Why No Waterbox seam failures?

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a support in the middle and I thought only the g2 has those. But a quick Google search tells me the g1 also has the support.

I've never seen a g1 in person so I can't comment on the build quality and finish on those.

Based on the piping it is a G1 with the support added It does not look like a G2 IMO

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterboxes are really nice, but still over priced for what they are. A custom planet aquarium is the best way to go in my opinion.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Waterboxes are really nice, but still over priced for what they are. A custom planet aquarium is the best way to go in my opinion.
Yeah, it really does seem as though custom is the best/likely the safest bet, especially for a larger tank.

I'm not even in the planning stages of my new display tank but when that time does come, it will very likely be a custom tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there any reliable manufacturer? I'm looking to return to the hobby and so far I see that RedSea is a no go, the stands from Waterbox and Innovative Marine are bad, and Innovative Marine has had leak problems and has customer service problems. I used to own an Elos... but they don't make a Nano size any longer. Are there any reliable brands left, or is it all a crap shoot?

Anything that isn't rimless (euro braced/has trim) would be a start.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine just sold his WB 180 gallon and bought a Planet 310. The first 310 came with an ugly gap between the top frame and the glass and they rebuilt it no questions asked. I must say it is an absolutely gorgeous tank!

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking the video, waterbox aquariums are made by the same factory in China that Red Sea uses.

Like Apple, “designed in the USA, assembled in China”.

As for the floating front panel - both tanks have the exact same design where the front panel is not supported by anything.

Given that Waterbox have only been around since 2018, it’s probably still too early to tell if their tanks are any better than Red Sea.

How do you know they are made in the same factory. The RedSea production video looks like a difference facility and the only matching part is the color scheme of storage racks.

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That BBB link is eye opening. After my experience with WB I’d never deal with them again. Had a few reefers over the years, never a jumbo but never have had an issue whatsoever.

I think lots of these “issues” are legit but so over regurgitated it becomes a look of a huge issues…circular news like our so called news outlets use.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking and Waterbox vs Red Sea tanks and the stock versions of both aren’t eurobraced and glass thickness is on the lower side. For example the WB 190 (60”, 190 gallon tank) has 3/5 inch glass compared to most others that size that are 3/4.

What was the fatal flaw with Sed Seas previous tanks that caused the failure. I am looking at WBs right now and curious if they are at risk for same problem.
The 190 is only 136.6gal for the display tank. RS and IM both use 15mm for their tanks around this size too.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there any reliable manufacturer? I'm looking to return to the hobby and so far I see that RedSea is a no go, the stands from Waterbox and Innovative Marine are bad, and Innovative Marine has had leak problems and has customer service problems. I used to own an Elos... but they don't make a Nano size any longer. Are there any reliable brands left, or is it all a crap shoot?
Look at tankmeusa.com I have not ever heard of any of Gaston's tanks failing.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new IM EXT tanks are built solid and also are competitively priced. I have a RedSea G2+ which have all the fixes so I'm not really worried about the G1 failures, but if I had waited another 3 months when the new IM EXT tanks came out, I would have really gotten the best tank for the money that wasn't custom from what I've seen out there as retail so far.

Last edited:

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a g2, right?
That's definately a G1. No red piping, single return, and no support lip for the floating glass. Looks like they just added the aluminum support that the G2 comes with. G2 also uses real plywood rather than the particle board Red Sea cheaped out on for the G1.

It seems after their success with the pre G1 tanks that were rimmed, Red Sea cut lots of corners to mass produce and capitalize on the G1 only to lose money warrantying many of them and fixing all the issues with the G2.

I've seen a handful of Waterbox leaks as well in the last year on the internet, but it's uncertain if the rate is lower or higher than the G1. In real life, I know about 12 people with a Red Sea and only 2 with a Waterbox, and none of those have problems yet - but it does seem there are quite a bit more Red Seas out there than other brands (just my guess).

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... - but it does seem there are quite a bit more Red Seas out there than other brands (just my guess).
That is definitely the case over here in west Europe. Every store sells red sea. Almost none sell Waterbox. And if they do, online only. I've never seen one in person in a store (or ever for that matter).

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely the case over here in west Europe. Every store sells red sea. Almost none sell Waterbox. And if they do, online only. I've never seen one in person in a store (or ever for that matter).
I believe there are legit issues with the G1 and they are ticking time bombs, but I also believe they are over represented because of their market share - I'd wager the seam breaks for over 5 year old tanks are less than 1% of all sold. Again, just my butt pulled guess from taking everything in.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine just sold his WB 180 gallon and bought a Planet 310. The first 310 came with an ugly gap between the top frame and the glass and they rebuilt it no questions asked. I must say it is an absolutely gorgeous tank!
I’m sure planet aquarium is great, but I don’t want to have to deal with an LFS for a tank. Too much middle man hassle.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new IM EXT tanks are built solid and also are competitively priced. I have a RedSea G2+ which have all the fixes so I'm not really worried about the G1 failures, but if I had waited another 3 months when the new IM EXT tanks came out, I would have really gotten the best tank for the money that wasn't custom from what I've seen out there as retail so far.
I’ve been looking at IM. I don’t like that the smallest they offer with an overflow is 50 gallons. I’m looking to set something up in the 20-30 range and I’m not sure I want to do an aio. I’m used to working with a sump.

I’ve also been looking at Fiji Cube. I haven’t seen any complaints about them as yet, and they make a nice 22 gallon with external overflow.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at IM. I don’t like that the smallest they offer with an overflow is 50 gallons. I’m looking to set something up in the 20-30 range and I’m not sure I want to do an aio. I’m used to working with a sump.

I’ve also been looking at Fiji Cube. I haven’t seen any complaints about them as yet, and they make a nice 22 gallon with external overflow.
Ahh, I see. Yeah I'm not sure what's a good brand for smaller nanos would be, although I don't believe you should have to worry much with the smaller stuff - there isn't nearly as much pressure from water, so I'd just suggest pick one that has all the features you like (for example the external overflow you're looking for) at the price point you're good with.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I see. Yeah I'm not sure what's a good brand for smaller nanos would be, although I don't believe you should have to worry much with the smaller stuff - there isn't nearly as much pressure from water, so I'd just suggest pick one that has all the features you like (for example the external overflow you're looking for) at the price point you're good with.
That’s a good point. That makes me lean towards Fiji cube. When I’m ready to go big I’m going to have a custom acrylic made. That’s what I had before and then I don’t have to ever lose sleep over leaks or failure. There’s also a company near me that does scratch removal wet or dry, but honestly I was always careful and didn’t really have scratch problems.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure planet aquarium is great, but I don’t want to have to deal with an LFS for a tank. Too much middle man hassle.
Then possibly glass cages would be another option otherwise you’re pretty much stuck with over priced mass produced time bombs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back