Why I enjoy this hobby

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I got into saltwater 20 years ago when I was in high school. It was tough back then as there wasn’t much info available and to honest, people that kept SW fish thought they were kings. They wouldn’t help out others, wouldn’t share secrets and thought they were on a level of their own.

Fast forward - I had entered the corporate world. Worked for companies that safeguarded business models, sales and strategies. Cutthroat to say the least. Now after enjoying my time in the hobby, how things have changed. Coral sellers couldn't be more willing to share their secrets success. From WWC sharing their lighting schedule to chaos aquaculture sharing how to ship corals. Tidal gardens airing their dirty laundry to coral vendors selling others’ brand-named corals (WWC selling JF for example). In my local reef club, we also seem to embody this same ideology. We share, help and learn from each other.

Does the world have something to learn from us?

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottR, good to know this message is coming from a 20yr reef keeping veteran. I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been in old days.

As a newbie in this hobby, there is a lot to learn for everyone. I’m a true believer, ‘sharing is caring’. I’ve agree, there are a lot of people like want to share their experience in this hobby. However, I’ve came across a few or some LFS that doesn’t want to share it.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottR, good to know this message is coming from a 20yr reef keeping veteran. I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been in old days.

As a newbie in this hobby, there is a lot to learn for everyone. I’m a true believer, ‘sharing is caring’. I’ve agree, there are a lot of people like want to share their experience in this hobby. However, I’ve came across a few or some LFS that doesn’t want to share it.
I must clarify that I’m not a 20 year veteran. I had more years off than on. I spent a lot of time in the ocean during all those years however. It just helps me to appreciate the hobby even more.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I got into saltwater 20 years ago when I was in high school. It was tough back then as there wasn’t much info available and to honest, people that kept SW fish thought they were kings. They wouldn’t help out others, wouldn’t share secrets and thought they were on a level of their own.

Fast forward - I had entered the corporate world. Worked for companies that safeguarded business models, sales and strategies. Cutthroat to say the least. Now after enjoying my time in the hobby, how things have changed. Coral sellers couldn't be more willing to share their secrets success. From WWC sharing their lighting schedule to chaos aquaculture sharing how to ship corals. Tidal gardens airing their dirty laundry to coral vendors selling others’ brand-named corals (WWC selling JF for example). In my local reef club, we also seem to embody this same ideology. We share, help and learn from each other.

Does the world have something to learn from us?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Internet had a lot to do with the willingness of people to share success, look for a shoulder to cry on when disaster stuck, and provide a place to share general information. Competition is a compelling incentive to get on a band wagon and it's likely that sellers learned that the more people who can keep corals and fish alive, the more people will likely stay in the hobby and continue to feed their addictions by buying more...and more...and more... saltwater products and livestock. ;Drool

Back