Why should I get a calcium reactor? Add your tip!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt get a calcium reactor with ph 7.9 or lower. Id get a kalk reactor.

I am leaning this way for now!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning this way for now!

A tank your size and consumption rate a kalk reactor will be useless. Just run a 2nd chamber on a CaRX to keep ph up

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A tank your size and consumption rate a kalk reactor will be useless. Just run a 2nd chamber on a CaRX to keep ph up

You really think so?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really think so?

I do, a kalk reactor couldn't even keep up with my tank. Adding a 2nd chamber to a CaRX makes a world of difference. Without one my ph dropped to 7.8-8.1 after adding the second chamber my ph returned to normal

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m struggling on wether to dump my AF dosing and going to a reactor. Especially with the BRS Black Friday deals. Currently up to dosing 400 mls/day. What did you end up doing @revhtree?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m struggling on wether to dump my AF dosing and going to a reactor. Especially with the BRS Black Friday deals. Currently up to dosing 400 mls/day. What did you end up doing @revhtree?
I think he went with Triton.

Fired up a 2 stage GEO cal reactor over an year ago, and love that thing.

Many ways to skin a cat, and good luck.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an older version of the Geo CR818. Its a good thing.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kalk stirrer and a vertex calcium reactor i purchased used. The geo reactor has great reviews, probably the best out there. Don't go with a Korallin Reactor was a pain and after using the Vertex never realized how bad it was. Always buy one larger than you need easier to dial in and less frequent need to add media as you want to keep it 75-100 % full for consistency.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vertex in my BRS cart while I decide. Cost wise it’s crazy by the time you buy all the parts and prices. Right now I have to mix new Aquaforest solutions every 10 days. Becoming a chore. I am worried about pH. My tank is in a basement and after calibrating my probes My high is 8.1 and low 7.75 with dosing. I use CO2 scrubber and my windows and sliding door are not exactly air tight.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vertex in my BRS cart while I decide. Cost wise it’s crazy by the time you buy all the parts and prices. Right now I have to mix new Aquaforest solutions every 10 days. Becoming a chore. I am worried about pH. My tank is in a basement and after calibrating my probes My high is 8.1 and low 7.75 with dosing. I use CO2 scrubber and my windows and sliding door are not exactly air tight.
Only reason I am using kalk stirrer is to help with ph. But I never worry about ph hardly ever goes above 7.8 unless windows are open. That is the problem when going to calcium reactor initial up front cost. Depending on tank size and calcium demand it is fairly cheap in long run. What you have for corals make a big difference monti caps really suck it up. On my 300 I go through about 7 lbs of media every 3-4 months and a 20 lb cylinder of co2 about ever 12-14 months. 20lbs of co2 cost me $24 including tax. so total cost for me is about $75 a year.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bruce Burnett
It's been awhile since we bumped into each other.

Have you been doing well?

Freddie
Actually doing well been kind of away from tank for a while. Was thinking about tearing down let it go for almost a year, but redid rock work and back into the tank.
You know sometimes you lose interest especially when the wife would just as soon you got rid of it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually doing well been kind of away from tank for a while. Was thinking about tearing down let it go for almost a year, but redid rock work and back into the tank.
You know sometimes you lose interest especially when the wife would just as soon you got rid of it.

Fully understand what your saying.

Just happy that you've been doing well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you been doing had not seen you posting much for a while
Bruce,
Things are well and thanks for asking.
Work has been crazy busy, but hanging in there one day at a time.

Mostly come on R2R on the weekends to keep life in-balance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back