Why is my coral like this?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count me very confused. My red cyano is still around after 2 chemi-clean treatments this past two weeks. My NO3 and phosphate have been in check for over 2 months (5 ppm and 0.05 ppm respectively) and never bottomed out. My TDS from my source water is 0 before I mix it with salt. Same with my ATO water. I also regularly run ROX carbon in a media bag which I change out monthly. I'm considering doing an ICP test now since I am not sure what else it would be other than some out of what metals or something (if that even is a cause)

Secondly, my corals have retracted over the past two weeks. My xenia, hammer, leptastrea and zoas are all receded. However, my toadstool, rhodactis shrooms, GSP, colt leather, and monitpora digi are doing fantastic as usual. And oddly enough, two weeks ago is when my duncan's tentacles started full extending and it's looking happier. I have not changed lighting and I have only changed flow by around 200 GPH when I tried to save my blenny. So I'm at a loss for what could have affected those corals other than chemi-clean. My Mg and Ca are a little low and I am raising them. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I did a water change 2 days ago and that didn't affect anything.

Here is a picture of what the Xenia looks like now
IMG_0557.JPEG

Here is the Xenia 3 weeks ago
IMG_0450.JPEG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I find chemiclean to be at times an alternative and not solution
While Xenia favor nitrates around 10, not all coral listed do.
My guess is a reaction from use of chemiclean
Moderate light and water flow and a little iron is what they favor.
If you haven’t since treatment, change water .
So why not the leathers?
The have CA a secretion called terpens that are toxins and may have released some and upset the corals.
this secretion also protects them

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find chemiclean to be at times an alternative and not solution
While Xenia favor nitrates around 10, not all coral listed do.
My guess is a reaction from use of chemiclean
Moderate light and water flow and a little iron is what they favor.
If you haven’t since treatment, change water .
So why not the leathers?
The have CA a secretion called terpens that are toxins and may have released some and upset the corals.
this secretion also protects them
Since the chemi-clean treatment I did change the water. That was 2 days ago. Should I just wait it out for a week or so and see if the corals start to open up more again?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since the chemi-clean treatment I did change the water. That was 2 days ago. Should I just wait it out for a week or so and see if the corals start to open up more again?
Yes- at least another 48hrs

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's cyano? Never had a cyano outbreak that chemiclean didn't get rid of, and I've had it bad in the past.

Do you run any carbon at all?
If I’m not mistaken it is. Chemi clean killed it when I first had a problem with cyano over 4 months ago. Then I had a bryopsis issue which I got rid of. Then this started two months ago. I run carbon and change it regularly
7CBD09F0-699D-48C3-AFEC-3427E75350E4.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats cyano. Just wanted to make sure.

Do you siphon the sandbed at all?

My last bad bout of cyano was only on my sandbed, matted up rather thick. Sucking it out daily, and siphoning the sandbed finally got rid of it.

I find rotting food in the sandbed, causes cyano 100% of the time.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats cyano. Just wanted to make sure.

Do you siphon the sandbed at all?

My last bad bout of cyano was only on my sandbed, matted up rather thick. Sucking it out daily, and siphoning the sandbed finally got rid of it.

I find rotting food in the sandbed, causes cyano 100% of the time.
I siphon the sand bed every time I do a water change, which is every two weeks. I also found a dead snail or two. So it’s possible that may have been what was rotting too

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back