Why is reef aquascaping so unexplored when compared to freshwater?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have a reef tank, creating a much smaller aquascape becomes easier and you will not be tempted to deviate from the original design you proposed yourself to achieve. You will also be able to achieve it a lot faster.

I am currently trying to create something similir to that photoshopped picture I posted earlier and I am growing the GSP pieces in my main tank.

I'm up to the challenge. I was looking at how some of my nepthia frags had settled in a new area and they are working at the moment with the design. I'm going to be more aggresive at pruning. I do agree that more restraint and patience is needing if working with a reef. Once something fills out and looks good it may be time for pruning. I doubt my tank will ever have a sharp artistic appearance since the softies I'm working with act more like hippies at a love in.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video that may help you

It's one of the few examples I can think of that takes reef aquascaping to a level close to the freshwater aquascapes.

I noticed it relies on big pieces and it creates an overall visual with low saturated colors where a few contrasting pieces really stand out.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that aquascaping in reef tanks could be improved, but I wouldn't expect it to go the route of fresh water tanks.

To me, the most amazing fresh water tanks are ones that look like above water landscapes with fish flying through the air. I'm fascinated by the ones with "waterfalls" of sand, especially. I don't see that being replicated in a reef tank. The textures and colors cannot be mistaken for anything above the surface of the ocean.

It will take a year or 2 for my aquascape to grow in, but I do hope I will have something unique at that point.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like FW planted tanks, IME they are more work than a reef and can be almost as expensive.

The big reasons I don't think we have the same aquascaping as FW is that coral tends to grow much more slowly than plants. Plants are easier to lug around to shows and not die, they looks great when plopped in the water, no sliming or lack of PE. Finally stony corals are not all that easy to move around, many (and softies) bond to the rock so you need some sort of modular setup with plugs or plates and then drill a lot of holes in the rock. A lot of technical issues.

Not that it's impossible, but I think most reefers are happy just growing corals, perhaps when that becomes "boring" as the hobby progresses we will see more.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that emulating freshwater techniques, specially the ones that are inspired on terrestrial landscapes will ever be that popular with reef tanks.

It can be done though and I am very curious to know what would be the results when done by a true artist aquascaper.

The guys that create those incredible freshwater aquascapes have not only the eye and the artistic knowledge, but have also great experience in knowing which rocks, woods and especially plants, to use to achieve the desired result.

That is something that in reefing is still virgin territory.

I repeat: the issue of aquascaping is important enough that it deserves its own area in the forum and could help in bringing more attention to the matter and help to create a base of knowledge that would be more easily accessible to everyone.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite tank in the house is a non traditional freshwater setup. It has slate stacked across the back as a “bank” and it’s not all submerged. Most of the plant life is emersed as well, leaning over into the water only partially if any. My filter brings the water down as a waterfall effect. Add to it the light is a 24/7 so it cycles through the day. I have stared at this wondering if there’s any possible way to create an island out of the top of a marine tank, and house some land plants that can tolerate the salinity as well as have corals growing with macro algae’s. Using the eflux wavemaker to recreate back and forth waves splashing around the island. Will I be able to create this successfully? I doubt it. At least not currently. But as new things come out I will explore the idea more and more.
00EAC57D-7BDB-4FFC-B4A3-EFCA68EE3997.jpeg
5BAB8F30-79C0-4D2F-A352-A5442C94C13E.jpeg
12E14BBC-1710-44A0-AF7A-4A263ACB8A66.jpeg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal with my scape, aside from placing corals, was to hide everything that shouldn’t be seen. No pumps, overflows, returns or cables will be visible.
I see all these beautiful tanks ruined, in my opinion, with pumps in full view on the side. :(

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my honest opinion, most of the new reefers is concentrating more on the investment part of the hobby then making the tank look more reef like. This is most likely the reason it's rare to see a full mature colonies out there and fragging is the in-thing right now. It could be done, I have seen some really nice looking reef like tanks in the past not so, lately.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hobby that deals with a variety of subjects including biology, chemistry, pets, plumbing, lighting and so on and certain of these subjects will appeal more than others for each person.

People go to great lengths to maximize coral growth, have the best lights, keep parameters at certain levels, but most of us don't invest any time to learn how to make the tank look better.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stared at this wondering if there’s any possible way to create an island out of the top of a marine tank, and house some land plants that can tolerate the salinity as well as have corals growing with macro algae’s. Using the eflux wavemaker to recreate back and forth waves splashing around the island. Will I be able to create this successfully? I doubt it. At least not currently. But as new things come out I will explore the idea more and more.
00EAC57D-7BDB-4FFC-B4A3-EFCA68EE3997.jpeg
5BAB8F30-79C0-4D2F-A352-A5442C94C13E.jpeg
12E14BBC-1710-44A0-AF7A-4A263ACB8A66.jpeg

You mean like this.
Al's Atoll.jpg

I had limited success with "Al's Atoll", but did have plants survive for awhile, this was around 2012. The patch of moss in the center actually spread toward the water as well as upward, but that was where my ATO came in. The air plants did survive and grow. The most suprising success was morning glories, note open purple flower upper center. They would vine out, die back and appear again months later. I'm doing a restart currently but may actually go with marine estuary plants like seagrasses. I have mangroves which I aggressively prune and wire.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like this.
Al's Atoll.jpg

I had limited success with "Al's Atoll", but did have plants survive for awhile, this was around 2012. The patch of moss in the center actually spread toward the water as well as upward, but that was where my ATO came in. The air plants did survive and grow. The most suprising success was morning glories, note open purple flower upper center. They would vine out, die back and appear again months later. I'm doing a restart currently but may actually go with marine estuary plants like seagrasses. I have mangroves which I aggressively prune and wire.
Lovely! Yes I thought sea grasses would be very nice. I’ll be sure to subscribe when you redo it.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hobby that deals with a variety of subjects including biology, chemistry, pets, plumbing, lighting and so on and certain of these subjects will appeal more than others for each person.

People go to great lengths to maximize coral growth, have the best lights, keep parameters at certain levels, but most of us don't invest any time to learn how to make the tank look better.

As reefers we have differing opinions on what makes a tank look better.
For me it means actually making it look like a reef.
Shimmering light, not the alien blue.
No visible pumps, chords, returns or overflow boxes. Plan your scape to hide everything.
No frag racks in the tank.
No mixing of livestock from different origins.
This is what works for me.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As reefers we have differing opinions on what makes a tank look better.
For me it means actually making it look like a reef.
Shimmering light, not the alien blue.
No visible pumps, chords, returns or overflow boxes. Plan your scape to hide everything.
No frag racks in the tank.
No mixing of livestock from different origins.
This is what works for me.

While I don't necessarily practice every single one of these. I can't say I disagree.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These artistic freshwater aquascapes resemble nothing you see underwater, so when someone attempts to replicate them with saltwater, the goal can't be to make it look like a reef.

In fact, I can't remember seeing many reef tanks that remind me of the reefs I have seen. It's mostly brown and tan, except for the fish.

FB_IMG_1523996759624.jpg

This could so easily be done with GSP.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact, I can't remember seeing many reef tanks that remind me of the reefs I have seen. It's mostly brown and tan, except for the fish.

Your point is spot on for me. I had a marine tank in the nineties that was a 55 gallon. I loved it, but it was generally very brown and fleshy with only a few spots of color. My new system will be less natural looking with a real focus on color.

Your post got me thinking that the balance of any reef aquascape it seems is between function and form. In freshwater, the consideration is almost entirely form. Hence, it is difficult to compare the two. In other words, it would be difficult to aquascape a reef considering only form.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sp1187:

You were right in everything you said, right from the beginning: what looks good varies from person to person.

That being said, I believe most reefers feel a bit disappointed with how good their tanks look, but can't figure out a way to make it look better.

That's where these freshwater aquascaping techniques may help. Whether or not you decide to apply them, it doesn't hurt to understand how to use the rule of thirds, golden ratio, iwagumi, color wheel, creation of color schemes.

After all, it's just another way to make the hobby more challenging and complicated. :)

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your point is spot on for me. I had a marine tank in the nineties that was a 55 gallon. I loved it, but it was generally very brown and fleshy with only a few spots of color. My new system will be less natural looking with a real focus on color.

Your post got me thinking that the balance of any reef aquascape it seems is between function and form. In freshwater, the consideration is almost entirely form. Hence, it is difficult to compare the two. In other words, it would be difficult to aquascape a reef considering only form.

But when you can combine the aesthetics and functionality, what you get is poetry.

Prolude006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater aquascapes you are showing mimic larger structures in life in form and color so they are appealing to your senses. Saltwater, aside from mangroves, don't really extend into the land or have colors we recognize in any form on land or on any scale. Trying to recreate this with saltwater will look unnatural. The previous picture for example is underwater but in it's non-aquatic state its a mountain with grass growing on it, think bonsai. Reef tanks by default look more natural without artificially defining boundaries or shaping how they grow. Reef life extends where they want and those variety of shapes and colors is the fun in reef tanks, IMO. Something new and unique showing up all the time. If we are talking reefscaping I always pictured having shelfs, caves, drop offs and protected areas with only a spot of light showing...something like the picture from, dare I say, finding neemo......This seems natural in a way for reefs but is nothing like freshwater aquascaping. Amano felt he could not improve upon what nature creates in the ocean.
reef1.jpg

Back