N and P levels. Would be considered high N and P compared to Zeo. Doesn't involve a bunch of dropper bottles of whatever like zeo. Glenn does prefer T5 lighting, but has been adding in LED lighting recently. Uses a neat idea, the powerfilter. I use one on all of my systems most of the time. Works really well to control N and P if that's needed.
http://dsrreefing.com/powerfilter/

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR controls alkalinity/ca, major and minors like Mg, K, Sr, S, I, Mn, Fe, etc. etc. Simultaneously controls N and P levels. Would be considered high N and P compared to Zeo. Doesn't involve a bunch of dropper bottles of whatever like zeo. Glenn does prefer T5 lighting, but has been adding in LED lighting recently. Uses a neat idea, the powerfilter. I use one on all of my systems most of the time. Works really well to control N and P if that's needed.
http://dsrreefing.com/powerfilter/
The first pics have a bunch of zeolites in the sump, so he's pulling out ammonia before it breaks down like Zeo does

And he tests for trace elements that Triton does

I hadn't heard of ICP testing in 2015 when I got out. I assume and still assume that nitrate is in one of the blue bottles, probably Sponge Power. And trace elements are in the other blue bottles, assumption continued.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pics have a bunch of zeolites in the sump, so he's pulling out ammonia before it breaks down like Zeo does

And he tests for trace elements that Triton does

I hadn't heard of ICP testing in 2015 when I got out. I assume and still assume that nitrate is in one of the blue bottles, probably Sponge Power. And trace elements are in the other blue bottles, assumption continued.
He only experimented with zeolites. Not a part of his normal method and hasn't used them for years. He uses normal hobby grade test kits for testing. And doesn't do water changes, which is not Zeo at all as far as I know.

zie2695

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had my way the products would already be used in my household and I would be running a full DSR reef just so I could throw it in everybody's face that I was on to something long before anyone was willing to make the effort to bring this absolutely amazing method to the states.
The problem I have is that I can't figure out anybody to import the products to me, I've been referred to seaflower and I have conversed with them to only be forgotten about. I was literally inches away from making a deal with them to import the products to me in they simply stopped responding so I have made my efforts.
Believe me as soon as the products are available in the United States I will be the 1st one making a purchase and if Glenn Fong would be willing to set me up I am more than willing to build the 1st DSR display tank in the United States for references. I have personally been back-and-forth with Glenn for the past 3 years but simply in unable to bring the products in to the United States from abroad.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, it's pretty much the same as the triton method, with the exception of no ICP testing. The only odd thing I saw is you mix your own NSW with certain parameters in mind(including minor and major trace elements).

Seems like more testing that we all hate to do in the first place. Ever wonder why everyone's waiting on the trident, and all the others that are similar are selling so well?

Yoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, it's pretty much the same as the triton method, with the exception of no ICP testing. The only odd thing I saw is you mix your own NSW with certain parameters in mind(including minor and major trace elements).

Seems like more testing that we all hate to do in the first place. Ever wonder why everyone's waiting on the trident, and all the others that are similar are selling so well?
The testing time go just fine (i hate it to :p )

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back