Why is my Devils hand coral closed(all other corals are fine)

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a devils hand Leather coral in my tank For almost a month now. From the day I brought him home until yesterday it was always fine. This morning it was like 2/3rds closed and only a few polyps out. Now it’s still like 2/3 closed and no polyps out. I haven’t changed any light settings or moved any wave makers. I’m about 4 days out from when I do my monthly water change. All the other corals in my tank are open and healthy looking. I also have a toadstool leather Coral in the tank that’s nice and open with all polyps extended....

salinty 1.025
ph 8.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a devils hand Leather coral in my tank For almost a month now. From the day I brought him home until yesterday it was always fine. This morning it was like 2/3rds closed and only a few polyps out. Now it’s still like 2/3 closed and no polyps out. I haven’t changed any light settings or moved any wave makers. I’m about 4 days out from when I do my monthly water change. All the other corals in my tank are open and healthy looking. I also have a toadstool leather Coral in the tank that’s nice and open with all polyps extended....

salinty 1.025
ph 8.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
Pic but if it looks all shiny it will soon shed

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another coral that almost never has polyps out but it continues to grow. I think mine wants a water change but the rest of the tank is growing nicely so I'm not going to make any sudden changes just yet.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be getting ready to molt. Mine acts weird all the time. Sometimes it will look like a chewed up piece of bubblegum and the next day it will be fluffy and beautiful o_O
Ok say day 2 he’s pretty much all the way open but no polyps. Is it molting or just being tempremental?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO most likely shedding... Softies are my game, theyre extremely tolerant to parameter changes.. and at times theyll go dormant and begin the shedding process, my long polyp has been closed for 4 days, jsut today started poking polyps out again. I dont worry much!

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about to shed. After it starts give it a turkey baste help along and make sure it's in moderate flow. When it reinflates it'll be double the size. Mine just did it.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about to shed. After it starts give it a turkey baste help along and make sure it's in moderate flow. When it reinflates it'll be double the size. Mine just did it.
It’s currently in high flow as all the reading I did said the leathers like light and high flow. Should I slow down the wave maker near it or what?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s currently in high flow as all the reading I did said the leathers like light and high flow. Should I slow down the wave maker near it or what?
No you're good!
My sinularia loves high flow high light my devils hand likes moderate. When I first got then they were switched and the devils hand didn't seem to care either way. The sinularia Def reacted better to high flow though.

It took about a day for it to shed and another day for it to re inflate but when it did I could've sworn in doubled!

I honestly thought it was dying at first. Got all small and shriveled I could've sworn It was discolored. It never even got shiny!

Then one day I saw the shed coming off and that was that!

Out of curiosity can I see a Pic of yours!?

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It closed up in just the past few minutes. But yesterday it did the same thing where it closed more in the afternoon.

0079EEA2-13B6-41AA-BF6C-B8DF64B6DBCD.jpeg

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It closed up in just the past few minutes. But yesterday it did the same thing where it closed more in the afternoon.

0079EEA2-13B6-41AA-BF6C-B8DF64B6DBCD.jpeg
Yeha it's doing what mine did. Mine just closed during lights out and got tight. Then in the lights it would half upen but no polyps.

I'm sure you'll be good!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back